Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

Have to admit I've been making mental comparisons between the Fuse and Roche Limit.  I'll give the new title a few issues though just to see if it becomes more "out there" and sci-fi-y compared to the grittiness and reality of the Fuse.

SmallBlueThing

A couple I forgot:

The Walking Dead #132
Agreed that it's picking up again,  with the post-All Out War jump and the introduction  of the whisperers. This issue was particularly  exciting and I'm once again on tenterhooks for the next. 

Dr Who Eleventh Doctor #3
Despite not being a fan of this particular  incarnation,  I'm buying this largely because  of the 2000AD connection.  It's fun stuff and I'm probably  enjoying it more than the TV show at present to be honest. Can't bring myself to get the Tennant comics though,  but will try the Capaldis.

SBT

Hawkmumbler

So what Copperheads about? Hopefully not a D-list DC super villein?

The Adventurer

Space Frontier Town Has a New Sheriff In Town. She's Got a Kid, a Mysterious Past, and A Chip on Her Shoulder.

Its written by Jay Faerber, who's one of my favorite comic creators.

Preview Here

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Jesus, I've a huge week. The culling scythe must be redeployed- but where?
They're all so damn good;

Batman 35 (Beginning of Endgame. Price tag won't bother me at all if this turns out to be half as good as Black Mirror. Or Court of Owls. C'mon Snyder, c'mon).
Ragnarok 2 (No force on Midgard could stop me getting this comic- I really enjoyed the 1st issue, and will re-read it before starting this one).
Dark Engine 3 (A surprise addition to the pull list- recommended by my LCS, and I promptly picked up the first two issues. It's weird and wonderful- although mostly weird. A recognisable flavour of comic for 'Tooth readers).
Wytches 1 (Been anticipating this for ages, Snyder & Jock- on a new Image horror comic? Preview looked lovely. This literally can't fail to deliver).
Miracleman 12 (Another issue, a week later? FFS Marvel, yer bleeding me dry here. I've spent €60 so far on 12 half-comic reprints. I've never felt more ripped off buying any other comic in my life. And I bought Detective Comics 27 earlier this year. No, the new one. But it was 8 quid).
X-Force 10 (The best book Marvel currently produce, and only one I read. I met Spurrier recently and gleaned some spoilers from the gaps in his answers. The best may be yet to come).
Annihilator 2 (Wasn't that impressed by issue 1, but I know better than to doubt a creative team of this calibre).
Sabrina 1 (A 36 year old man buying a comic about a teenaged witch? Yeah, I know- but Afterlife with Archie is a personal fave and I'm looking for more of the same).
Dark Ages 3 (This is fantastic, isn't it? Two top Droids doing what they do best. Shame it'll end next month).

Phew

PreacherCain

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 07 October, 2014, 10:14:49 AM
So what Copperheads about? Hopefully not a D-list DC super villein?

It's Deadwood on an alien planet. And it looks lovely

PreacherCain

Quote from: Link Prime on 07 October, 2014, 07:33:55 PM

Miracleman 12 (Another issue, a week later? FFS Marvel, yer bleeding me dry here. I've spent €60 so far on 12 half-comic reprints. I've never felt more ripped off buying any other comic in my life.

Awaiting the inevitable trade paperback. I've downloaded some of these and I'm really liking the job they've done on the colours but apart from that, Marvel have really fucked this up, haven't they? Drip-feeding the Moore material like this has not worked out.

Mabs

Ah, my good friend PreacherCain, good to see you mate! Been a while! :)

Nice seeing your reading list on the previous page, might give some of them a go. What would be your top 3 titles right now, from the top of your head? Reason why I ask as I've discovered some real gems in the past thanks to your recommendations.

Cheers!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Is anyone reading Garth Ennis' Caliban right now? I read the first issue and absolutely loved it: it was like a cross between Alien and the good bits of Event Horizon, with some H.P Lovecraft thrown in. I didn't follow it up however, so I might have to settle on the trade when it comes out. Would be interesting to hear if any of you guys are enjoying it.

