Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Usagi Yojimbo is a series that's been on my 'To read list' for years. I understand their are collections about that cover two or three of the regular volumes, so when the day comes that I give the series a read from the beginning I shall get them.

And I wouldn't say Jojolion is too out of the question. In fact i'd say it's a question of when rather than if. But failing that, My Hero Academia would be a superb addition to the line up.

The Adventurer

*drum roll*

It's more Jump Start! EDIT: Never Mind. Its actually a Jump Back, Rosario + Vampire isn't new.

Also. another One-Shot + Seraph & Blue Exorcist for next week's Japan skip week. Which is nice.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Humph. I liked Assassination Classroom this week. So more of that wouldn't be too bad a thing.

And Rosario is a series i've never had a burning desire to read, so if it's going to be ever it'll be now. Hyped for the one-shot mind you. Let's hope it live's up to RKD-EK9.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 January, 2015, 12:31:38 PM
Humph. I liked Assassination Classroom this week. So more of that wouldn't be too bad a thing.
Yeah, that was pretty silly. The best new (to me) one they've had for a while.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Can't get enough of me making short and oh so pithy (ahem) comments about the comics I read.Well threat not cos I'm back and I've read some more comics.

Last time I said how while I had many problems with Ody-C 1I was intrigued enough to get issue 2 and see how it went. Well I have and alas the art and other things made it too much of a struggle to battle through and this book is dropped very early in its life. On the other hand ]They're Not Like Us 1 is a qualified trimuph. I got it on the strenght of Eric Stephenson's sadly missed Nowhere Men which was my fav book when it was coming out and the fact that what little I've seen of Simon Gane's art has made me want to see more. The concept is far from original (thence the qualified bit) but you know what this book is all about how its delivered and thats done exceptionally well. From the superb opening, to the wonderful 'cliff hanger' this was an tired old, new take on an old story told well.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 2 was a lot better than issue 1, which isn't saying a great deal but at least this one I enjoyed. War Stories 4 is the start of a new arc and while I've loved everything Garth Ennis has touched to date when he deals with conflicit the first arc of this series fell a little flat and so far this one hasn't really reached the heights he's capable of. Still I have faith in the man. Two Doctor Who books in this haul, 11th Doc 6 was time twistin' fun and 12th Doc 3 was just plain fun, both had exceptional art too. Anderson 4 was a bit exposition heavy, I'm getting increasingly annoyed by writers rattling off a load of exposition but then making a witty in character comment that's a nob to the read to acknowledge that. Stop it already will you. Still overall an enjoyable read. Fade Out 4 continues to build a story rather nicely and Mercenary Seas 8 was rollocking fun just as it drops off the earth for a bit of a re-fit it would seem.

Two brilliant issues of The Maxx 14 and 15 as others have commented here week to week I follow the events and things kinda make sense in their own isolated crazy way. Ask me to tell you whats going on and I'm spout more nonsense than normal and then just shrug my shoulders. Yet some part of my brain process this surreal stuff enough to know full well its always one of the best things I read in any given haul. I look forward to sitting down, really working with it and I suspect read in one go making not too much more progress with it all. Except to say I reckon I'll go back time and time again to try to make headway. Fantastic comics and truly like nothing else I've ever read.

C.O.W.L. 7 sometimes reads like they really, really REALLY want someone to be very impressed by it all and make it into a telly show. The thing is I like just fine as a comic and issue 7 gets this very good comic right back into its lovely stride. Hinterkind 14 is a brilliant flashback. On many a month each of those in the last two paragraphs could have got comic of the haul but no this time it should go to The Massive 30 which provides a magnificent epilogue to this fantastic series with Gary Brown raising this art up another notch to see it off BUTno I have to give it to Cyclops 8, though my enjoyment of this book seems to have given it that famous Taylor kiss of death it quite supremely proves that whoever it was who thinks that Space Pirates have become cliche and naff just ain't reading the write Space Pirates comics.

Hawkmumbler

Yeah! Let's talk comics. Dropping titles for this Wednesday (17th) are...

Wilds End #5 continues to run my superlative bank dry. Just a fantastic series about survival against a backdrop of two of the most recognizable works of fiction around. DAbnett and INJ at their best's. Meanwhile Copperhead #5 is sure to be a comic of the week. Honestly, i'm immensely enjoying this comic. Insanely so. It's such a good mystery thriller but with the obvious plus that it's set on a dessert planet. God I love this comic.

