Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Damn! Missed Tuki #2 and Anderson #3! :o

Fontwell Magma

What did people think of Wytches #1 - live up to all of the hype? Whatever the case, Jock's artwork is awesome.

Southern Bastards #5 - Continuing this epic series. It was worth the wait between story arcs. More gritty tales from the South. Anyone not on this already should check out the first TPB.

Wild's End #2 - This is a really great little gem. Horrible death scenes juxtaposed on the cuddly appearance of the characters works epically.

Anyone reading Alex & Ada - recently caught up on this and loved it! I love anything with AI as a main theme and this gets it spot on. Very manga style artwork.

Too much to read!!

J.Smith

Quote from: Fontwell Magma on 03 November, 2014, 12:56:01 PM
What did people think of Wytches #1 - live up to all of the hype? Whatever the case, Jock's artwork is awesome.

Yeah, Jock's artwork was great, though I have to say that the colourist, Matt Hollingsworth, was a significant help in pushing it to really amazing heights. It was kind of interesting, at the end of the issue, to see just how big a difference that guy made.

As for living up to hype, I suppose I thought it didn't, no. Gonna get the next issue and see how that goes but I thought there were a few problems with this first one, namely how the segment with the bully didn't really make any sense, how the scene with the deer was rather confusing, and how the issue seemed to end several panels or another page short.

Admittedly, I don't personally see the big deal made about Synder. I didn't enjoy any of his Batman or Swamp Thing work anywhere near as much as many other people seem to, mainly because I find him too verbose, although I think he could be restrained in other areas too to make him a more consistently good writer. Which is to say that, in comparison to those works, what I did really like about this first issue, and will hopefully like about the second, is that there's no inner monologue from any of the characters cluttering up entire pages. Thank. Fuck.

So, yeah, another issue or two from me before I decide whether or not to continue reading it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: J.Smith on 03 November, 2014, 02:17:35 PM

Admittedly, I don't personally see the big deal made about Synder. I didn't enjoy any of his Batman or Swamp Thing work anywhere near as much as many other people seem to, mainly because I find him too verbose, although I think he could be restrained in other areas too to make him a more consistently good writer.

I do think he's had his moments. Certainly his Detective issues with Dick Grayson as Batman were superb. I need to re-read his Swampy but a few issues stood out from a mediocre crowd and while his Nu52 Batman was great to begin with it drift further and further down hill. I'm beginning to think he's got a relatively limited range. Still with over 100,000 readers on his Batman who the heck cares what I think (also see Geoff Johns!)

J.Smith

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 03 November, 2014, 04:29:38 PM
Quote from: J.Smith on 03 November, 2014, 02:17:35 PM

Admittedly, I don't personally see the big deal made about Synder. I didn't enjoy any of his Batman or Swamp Thing work anywhere near as much as many other people seem to, mainly because I find him too verbose, although I think he could be restrained in other areas too to make him a more consistently good writer.
I do think he's had his moments. Certainly his Detective issues with Dick Grayson as Batman were superb.

Yeah, out of all I read, I did enjoy The Black Mirror the most, although I felt that that too was balanced poorly. On the one hand, you have the main concept, a rather good one of Gordon's son from Frank Miller's Year One returning to Gotham, his dark past explored via flashback with superbly suitable art by Francesco Francavilla. This is great, great stuff and what I think Snyder really shines at. Buuuut then you have the Batman chapters of the book which are, tonally and logically, simply all over the place and absolutely terrible in comparison, even Jock's art being no saving grace this time around. The second to last paragraph of this review from goodokbad.com - http://goodokbad.com/index.php/reviews/batman_the_black_mirror_review - pretty much sums up the weird Batman segments of the book, and why it is they're so poor in comparison to the Gordon storyline.

As I said in my previous post, if he were to restrain himself with such things, I think he'd be a more consistently good writer rather than an okay one who offsets some moments of brilliance with total crap.

Hawkmumbler

05/11/14

Usagi Yojimbo Senso #4: Turning out to be another classic tale of anthropomorphic action. Stan Sakai is a treasure.

