New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Ended up checking out Multiversity. Two words. Dino Cop

Also, Captain Carrot.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

Hey, did you guys know Brendan McCarthy has got a new series running in the newly relaunched Dark Horse Presents?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54991

Because I sure didn't! It also looks a lot like The Zaucer of Zilk, so its got that going on.

I might have to bump up checking out the new DHP. But damn it, I just added one $5 comic this week. I don't really need another.

Colin YNWA

Beginnings and endings this week, and oh what fun.

Lets get the ending out the way. Forever People 3 marks the end of my association with that title. I don't think its that people don't get what Kirby was doing, its just that they are not as good. That's not judgement, its just something we have to all accept. From the mundane prole fan such as myself, to the supposed comics superstar, to the untouchable bearded or bald (perceived) comic diety. I often enjoy books that use Kirby's characters, but they have to be very good (Will Simonson's Orion), or very fun (Didio and Giffen's OMAC) to stop you thinking you just don't need any more and even if Kirby (inevitability) didn't get to finish what he'd started, there's little point reading someone else's continuation.

This also probably marks a bigger ending... but I guess I'll come to that in a couple of months as you never know.

The other ending is a happier one. The Saviors 5 marks the end of the first arc of this great title that no one's reading. The good news is the last couple of pages promise more to come of this late 50's B Movie classic.

Elsewhere in the movies Fade Out 1 is a great start and a solid continuation of Brubaker and Phillips work. Check out that Sean Phillips hey, his work is getting even better. Amazingly!

I've talked about Multiversity 1 in the thread of that name and it fun but nowt new, we'll see.

Likewise Little Nemo 1 is nowt new. It sticks very, very closely to the classic series, which while I really enjoyed my giant book of when reading many episodes in quick succession became a little hard going. I wonder whether therefore this will suffer the same fate? Well probably not as I sold that for a small fortune was it was very rare and too big and unwieldy to read comfortably. Anyway this was pretty enjoyable we'll see how it develops.

Finally Dark Horse Presents 1 an anthology I wanted to get before but was put off by the price. This new launch sorts out that issue and gives me the comic I imagined it would be. An eclectic mix of good comics with one to baffled me in the middle. Perfect!

The Cheat

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Annual 2014
Very disappointing. Loved Eastman's annual from a couple of years ago, so had high hopes for this. Art was great, but the plot was just tedious. Meh.
2/5

B.P.R.D, Hell On Earth - The Broken Equation #1
Satisfying read, as always. Hopefully this marks the beginning of some progression of the overarching plot, it feels like the current status quo has been in place for a while now and it'd be nice to see something big happen. Very Abe looking monster at the end there.
4/5
Meh!

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Adventurer on 23 August, 2014, 11:22:47 AM
Hey, did you guys know Brendan McCarthy has got a new series running in the newly relaunched Dark Horse Presents?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54991

Everyone who was reading The Strangeness of Brendan McCarthy thread knew....

Hawkmumbler

27/08/14

Bravest Warriors #23: Between this and Steven Universe, i'm thinking I perhapse have to much CN related material in my pull list. Might have to axe one or the other....painful choice.

Goon Occasion to Kill #2: Loved the first issue of this Eric Powell mini.

Groo vs. Conan #2: Liked the first one but wasn't blown away by it. This will decide if it gets the chop or not.

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #15: Sov Mecha-Godzilla? Why not.

Saga#22: Drugs are bad. Drugs are very bad.

Doctor Who 11th Doctor #2: Quite enjoyed the first one. Certainly more than the 10th #1. Think i'll get 12th #1 mind you, Robbie Morrison is scripting it!

Attatck on Titan v.13: Wel well well well. Seem's like I misjudged Erwins ability to be an interesting character.

Weekly Shonen Jump #39: Big chapter of One-Punch Man with lots of laughs. Lovely stuff!
-Also picked up Rohan at the Louvre, Araki's full colour french manga. Araki in colour is always lush.

Link Prime

A one-two punch week;

Saga 22- Continues to be a good read.
Bodies 2- I tried the first part of this Vertigo mini last month cause it was going cheap- glad I did, it's an excellent read. Elevator pitch; a disfigured body turns up in an alleyway in four time periods; Victorian times / WWII 1940's / present day 2014 / post-apocalyptic 2050. An investigation is launched in each of the time periods by the authorities. The Hook 1; each period in the book is illustrated by a different artist (4 x 6 pages each). The Hook 2; it's the same dead body in each period!

