Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So also picked up Tuki saves the humans 1 online as I forgot to order it from my LCS and they's sold out.

Jeff Smith is a genius and this is by Jeff Smith. That is all.

Hawkmumbler

It's a good 'un, Colin. I owe you a debt of gratitude for getting me into Bone and RASL is right up on my to buy list but as an ongoing Tuki looks set to be a staple.

Colin YNWA

Rasl is very different to Bone. That's not to say its not great, it is, but very different.

The Adventurer

Very different. A lot more adult yeah. Overall I liked it, but it ran out of steam toward the end. I think a combination of delays might have contributed to that though. Gorgeous though. I should give it a reread sometime.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Cheat

Avengers #33
Kind of losing interest in this now. Doesn't help that the focus is on Cap, who I find pretty hard to side with.
3/5

Avengers World #10
Lovely art, but too many plot threads. A bit too SHIELD-centric for me, I prefer my Avengers more super-hero and less super-spy. Dropped.
3/5

Batman Eternal #17
The mystical plotline is probably my least favourite at the minute, but it's serviceable. Joker's Daughter is still a ridiculous character.
3/5

Detective Comics Annual 2014
Pretty standard Batman story, probably could have been squeezed into a normal sized issue without losing anything. Not a fan of the multiple artist per book thing.
3/5

New Avengers #21
In contrast to adjective less Avengers, really enjoying this. Pretty epic stuff. Nice to see Namor take the initiative.
4/5

Original Sin - Hulk vs Iron Man #3
Silly retcons aside, fairly readable. Nice reminder that Bruce is pretty clever too, but done without making Tony look like an idiot. Hoping for a twist in the final issue with regards to historic events, pretty sick of the whole 'everything must be connected' schtick.
3/5

Robots In Disguise #31
Strong issue. The title's always going to suffer in comparison to the excellent 'More Than Meets the Eye', but this issue sparked some hope in me that there might be some potential in the 'back to Earth' premise. Some top quality banter from Galvatron.
4/5
Meh!

Hawkmumbler

06/08/14

Steven Universe #1: From the same creative team as the TV series. Which is rad, BTW.

Complete Elfequest volume 1: Well, I might get it anyway. It's a series i've been interested in for quite some time.

Usagi Yojimbo Senso #1: New Yojimbo!!! A possible pick of the week.

Mars Attacks First Born #3: It's a fun little ditty, not setting anything ablaze but it's fun.

Spread #2: Am I really the only chap picking this up? It's bloody gorgeous.

Weekly Shonen Jump #36: A much more even week, even with a prity naff One Piece. One-Punch Man, Toriko and Blue Exorcist are always worth the entry fee. Announcement for D.Gray-Man volume 24 has me quivering for the series return. It's been 24 months oh my god!

The Adventurer

My Digital Pulls for 08/06/14

2000 AD 1893 - The current JUDGE DREDD story is one of those that I like on one level, and kind of hate on the other. I like Walter the Wobot, and I kind of like Ms. Grunderson. But their gags are kind of one-note and have always wore thin quickly. John Wagner is a good writer, so hopefully he's got something more interesting going on for this story. I hope.
INVINCIBLE 113 - Parts of last issue made me want to put my fist through a wall.  Lets see how angry this issue can make me! Go for broke Kirkman!
SONIC UNIVERSE 66 - So I learned an interesting thing earlier this week. Apparently Archie doesn't do price drops on their digital titles. As I'd been waiting for 64 and 65 to drop, only to watch them never budge. WEIRD!
TECH JACKET 2 - First issue was pretty good if a bit oddly placed. But it looks like this series is going places.
USAGI YOJIMBO SENSO 1 - Okay. A Couple things. A) USAGI YOJIMBO IS BACK BABY! and B) Its Usagi vs the War of the Worlds Martians. THAT IS A THING THAT IS HAPPENING.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 36 - It took me longer then usual to read last week's issue. Not sure why I dragged my feet. I really liked the SHIKIGAMI TWILIGHT DAYS one-shot. Though I was a bit unclear if it tied into PSYREN or not. It felt stand alone, but its opening and closing narration suggested it might be part of something bigger?

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Adventurer on 05 August, 2014, 08:48:03 AM
My Digital Pulls for 08/06/14
USAGI YOJIMBO SENSO 1 - Okay. A Couple things. A) USAGI YOJIMBO IS BACK BABY! and B) Its Usagi vs the War of the Worlds Martians. THAT IS A THING THAT IS HAPPENING.

I remember when he said that a good few years ago that he wanted to and was going to do a War of the Worlds/Usagi Yojimbo mash-up. Fair play to him that he got to do it!

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 04 August, 2014, 09:54:55 PM
06/08/14
Spread #2: Am I really the only chap picking this up?

'No'.

Read the first issue and loved it too.
Great stuff from forumite Kyle Strahm. Hopefully it's a big hit for him.
1st trade is on my list.

BPP

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 August, 2014, 12:52:03 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 04 August, 2014, 09:54:55 PM
06/08/14
Spread #2: Am I really the only chap picking this up?

'No'.

Read the first issue and loved it too.
Great stuff from forumite Kyle Strahm. Hopefully it's a big hit for him.
1st trade is on my list.

