Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

15/10/14

Dark Horse Presents 2014 #3: Lovely looking Brendan McCarthy cover. Quite enjoying this anthology, particularly excited for new Age of Reptiles.

Doctor Who 12th Doctor #1: Titan have done fantastic work with the 11th Doctor comic and this one is scripted by Rob Williams! Gonna be a fun one I hope.

Weekly Shonen Jump #46: Countdown to the end of Naruto. Oh dear, what a shame, i'm gonna miss it so much. Not..........OK, but how hardcore was this weeks One Piece, jesus christ!

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 14 October, 2014, 09:23:02 AM
Doctor Who 12th Doctor #1: Titan have done fantastic work with the 11th Doctor comic and this one is scripted by Rob Williams! Gonna be a fun one I hope.

Isn't it Robbie Morrison scripting? I wish we saw more of his writing in the prog.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Greg M. on 14 October, 2014, 09:30:12 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 14 October, 2014, 09:23:02 AM

Isn't it Robbie Morrison scripting? I wish we saw more of his writing in the prog.
Dingus dammit you are correct! Sorry Mr.Morrison, my mistake!

SmallBlueThing

Eleventh Dr#1 is on my list for this week.  They're apparently  doing an Eccleston one as well,  no doubt with sixty bazillion covers each issue.  With all the best will in the world,  I can't see that working.  Stripped from the context of series one,  as it surely must be,  Im not sure the ninth/tenth Eccy inarnation would be all that interesting.

My pick-ups over the last week  include DARK AGES #3,   which was joyous and which everyone here should be reading.  It's not the most original of comics,  but reads smoothly and raises the pulse.  Culbard's art here,  along with in WILD'S END,  makes me wonder what was up with Brass Sun in the prog and whether that strip would have benefitted from alternating artists after all. 

SABRINA #1 was very dense and entertaining.  Unlike Mardroid,  I did like the TV version (and in fact always enjoy mentioning it in favourable comparison to Buffy when someone brings it up) but this is nothing like it. The art is reminiscent of old-time horror comics from the sixties and early seventies,  bringing to mind Bernie Wrightson and Buscema/Chan. I think I enjoyed it even more than the first arc of AwA,  though as unexpectedly entertaining horror comics go,  the Lovecraft/Sabrina issue of AwA just pips it,  to my mind. 

Winter World #1&2 were crushing disappointments, and I won't be taking it further. Was hoping for a snowy mashup of Walking Dead and Whiteout, but got instead what read like a mid eighties independent from Eclipse,  short on incident and character,  lumbered with the art of Butch Guice, to whose work I've never warmed. 

Thanks to Dunk,  of this parish, I have also ploughed through CROSSED volumes 2-5. All I can say is "Christ!" and leave it at that.

Not strictly on thread topic,  but I picked up a nice, white pages copy of Marvel's Conan The Barbarian #6, by Roy Thomas and Bazzer Smith,  "Devil Wings Over Shadizar! ", which has been on my list for a while now. Wonderful stuff,  beautifully drawn and a classic story.  I am as chuffed as it's possible to be! 

SBT

The Adventurer

Digital Pulls for 10/15

2000 AD 1903 - Ohhhhh man. This line-up is so dang good. Even GREYSUIT can't keep me down in the face of all this Thrillpower
FABLES 145 - Last issue kind of pissed me off. The worst jobbing of good characters I've seen in a long ass time. More and more the series feels like its just rushing toward a conclusion, and just cleaning house.
SUPREME BLUE ROSE 4 - This series is seriously wacky. The best Ellis in a while I think.
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 46 - There are only 5 weeks left until Naruto is over forever. I am counting the days. You won't be missed. At least by me, I'm sure Shonen Jump is shitting their collective pants over losing such a cashcow.
WILD'S END #2 - Picked up issue 1 on a whim last week, after hearing some internet folk chat about it. Its War of the Worlds meets The Wind in the Willows, by two of my favorite comic creators. Its bloody good stuff.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

A few gudun's for next week (22/10/14)

Unwritten Apocalypse 10 (My complete read-through is only 2 months away).
Anderson PSI Division 3 (A great mini from IDW- I'm already hoping for a follow-up by Smith).
Starlight 6 (Apparently the final issue of Millar's interplanetary adventure- good fun).
X-Force 11 (I was gutted by the ending of issue 10- how could you do it Spurrier? I can forgive, but I cant forget!)