I'm also waiting for Robbie Burns: Witch Hunter. Don't know when the 1st issue is out though. Might have to check Renegade's website. From what little I've seen, I think it'll be awesome. I'm a big fan of Tiernan Trevallion's work, it's very reminscent of Duncan Fegredo's work on Hellboy.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

BPP

Quote from: Mabs on 08 October, 2014, 10:28:29 AM
Is anyone reading Garth Ennis' Caliban right now? I read the first issue and absolutely loved it: it was like a cross between Alien and the good bits of Event Horizon, with some H.P Lovecraft thrown in. I didn't follow it up however, so I might have to settle on the trade when it comes out. Would be interesting to hear if any of you guys are enjoying it.

I'm also waiting for Robbie Burns: Witch Hunter. Don't know when the 1st issue is out though. Might have to check Renegade's website. From what little I've seen, I think it'll be awesome. I'm a big fan of Tiernan Trevallion's work, it's very reminscent of Duncan Fegredo's work on Hellboy.

You mean Caliban: Fire and Stone (ahem!). Really liked it although the final page of issue 6 made me go more 'ummmmm' than 'woah!'. Although issue 6 is fantastic for that Garth Ennis meanness [spoiler]when he spends ages setting up the two characters accepting their love for each other and their vows to protect each other and he just fucking kills one of them straight off. ha![/spoiler]. Overall I think the story is generic but well written and worth the ride. The art is fairly ordinary and unfussy, sometimes distinguishing some of the crew from each other was not the easiest but that became less of an issue when they started thinning out the herd.

Can't wait for Robbie Burns.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mabs

Was it Jacen Burrows on art? I quite liked it to be honest, although I do agree, the characters look quite similar. I would love to catch up on the story, and as you say, there's a definite meaness to it. Which could be said for a lot of Ennis' stuff anyhow. It's very bleak, matter of fact kind of story telling. I want to read his other series as well, Rover Red Charlie.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Satanist

Caliban is alright - Moves away from the sci-fi aspect and turns more into a slasher movie in space as the baddie kills them off.

Rover Red Charlie was splendid though. Nice art and the idea of Apocalypse viewed from the eyes of the pets left behind is a good one well written.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

PreacherCain

Quote from: Mabs on 08 October, 2014, 10:09:30 AM

Nice seeing your reading list on the previous page, might give some of them a go. What would be your top 3 titles right now, from the top of your head? Reason why I ask as I've discovered some real gems in the past thanks to your recommendations.

Cheers!

Oh I'm always lurking somewhere in the shadows  :D

Ooh top three titles right now, eh... I'm really enjoying Sex Criminals (Image), She-Hulk (Marvel), Lazarus (Image) and Rat Queens (Image) is great fun too, if I'm allowed to sneak in a fourth.

Warren Ellis is getting all prolific again these days and all his three series are worth checking out; Trees and Supreme: Blue Rose from Image and Moon Knight from Marvel. Remender's Black Science is some top-notch sci-fi too.

OK that's more than three  :D

Mabs

Quote from: PreacherCain on 08 October, 2014, 06:41:03 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 08 October, 2014, 10:09:30 AM

Cheers!

Oh I'm always lurking somewhere in the shadows  :D

Ooh top three titles right now, eh... I'm really enjoying Sex Criminals (Image), She-Hulk (Marvel), Lazarus (Image) and Rat Queens (Image) is great fun too, if I'm allowed to sneak in a fourth.

Warren Ellis is getting all prolific again these days and all his three series are worth checking out; Trees and Supreme: Blue Rose from Image and Moon Knight from Marvel. Remender's Black Science is some top-notch sci-fi too.

OK that's more than three  :D

Cool! Trees sounds like an intriguing premise, read about it (I think on CBR) a while back. Moon Knight also a title I'll add to my list. I read the first issue of Sex Criminals and enjoyed it quite a bit, and as for Rat Queens, heard a lot of good word about it so I'll also be sure to check 'em out. That's quite a few comics to keep me occupied! Thanks for that mate, much appreciated! :)

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: Satanist on 08 October, 2014, 03:58:46 PM
Caliban is alright - Moves away from the sci-fi aspect and turns more into a slasher movie in space as the baddie kills them off.

Rover Red Charlie was splendid though. Nice art and the idea of Apocalypse viewed from the eyes of the pets left behind is a good one well written.

That premise alone is superb, that's why I can't wait to read it!

My Twitter @nexuswookie