Weekly Shonen Jump #49: Food Wars joins the weekly line up and Naruto set's it's site's to the finale. Thank god. Oh and for once Nisekoi did something of worth. A Sakigaki! reference.

PreacherCain

Quote from: J.Smith on 03 November, 2014, 05:03:50 PM
The second to last paragraph of this review from goodokbad.com - http://goodokbad.com/index.php/reviews/batman_the_black_mirror_review - pretty much sums up the weird Batman segments of the book, and why it is they're so poor in comparison to the Gordon storyline.

As I said in my previous post, if he were to restrain himself with such things, I think he'd be a more consistently good writer rather than an okay one who offsets some moments of brilliance with total crap.

Agreed. I can't help but think Francavilla's stunning artwork helped with how well that Black Mirror run turned out.

Wytches #1 was ok. Perhaps a mortal sin to mention on these boards but I sometimes find Jock's artwork a little, well, uninspiring. The panel layouts can be a bit confused and the characters/backgrounds are all very samey looking. Saying that, he pulls off the 'horror' images quite nicely. Hollingsworth's colours really help out.

Roche Limit #2: Similar to my reaction to the first issue, the beginning of this comic featuring all the background to the story was great. The main storyline leaves a lot to be desired, going through the motions of ye olde detective yarn. One more issue and we'll see where it goes.

The new issues of Southern Bastards and Low were fantastic. She-Hulk #9 was probably the best comic Marvel published this month, not that I read all that many of them these days.

I quite liked the ending to Wonder Woman #35. Though yes, it was wrapped up pretty damn quick. Still, I found it effective enough. Absolutely no interest in the follow up with Finch's awful, Jim Lee artwork.

Wayward #3: Meh. Not good enough to continue with this. Rasputin #1 will replace it, I found it really quite good. Rossmo's artwork can be a bit too broad and scratchy for my liking but he seems to be a lot more focused here.

Deathlok #1: I have no idea why I got this. Probably due to quite liking Edmondon's work. Turns out it was actually rather good. I might even continue with the title for a little while.

The Adventurer

Hooooly shit. Image's Tooth & Claw #1 by Kurt Busiek might be the best single issue of 2014*.  Absolutely magical, and probably directly in the wheelhouse of any 2000 AD fan. Get it. Get it now!

*move the fuck over Mega Man 35!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 07 November, 2014, 01:49:38 PM
Hooooly shit. Image's Tooth & Claw #1 by Kurt Busiek might be the best single issue of 2014*.  Absolutely magical, and probably directly in the wheelhouse of any 2000 AD fan. Get it. Get it now!

*move the fuck over Mega Man 35!

Excitting, on my pull list but won't be getting it for a couple of weeks do to parent run and then Thought Bubble.

Colin YNWA

Daggnabbit - so I get my new toy this week and the first online comic I figure I'll go for is this Shonen Jump, lot of comic by the sound, low price, RESULT. So go to down load it and the app doesn't seem to work with my device yet... sigh...

Hawkmumbler

What device have you got yourself, Colin?

Colin YNWA

A Sumsung 12.2 Galaxy Note (was going very cheap on Amazon as not really continuing in the European Market, why I don't know its bloomin' great!)

Hawkmumbler

Interesting, acording to the Play App it should be available to you. Have you tried searching for the Viz Media app instead?

Colin YNWA

Well it came up as a Samsung option BUTonly had other device listed. I'll try the Viz Media option later.

Downloaded Meg 353 (welcome back to the Meg Taylor... at chuffin' last!). Out of interest what comic readers do people recommend?

Hawkmumbler

Well personaly Comixology is great for all your monthly needs. Prices drop after a month and they hav regulare sales. Great stuff.

Dark Horse have their own app which has improved dramaticaly recently and is a grade A comic reading app now. It also stocks Dynamite titles but I get them from Comixology myself.

Manga Rock is great for a nations worth of free comics. Linking into several online translaters (I recomend Batoto) it gives you the option to choose and dowload them into your device. Though free, for unlimited dowloding space it costs about £2 one off payment, so well worth it.