Another observation about next weeks titles; seems the ever excellent Coleby Droid is doing some work on DC's weekly Batman Eternal (http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=1368755)
I don't read this, but will have a flick through next week- if it is indeed Coleby on art duties I'll have to get it.

The Adventurer

I pride myself on enjoying heady science-fiction yarns, but Supreme Blue Rose is really starting to make smoke come out of my ears. There is so much jargon and pseudoscience and crazy ideas and weird mysterious characters.

I think I love it.

PreacherCain

Quote from: The Adventurer on 17 October, 2014, 01:11:33 PM
I pride myself on enjoying heady science-fiction yarns, but Supreme Blue Rose is really starting to make smoke come out of my ears. There is so much jargon and pseudoscience and crazy ideas and weird mysterious characters.

I think I love it.

:D

It's great to have Warren Ellis back, isn't it? Trees and Supreme Blue Rose are both bonkers in their own way, hard sci-fi and crazy concepts. And then there was his short Moon Knight run, picking up his done-in-one, "crash in, blow shit up, get the fuck out" syle from his similarly awesome Secret Avengers stint. No lame movie pitches here; this stuff is straight up comics.

Hawkmumbler

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #17: Heeerm. Seem's to be loosing some of the charm that was present in early issues. The new monster was a bit shit as well [spoiler]as it was just a few giant woodlice.[/spoiler]

Anderson PSI Division #3: Carl Critchlow is amazing and the fact that i'll never have a complete run on Lobster Random in hardback on my shelf is a bloody shame.

Weekly Shonen Jump #47: Kinda hoping èiDlive is the story to replace Naruto. Even if it's only fortnightly it'll still be better than Naruto. But I wouldn't say no to Judo's either....or we could just have Jojolion. ;)

The Adventurer

QuoteAnderson PSI Division #3: Carl Critchlow is amazing and the fact that i'll never have a complete run on Lobster Random in hardback on my shelf is a bloody shame.

Rebellion choosing to skip reprinting the first Lobster Random story with the Meg, so I could have a digital reprint of it, is still a bit of a sore spot for me.

I mean, I understand they probably have a warehouse full of unsold hardcover copies. But even when I was buying print like it was going out of style I wasn't gonna buy a book that didn't match all my other Rebellion trades.

BECAUSE I AM PETTY LIKE THAT *facepalm*

All I want to do is put together a custom digital trade of all the Lobster Random strips. Is that too much to ask for?! *sob*

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 20 October, 2014, 12:17:58 PM

Rebellion choosing to skip reprinting the first Lobster Random story with the Meg, so I could have a digital reprint of it, is still a bit of a sore spot for me.

I mean, I understand they probably have a warehouse full of unsold hardcover copies.

You could always buy one of the hardcovers, cut out the pages and then stick them onto your screen one by one as you read them...

... what... what am I missing....

... oh come on its a great idea...

Link Prime

I see that the Thought Bubble Anthology 2014 is due this week.
Anyone know if there is a 2000AD related story featured?
Boo Cook is listed as a contributing creator, but I can't find anywhere online that has a contents listing.

Hawkmumbler

29/10/14

Goon Ocassion of Revenge #3: Loveing this mini series as I love all Goon material. Some people have mentioned they have yet to be introduced to this brand manic fun. I steongly suggest you fix your foolishness.

Groo vs. Conan #4: And this it ends. I've very mucn enjoyed this crossover. And it had stunning art from Aragones. I intend to purchase further Groo and Conan material in the future.  :)

Saga #24: Well, it seem's the one plot thread I had written off as dead isn't in fact such. The Brand seem's set to be a major player in the rest of this arc. Oh, and poor Dengo. :'(

Thought Bubble Anthology 2014: Always a joy to read and I always intend to go in blind. Hype intensifying. Just two weeks chaps!

Vertigo Quarterly Yellow (#3): Yet another anthology I always enjoy. Have o idea what's actualy in this issue....

War Stories #2: Love it. Garth Ennis get war comics.

Doctor Who 11th Doctor #4: Boo Cook replaces Simon Fraser as artist for this ongoing. I know Boo has the chops for Doctor Who so let's see some crazy monsters, eh!

Weekly Shonen Jump #48: Hi-Fi Clusters became the new edition to the weekly. Apparently it's not doing to well in Japan so I don't expect it to last as long as even Stealth Symphoney.
Food Wars is also being added next week. From what i've read I have little hope.