I sort of liked it till the reveal, which I thought was clunky as fxxk. Good art, great colours.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Link Prime

Next Time on New Comic Book Day MegaThread;

X-Force 8 (Spurriers series is now my only regular Marvel book, with the exception of the Miracleman reprints. A pricey but enjoyable read).
Starlight 5 (This is on it's pull-list-cull final warning. You hear me Millar?).
Judge Dredd: Anderson PSI Division 1 (I'll be picking this up on blind but reliable faith like most of you. Have already pre-ordered the jaw-dropping Weston cover).

BPP

Starlight is bobbins, but beautifully drawn bobbins. Its on my trade-wait.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Cheat

New Avengers #22
Poor art (check out how static the full page spread of Panther hitting Namor is), and lack of plot movement really killed this one for me. The events of this issue could have been told in 2 pages.
2/5

Superman & Wonder Woman Annual 2014
Not a bad chapter. Advances the plot. The panel of Wonder Woman checking her swing just in time could have been done better though, kind of killed what should have been a dramatic moment.
3/5

Action Comics Annual 2014
Definite downgrade after reading S&WW. A pretty tedious read, even if I'm enjoying the Steel & Lana stuff.
2/5

Action Comics #34
I really don't care about any of these new characters. Ghost guy. Raise the dead woman. Bleh. I've always hated the switch from Superman having heat vision to him having Cyclops-esque optic blasts, so him now having manga style super-ultimate-mega-optic blasts really isn't impressing me.
2/5

Original Sin - Thor & Loki #3
Good old scheming Odin. Tricked a bit too easily for my liking though. Not a fan of Angela, but Loki makes up for that. I do like Bianchi's art in the right setting, which this is, but it always comes across a bit 'samey' to me. I've seen it all before.
3/5

Original Sin - Hulk vs Iron Man #4
Nice ending, I liked the smart Hulk not being Banner. As suspected, Tony wasn't responsible after all, but as usual these days, there's always a little twist. An enjoyable little mini over all. And no Bagley this week, yay.
4/5

Batman Eternal #18
The Arkham plot is probably my least favourite, so showcasing pretty much everything but this week worked out great for me.
4/5

Tiny Titans - Return To The Treehouse #3
Not much to say about this. Very good, as usual.
4/5

Green Lantern #34

Not a bad issue until the last page. Highfather is just a white Darkseid clone now? Urghh. Why can't people just leave the New Gods alone?
2/5

She-Hulk #7
Pulido returns, immediately catapulting this back to one of my favourite books. Another incredibly fun issue, with an Eric O'Grady name check thrown in as the icing on the cake. Wish Pulido wouldn't do the repeated panels thing, but if it means he can keep a better schedule I can live with it. Overall, top notch.
5/5

Superior Spider-Man #32
Never read 2099, so found the first half pretty boring (I'm sure there were plenty of easter eggs I was missing), but picked up in the second half and really piqued my interest for the Spiderverse event. Loved Otto immediately figuring out it was an alternate reality and just accepting it and changing his plans accordingly. The Anna Maria thing was a bit creepy though.
4/5

Superior Foes Of Spider-Man #14
Hilarious, as always. From Silvermane peeking at Beetle on the loo, to the two page chase scene, Lieber's range and storytelling is simply perfect.
5/5

Moon Knight #6
Great issue, loving the done-in-one format. Intriguing little tale, and beautiful art. I had to stop reading and just stare at that panel of the illuminated New York skyline for a good few seconds, simply glorious. THe only negative is it's the last issue. Not sticking around for Wood.
5/5

Detective Comics #34
Very pretty, but I really can't remember what the plot is. I get the feeling I'd enjoy the plot if I could remember more about what's happened, but there's something about the previous issues that make them totally forgettable. Need to go back and re-read the arc I think. Groaned at Bullock saving Batman, but the scene redeemed itself with the handcuffing immediately after. Isn't Bullock supposed to be thin though in the Nu52?
3/5
Meh!

Hawkmumbler

Judge Anderson PSI Division #1: Mat Smith (not that one!) And Carl Critchlow? Oh yes, this is going to be good.

The Maxx #10: Blimey, one third through already. Still immensely enjoying this alternative super hero comic.

Weekly Shonen Jump #37: One-Shot from the author if Blue Exorcist. Essentially an advert for her upcoming collection of one-shots out next month. I rather think i'll enjoy it.

The Adventurer

New Comics for 08/13/14

2000 AD 1894 - Was surprised to suddenly see JAEGIR back replacing SINISTER DEXTER right in the middle of a 'to be continued'. I mean I'm glad its back, but it seemed kind of sudden. Also, does every Rogue Trooper spin-off have to tie back to Rogue himself at some point? I mean... yeah its his universe, but does EVERYONE have to have a tenuous connection to the guy?
ASTRO CITY 14 - So good.
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 263 - I feel like I've been stuck in this underwater level forever. New arc next issue though. I think
STAR WARS 20 - Final Issue. And taken from us too soon. One of the best Space Opera comics of the last 2 years. Star Wars done right.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 37/38 - Taking a break next week for the Japanese holiday. I will miss it.