Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Pulls for this past 07/02/14

2000 AD 1888 - Actually surprised to see Brass Sun back so soon. Pleasantly surprised. I wonder if we'll be seeing it more regularly with the American style single issue series being a thing.
EAST OF WEST 13 - Bonkers series is bonkers.
SONIC UNIVERSE 65 - Sort of flagging in my interest in this series. Its not bad, but the main title is just better.
TECH JACKET 1 - A new Tech Jacket ongoing! The digital-only mini-series from earlier this year was pretty great. And Joe Keatinge is the man. So I have a lot of excitement for this new series. Tech Jacket was my first Kirkman series, so I have a lot of affinity for Zack and co.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 31 - Hunter X Hunter ain't afraid to be completely fucked up. What Japan gets away with in their Shonen titles never ceases to amaze me.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mardroid

Last week my local Comic Book Guy (wonder if he minds me calling him that?) introduced me to the first issue of Mark Miller's Starlight.  While I'm not especially A Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers fan I liked this take on the premise and got the next three issues. (this after telling myself I'd go bit easy this month as I've been spending way too much on this stuff lately.

They'rehashing difficulty getting hold of the 2000ad summer  special and Royals... though.

Got chatting to another guy there... or rather he mainly chatted to me. Don't know who he was... Maybe the actual boss,  although I've never seen him before... and he gave me the first issue of Alan Moore's Miracleman! "It's on me." he said.  Ta very much!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 July, 2014, 08:33:40 PM
Last week my local Comic Book Guy (wonder if he minds me calling him that?) introduced me to the first issue of Mark Miller's Starlight.  While I'm not especially A Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers fan I liked this take on the premise and got the next three issues. (this after telling myself I'd go bit easy this month as I've been spending way too much on this stuff lately.

The thing is there is also currently the best Flash Gordon comic there's been for years and years out there as well. I'd argue the best since the original Alex Raymond strips which I adore. While I was a big fan of Jeff Parker's 'King's Watch' mini (which I've just read retrospectively) the first two issues of the ongoing have been quite brilliant fun.

Go back to the source I say!

Mardroid

They'rehashing difficulty getting hold of the 2000ad summer  special and Royals... though.

That should read "they're having difficulties...."

And they are. I'm not gonna badmouth them too much. The guys are friendly and helpful and introduced me things I wouldn't have read otherwise which have proved interesting. But picking up the certain orders over can be a bind...

They blame diamond and incoming orders, etc, yet I'm pretty sure I could source these things myself on the Internet in a few minutes. "So why don't I?" Mainly to support my local shop and to offer them a chance with things they wouldn't normally get! Works both ways, see. I introduced them to Dept. Of of Monsterology and the shop guy read and liked it.

The Adventurer

Are you in North America? Diamond is notoriously horrible at filling back orders for imported comics. It's a major reason I switched to digital.

It's not necessarily your shop's fault.

Mardroid

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 July, 2014, 08:50:45 PM

The thing is there is also currently the best Flash Gordon comic there's been for years and years out there as well. I'd argue the best since the original Alex Raymond strips which I adore. While I was a big fan of Jeff Parker's 'King's Watch' mini (which I've just read retrospectively) the first two issues of the ongoing have been quite brilliant fun.

Go back to the source I say!

Hmm. Food for thought, certainly. I seem to remember Miller getting stick for bringing out something unoriginal when this came out. I kinda like the fact that he took the basic premise.... Then set it years later when the hero is an old (but not too old) man, in a sore place, (just lost his wife to cancer) old adventures disbelieved and mocked by others.... Then bam!

Mardroid

Quote from: The Adventurer on 05 July, 2014, 05:06:41 AM
Are you in North America? Diamond is notoriously horrible at filling back orders for imported comics. It's a major reason I switched to digital.

It's not necessarily your shop's fault.

No, I'm in England.

The Adventurer

Oh. Well Diamond probably still blows. Because it's Diamond.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 03 July, 2014, 07:49:21 PM
Pulls for this past 07/02/14

TECH JACKET 1 - A new Tech Jacket ongoing! The digital-only mini-series from earlier this year was pretty great. And Joe Keatinge is the man. So I have a lot of excitement for this new series. Tech Jacket was my first Kirkman series, so I have a lot of affinity for Zack and co.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 31 - Hunter X Hunter ain't afraid to be completely fucked up. What Japan gets away with in their Shonen titles never ceases to amaze me.
Tach Jacket has been meandering around my pull list for a while. With a news series just started I might as well give it a try.

And you'd be amazed. HunterXHunter apparently got into a lot of trouble when parents saw what their kids where reading.

Mardroid

Has just read my latest pulls I found Miracleman so-so. Yes I know... blasphemy, and but the prologue 50s comic I found extremely corny. The two 80s stories that were published in Warrior were more palateable but as they're essentially a reintroduction to the character it's too early or tell but I'd be interested to see where it goes.** The rest of the strips (vintage stuff drawn and written by Mick Anglo) I found a bit corny but fun. Best to keep to the one character than the Kid and Junior business of the first strip. Ugh.

I also read the last three issues of Starlight. Good stuff. Swashbuckling fun. And lacking much of the shock nastiness of much of Millar's output. Although I think the original Flash was lacking the[spoiler] orgies, prostitutes and dismemberment[/spoiler]. Hee hee. (I've made it sound bad. It's not as bad as it sounds although this stuff happens.)