The Adventurer

MY DIGITAL PULLS FOR 10/29/14

2000 AD 1905 - Here's my problem with GREY SUIT. Why the hell do you need a super human super spy to assassinate some regular discredited whistleblower? Don't you have regular assassins for that?
2000 AD WINTER SPECIAL 2014 - The 2014 Summer Special was pretty cool, so I have hopes about this one. Where the Summer Special was all new creators on old properties. This one seems to be more the usual suspects. Not sure what that's about.
MEGA MAN 42 - The idea behind this arc, besides recounting us the events of Mega Man 3, is that we're seeing the action from the point of view of the Robot Masters. That's a really cool idea! Unfortunately its not as well executed as you'd hope. For one, we're still getting Mega Man and Friends POV pretty regularly, and the Robot Masters are getting wiped out 3 an issue. So they don't have much room to really flesh themselves and their methods out. A rare misfire I think. Still good though.
SAGA 24 - I was on the fence about last arc. I came the closest I've ever gotten to thinking about dropping this series. It's my BKV curse, I inevitably run into some arc I just don't care for the direction of (in Y the Last Man it was 'Safeword'. In Ex Machina it was the second story arc.) Neither Drug Addiction nor infidelity was ringing true for me last arc. But fortunately last issues cliffhanger pulled me back in. I'm still taking the series one arc at a time for the moment.
SAVAGE DRAGON 199 - An all double-page splash issue. They said it couldn't be done, but by GOD Erik Larsen is going to prove them wrong. And issue 200 is just one issue away!
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 48 - These new additions to the line-up... aren't the most exciting. But... damn it, more content can't hurt.

Colin YNWA

Its been a while, which explains why this was such a big haul. Bit of a mixed bag too as there's a lot of try out titles here AND a very significant one too... which I'll come to. Anyway I've said elsewhere that Multiversity 3 The Just was a real improvement on last month and seemed to really work the over arching plot much better. Also was Ben Oliver's photorealistic art just perfect for this world or what. Winter World 3 reached that cut off point third issue and passed... just... Chuck Dixon's right wing politics which I wondered whether they'd sneek in, peaked its heads up which annoyed me a little, he does that so rarely, BUT there's no denyin' if ya want a good action comic Chuck's ya man and even though his is a quieter point in the story it built the world a little better. Its hanging in there. DHP 3 had its first bum note, not 'cos it was a bad comic, it wasn't, but 'cos it was the first to reveal one of the reasons I've hung back from this in the past, its often just a tryout comic for other Dark Horse series and while the content was good its a bit jarring to pay so much for what can feel like an advert. However the rest of the content was so good I'm sticking with it and you can do worse than try out more Dark Horse comics, so ya know...

Little Nemo 2 I'm wondering how long this book will entertain but certainly looks great, I'll decide next month (or two I think its bi-monthly). Cyclops 6 sees a change in team and while I don't know John Layman's work I know his rep... not that you can tell from this. Still it may take a while to bed in so I'll give it a couple more issues to see what he does as the concept is perfect fodder. Doctor Who 12th 1 predictably gorgeous and not a bad story, we'll see how it develops. Doctor Who 11th 4 steady but I really miss Simon Fraser on the art. Though Anderson 3 was only steady but still love the art. Brass Sun 6 better than it is in the Prog and I love it in the Prog.

Jeff Smith's Tuki 2 is as fun as you'd expect, while Garth Ennis' War Stories 2 is as gloriously grim. Both Sex 17 and Lazarus 12 have solid if unspectacular issues of great series. Book of the haul I'd normally talk about last but there's bigger fish to fry this month so we hail The Maxx 12 and Flash Gordon 6 here, both clear standouts.

Bigger fish, well The Massive 28 charges to an ending and while the issue is great in and of itself has a reveal that shows that the conclusion might not be as clever as I'd hoped... really hope the ending doesn't spoil this otherwise magnificent series... still two issues to go.

Another slightly disappointing ending was Wonder Woman 35 , an ending of not just this run by Azzarello, Chiang and friends, not only of my association with this title as I'm not hanging around for Finch BUT also for my time getting on-goings DC titles, this was the last outpost and its gone. Its kinda fitting then that the ending wasn't as cleaver or as interesting as I'd hoped and fell to a fairly rushed superhero end. Just a shame that this wasn't so fitting for this run as a whole. Still we'll see how it all hangs together when I get around to a re-read in a couple of years.

Still no more ongoing DCs for me... feels kinda weird and kinda about time!