BPP

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 August, 2014, 12:17:37 PM
A one-two punch week;

Saga 22- Continues to be a good read.
Bodies 2- I tried the first part of this Vertigo mini last month cause it was going cheap- glad I did, it's an excellent read. Elevator pitch; a disfigured body turns up in an alleyway in four time periods; Victorian times / WWII 1940's / present day 2014 / post-apocalyptic 2050. An investigation is launched in each of the time periods by the authorities. The Hook 1; each period in the book is illustrated by a different artist (4 x 6 pages each). The Hook 2; it's the same dead body in each period!

I found bodies 1 pretty poor. The art seemed pretty substandard (except DO's art) the dialogue was often anachronistic and the stories just didn't grip me. The last one evidenced the problem - a racist beats an Irish thug to death during the blitz and is revealed to be a copper before a 'good cop' discovers the body... Big deal, I don't care a jot about the racist cop, he's not given me anything to be interested in him and his story. Great cover, storytelling completely derailed by the narrative 'trick'.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

It would appear Comixology listed the 11th Doctor #2 by accident. It was in fact the 10th Doctor #2 that was released in wednesday.

Hawkmumbler

Double post i'm afraid. Tumble weed week for everyone else?

03/09/14

Grendal vs. The Shadow #1: Never read any Grendal but love me some of Wagners Shadow comics so i'll give this a dip.

Usagi Yojimbo Senso #2: Loved the first issue. Bloody martians.

Mars Attacks First Born #4: Final issue. A fun series indeed.

Weekly Shonen Jump #40: HunterXHunter is on a break due to Togashi being ill again and no bi-weekly or monthly titles. So we get double Nisekoi (urgh) and two chapters from Jojo Phantom Blood. The repro work looks astounding.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 01 September, 2014, 07:27:46 PM
Mars Attacks First Born #4: Final issue. A fun series indeed.

Keith's work on this looks sumptuous. I'll go for the TPB.

This week, it's only a couple again;

Miracleman 10 (Marvel are churning these out quicker than you can blurt out the words "50% filler". I'm enjoying it though).
Deadpool vs X-Force 4 (Finale of this admittedly pointless mini. Fun in places, but yeah- I regret picking it up in floppy format).

BPP

Southern Bastards 04
Squidder 03
Elephantmen 59
God Hates Astronauts 01

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

The Adventurer

Been slacking lately...

Digital Pulls for 09/03/14

2000 AD 1897 - Michael Carroll is doing what he's best at in JUDGE DREDD. Grabbing loose ends, or lesser known continuity nods, and bring them together in a mini-epic. That's why he's the current "guy next to Wagner" guy right now.
GIANT KUNG-FU BIBLE STORIES One-Shot - Good news! Digital copy available on ComiXology! Yay!
TECH JACKET 3 - Last issue was pretty extreme in its implications for the future of this title. With Invincible in such flux, I can believe anything can happen here as well.
USAGI YOJIMBO SENSO 2 - Oh man. Oh man that first issue was really good.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 40 - Things feel a bit flaky right now. With HUNTER X HUNTER with a questionable release schedule. But WSJ promises we'll be getting EVERY new Japanese new series for at least 3 chapters. With the promise that series with a good reaction might stick around longer. So that will spice things up a bit. This issue has preview chapters for JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE, which is getting a new shiny digital release right now. Hopefully this suggests that WSJ is thinking about adding the JOJO ongoing to Jump. That would be WONDERFUL.

Hawkmumbler

10/09/14

Spread #3: Fans of Carpenters The Thing should be reading this. Bloody good stuff.

Doctor Who The 11th Doctor #2: More great stuff from the Rob Williams and Simon Fraser. Loving the feel of it.

Weekly Shonen Jump #41: HunterXHunter is now on hiatus until further notice. Bum. Well at least we got a new series starting this week, Judos. A maetial arts sports manga. Should spice things up a bit, give us a slice of life series instead of Nisekoi (urgh).

Heroic Legends of Arslan #1: Fans of Full Metal Alchemist rejoice (and if you haven't read FMA, you really should) because author Hiromu Arakawa returns with a new original GN series adapting the fantasy novels of the same name. Looks well nice as they say!

Link Prime

Last coupla weeks were quiet enough, so I've added two to this week's list I wouldn't have otherwise;

Annihilator 1 (New from two of the best in the biz- Morrison & Irving. Worth a look).
Batman: Futures End 1 (Was gonna skip this non-sequential issue, but feck it, I'll pick it up. 3D cover? Yeah, why not).

And two regulars;
X-Force 9 (Getting better and better. Entertaining, funny, shocking- Spurrier is ticking all the right boxes on this).
Anderson PSI Division 2 (Strong opener, I'm in for the four issues).