Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

10/12/14

Wilds End #4: Continues to be superb. Abnett at his very very best. Particularly like how this take us clearly the Tripods we know but not as we know them.

Goon Occassion of Revenge #4: Been a wild wide as ever but once again I bid farewell to The Goon for another run. Hope to see it back soon.

The Maxx Maxximised #14: I dunno whats even going on anymore but i'm loveing it! Such an acid trip of a series.

Copperhead #4: Four months in and i'm still a little uncertain as to which direction this is going in but the racial hatred device is very timely.

Weekly Shonen Jump #2: Gakkyu Hottei is great and it's got my vote to stay. E-Robot can fuck right off.

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 December, 2014, 10:48:16 AM
The Maxx Maxximised #14: I dunno whats even going on anymore but i'm loveing it! Such an acid trip of a series.

ISn't it just - not read issue 14 yet mind - its a series I sometimes think I'll sit down and read through and try to work out what the heck its all about. I then wonder whether doing that will actually kill the magic!

Link Prime

A trilogy of delights await pick-up this evening;

Afterlife with Archie 7 (Back after a loooooong hiatus, but will no doubt be worth the wait. I did buy the two over-sized Afterlife with Archie 'Magazine' editions in the meantime to satiate my Francavilla craving).
X-Force 13 (Although not yet officially cancelled, to my knowledge, it's clear that this is Spurrier's wrap-up arc, and it's been a doozy. Mojo, an extremely well written Domino, and a great villainous turn by [spoiler]Fantomex[/spoiler] have me hooked).
Bitch Planet 1 (They had me at "Women-in-prison sci-fi exploitation riff". CBR preview; http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24024).

TordelBack

Wow, Bitch Planet looks amazing - that cover alone! Think I may have to make a comics run tomorrow.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 December, 2014, 11:40:03 AM
Wow, Bitch Planet looks amazing - that cover alone! Think I may have to make a comics run tomorrow.

2 Euro in Big Bang, Tordel.

Colin YNWA

Out of interest after how long do digital prices drop - or am I showing how out of date I am by still thinking that they do? So as I recall books come out at almost full store price then after a few months that drops by a quid or so? Is that right. I'm thinking I might make Planet Bitch my first regular digital only purchase, but I'm happy to wait for the savings, but will I be waiting a long time?

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 December, 2014, 01:01:39 PM
Out of interest after how long do digital prices drop - or am I showing how out of date I am by still thinking that they do? So as I recall books come out at almost full store price then after a few months that drops by a quid or so? Is that right. I'm thinking I might make Planet Bitch my first regular digital only purchase, but I'm happy to wait for the savings, but will I be waiting a long time?

Well Colin, you're in luck.
This will be published by Image, so you're guaranteed a Dollar drop in digital price (or equivalent in Sterling / Euro) one month after publication. And you can get it DRM free too.

I went all Digital with the recently wrapped Prophet, and waited patiently every month for that price drop (although it was very tempting to abandon the plan for the Dave Taylor issue).

Colin YNWA

Cool good to know. So do Marvel and DC still do this too? I'm looking at a couple of Marvel titles coming up and I'm tempted to try Secret Six... though after the first issue reviews...

Shakira? Shakara!

Not a fan of Valentine DeLandro's artwork, so Bitch Planet is of zero interest to me. Likewise I can't stand Spurrier (worst 2000ad writer ever IMO), so not read any X-Force since the relaunch.

However, I am mightily intrigued to discover Dave Taylor did an issue of Prophet. I must find that - only reason I dropped the book was due to having to cutback my monthly stash.

I know it's not out today, but surprised there's not been more chatter about Titan's Doctor Who - 12th Doctor series. It's a pleasure to read some new Robbie Morrison stuff now his 2000ad strips have all been tied up and no sign of anything new on the horizon. But the real selling point is Dave Taylor's art. IMO this is the best looking Doctor Who strip since John Ridgway was on art duties during the 6th Doctor era. Absolutely beautiful stuff, and a real shame that he only appears to be on board fro the first 6 issues (though understandable - would surely be impossible to keep this level of quality up every month).

Honourable mention to Simon Fraser on the 11th Doctor series. If it wasn't for Taylor's work I'd be raving about him instead. But then I'll buy anything with Al Ewing's name on it. Even so, they are just perfect together.

Colin YNWA

Yeah there's no denying Titan have done a fantastic job putting together those Who books. The teams are really pulling it out the hat. I have to say I'm enjoying the comics a lot more than the telly series, in a way I've not done since the Colin Baker days... hmmm did someone mention John Ridgway...

Shakira? Shakara!

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 December, 2014, 02:37:43 PM
Yeah there's no denying Titan have done a fantastic job putting together those Who books. The teams are really pulling it out the hat. I have to say I'm enjoying the comics a lot more than the telly series, in a way I've not done since the Colin Baker days... hmmm did someone mention John Ridgway...

Yeah, shame he's retired. One of the greats.

Did the 10th Doctor series get any better do you know Colin? I didn't read it after the 1st issue. Found the art a bit lacklustre and The Doctor barely appeared in it. Found it a bit disappointing TBH. Might check out a digital copy or wait for the collection if it picked up. The other 2 Who series are amazing though. A good time to be a fan.

Shakira? Shakara!

Forgot to say - must also concur with those raving about Tooth & Claw. Got about halfway through and decided it was okay but probably wouldn't pick it up regularly. Completely changed my mind by the end. Brilliant storyline, intrigued as to where it is going and lovely artwork.

Wild's End - Since I stopped buying Previews a year or so back, I'm very much out of the loop of anything interesting that isn't Dark Horse / DC / IDW / Image / Dynamite / Marvel / Valiant. I only found out about this through the feature in the Meg, by which time it was sold out and going for silly prices on Ebay. Fortunately I'm moving to Trades rather than Floppies, and it's a mini series anyway, so I'll wait till it's finished and grab the collection. I'm very much looking forward to this though thanks to the glowing reviews, so I may crack and get the first issue digitally as a taster.

Fungus

Quote from: Shakira? Shakara! on 10 December, 2014, 05:11:40 PM
Forgot to say - must also concur with those raving about Tooth & Claw. Got about halfway through and decided it was okay but probably wouldn't pick it up regularly. Completely changed my mind by the end. Brilliant storyline, intrigued as to where it is going and lovely artwork.

It's astonishing. Talky animals may have been enough to dissuade me, but glad I jumped in. Read this, Fraction's ODY-C #1 and the prog in a sitting, all stunning in their own ways & made me happy.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Shakira? Shakara! on 10 December, 2014, 04:44:25 PM

Yeah, shame he's retired. One of the greats.

Did the 10th Doctor series get any better do you know Colin? I didn't read it after the 1st issue. Found the art a bit lacklustre and The Doctor barely appeared in it. Found it a bit disappointing TBH. Might check out a digital copy or wait for the collection if it picked up. The other 2 Who series are amazing though. A good time to be a fan.

Whoops sorry should say I haven't read 10th Doc myself, nothing about it grabbed me... the other two mind!