*The comic was split into 8 stories and an interview with Marvleman the first creator Mick Anglo.
**I think Alan Moore wrote these although his name is absent. Probably had his reasons due to the property dispute or somesuch.

PreacherCain

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 July, 2014, 03:59:57 PM
Has just read my latest pulls I found Miracleman so-so. Yes I know... blasphemy, and but the prologue 50s comic I found extremely corny. The two 80s stories that were published in Warrior were more palateable but as they're essentially a reintroduction to the character it's too early or tell but I'd be interested to see where it goes.** The rest of the strips (vintage stuff drawn and written by Mick Anglo) I found a bit corny but fun. Best to keep to the one character than the Kid and Junior business of the first strip. Ugh.

*The comic was split into 8 stories and an interview with Marvleman the first creator Mick Anglo.
**I think Alan Moore wrote these although his name is absent. Probably had his reasons due to the property dispute or somesuch.

I'm finding it odd how Marvel are choosing to reprint this. While it looks incredible with the new colours, mixing Moore's stuff in with Anglo's old strips is confusing. The opening few pages of the first issue (the 50s strip prologue) is written by Moore and is integral to events that happen later in the story... but the Anglo strips at the end are just straight reprints of old issues. And are mostly terrible. Padding out the issues in this way is frustrating and made all the more confusing by Marvel not being allowed to put Moore's name on it. 

Colin YNWA

To be honest the way they are (Marvel reprinting Miracleman) is making me wait longer to read it again. I've not owned it or read it for quite some time so I can afford to wait a wee (lot) bit longer to do so again. At the minute the individual issues seem poor value for money, so I figured I'd trade wait.

Now the first collection seems equally poor, so again I'll wait.

At some point I'm sure Marvel will have sucked it for all its worth and but a better value collection out. Then I'd bounce. I guess there might be considerable expense used to bring this out so you can't blame them holding out for a reward. I just wonder if they'd been a little more generous with their pricing and a little less so with their padding how many more would have snapped this up?

Mardroid

Quote from: PreacherCain on 05 July, 2014, 07:20:42 PM
I'm finding it odd how Marvel are choosing to reprint this. While it looks incredible with the new colours, mixing Moore's stuff in with Anglo's old strips is confusing. The opening few pages of the first issue (the 50s strip prologue) is written by Moore and is integral to events that happen later in the story...

Hmm. It had a kind of knowing tongue in cheek tone to it so being written by Moore would make sense. It's based on a plot by Anglo though.

Link Prime

I'm really enjoying the Miracleman reprints, as it is genuinely all new Moore for me.

The experience has been horribly soured by the extortionate pricing (fiver an issue) and inclusion of the completely unnecessary (and unwanted) Anglo reprints.

If I could go back in time a few months I'd definitely not have started picking it up in floppy format.
A comic hasn't felt this padded since the Meg was 50% Preacher reprints.

Colin YNWA

Its haul time.

Sometimes I feel bad that I use this thread in a different way to most of you. Most of you use this thread to say what ya going to be getting in a given week. Me I just yak on about what I've got and read regardless. I don't want you all to think I do this in ignorance of how out of step I am. I am aware and keep thinking I should start a new thread with this junk in... but than I get me haul and all I can think to do is share, share, share 'cos...

IT'S HAUL TIME

I've talked about Brass Sun elsewhere, but if I was going to include it here it would be book(s I got issues 1 and 2) of the haul. Since I'm not talking about this glorious, wondrous, fantastic comic(s) here I won't. Hope that's okay too. But if I was it would be book of the haul.

Since I'm not I reckon books of the haul goes to Sex 14 a fantastic issue of a great series that I sometimes think drowns a little under the weight of its own title and the expectation that creates. It should have just been called 'Bloody Good' or something like that.

Its not all a bed of sticky roses mind. The Massive 24 a comic I normally love has me a little worried. The end of this arc stretched things a bit and felt a little improbable, after what had been a great beginning and middle. In the same way I'm also a little worried about were the series is heading as it reaches towards its finale. It'd be a real shame if it blow it at the last. We'll see. Also heading towards its finale is Fatale 23 but no worries there its chuffin' great and can't wait for next issue.

Batman 32 has finally done it I'm out. I'll get next issue to see how this bloody arc finishes but then I'm done. I think the series sells quite well in eBay so I might as well cash in and buy something nice with the proceeds. Wonder Woman 32 heads towards ANOTHER ending, this time however in fine style. As is Jonah Hex 32 though there is no real sense that the series is drawing to a close, which is kinda fitting. I'm gonna miss this when its gone. Same with The Victories 13 great build up to what I suspect will be an earth shattering conclusion.

Luckily its not all ending, in fact I have a new title. Winter World 1 is pretty straightforward action storytelling. Lets face it however Chuck Dixon and Butch Guice do pretty straightforward action damned well. This one might be a keeper. The Mercenary Seas 5 is likewise straightforward action, just not done quite so well. This one is hangin' in there though. C.O.W.L. 2 still has an issue of its trial to go but I really enjoying this, art and atmosphere are great. Hinterkind 9 and Lazarus 9 are a nice pair of... well issue 9s.

Flash Gordon 3 may well deserve issue of the haul but its had it two hauls running and I don't want Jeff Parker and Evan Shaner to rest on their laurels. BUT DAMN IT this series is fun!

If you want me to stop abusing this thread just say and I will... promise... maybe...