Weekly Shonen Jump #5.1 (I hesitate to call this a one-shot, as it does feature chapters of Blue Exorcist and Seraph of the End, which is nice, but the weekly title's are on their annual week off) is good fun comics as usual. I DO love Blue Exorcist mind, it reminds me of when the big three titles where better than they are now. It's not gonna win awards or anything, but it's got heart. Oh and a one-shot fron Nisoisn (Jojo: Over Heaven, Medaka Box) and Ikeda (Rasrio + Vampire) called What Can You Kill. I've never read Rosario (the first chapter of which is also included) but the art looks nice. Over all, a nice bundle.

Aaaand as that's all i'm getting this week besides the prog i'll talk about some of my recent graphic novel reads. First up is Corto Maltese: Under the Sign of Capricorn. Theirs a thread or two for this already so i'll keep it short, but anyone who isn't reading this yet should bloody well start now because it's some of the most FUN i've had reading comics in age's. Bloody damn good stuff. Next was Lazarus Book One from Rucka and Lark. Only two issues into it but finding it quite intriguing. Maybe not the best title Image has on the stands at the moment but certainly not bad in any way. Finally was Hibernia's Bakers Half Dozen, collecting the series published in Speed! years ago. By heck, that Mike Weston could draw, couldn't he!

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 January, 2015, 10:17:48 PM
Can't get enough of me making short and oh so pithy (ahem) comments about the comics I read.

Never!

Only one for me this week; the penultimate issue of Spurrier's X-Force (number 14).

My pull list has probably never been lower- there's definitely a slot or two available for something new in 2015.

Hawkmumbler

21/01/15

Dark Horse Presents 2014 #6: Semiautomagic is a fairly entertaining tale but for the first time in a while i'm considering dropping the title mainly because of a lack of titles I was hopeing for besides the McCarthy story from a few months back. Lets see what next month brings...l

Groo's Friends and Foes #1: I massivly enjoyed the Groo and Conan crossover so I think i'll dip my toe's into the Groo catalogue with this series. Looks silly, fun and inventive which is what I look for in a comic book.

Star Trek Planet of the Apes #2: Aaandntwo issues in and they already referenced "GOD DAMMIT!" scene. Anyway, it's the monkeys nuts. And i'm not even that but a Trek or Ape's fan. I await my lashing and hand in my geek badge.

Spread #5: Gore, beautiful gore. Just how do they draw it? I've come to view this series the same way I view Grindhouse. As pure, mindless fun. Saying that it feels like ages since the last issue.

Doctor Who 11th Doctor #7 and Doctor Who 12th Doctor #4 both continues to so their thing and bloody hell Simon Fraser is back!

Weekly Shonen Jump #8: One-Punch Man came back. And it was magnificent. Truely it is the comic that keeps on giving....and isn't Garo that guy Bang kicked out of his dojo for being too violent?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 January, 2015, 12:24:20 PM

Spread #5: Gore, beautiful gore. Just how do they draw it? I've come to view this series the same way I view Grindhouse. As pure, mindless fun. Saying that it feels like ages since the last issue.

Isn't the artist on this ex- of this parish?

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 January, 2015, 12:52:45 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 January, 2015, 12:24:20 PM

Isn't the artist on this ex- of this parish?

Kyle Strahm, yeah.
I suspect he's a busy boy these days.

Colin YNWA

Uh exciting. I've bought loads of digital comics already, from various sales and other places of cheapness BUT tonight I bought and read my first regular comic I intend to collect digitally... the fact that I've brought the rest of my books cheaply however will reveal why this purchase was made on a random Thursday night not comic book day. See being cheap I waited a month to get Bitch Planet 1 for a quid less than its release price. I intend to do this with all my digital purchases ... so Marvel better get a move on with those Star Wars comics I want to try... though they don't seem to be in much of a hurry to reduce the prices of their digital stuff do they... oh yeah anyway

Bitch Planet right. It was pretty good, great art and an interesting start to the series but not the absolute blast some see it as (hey there Saga) still will look forward to waiting a month before buying issue 2!

The Adventurer

Marvel doesn't drop their prices after a month. They are very random. Usually they wait until they have a big sale of a particular run and when the sale's over they drop a dollar from the regular price.

DC waits 2 months. Archie doesn't seem to ever drop...

At least Image is monthly like clock work.

Colin YNWA

Yeah Marvel do seem to hold out on things. I nosed at a few and it seems to be anything from 6 months to a year. I was wondering whether it tied to when a trade or some such came out. I dunno but it is a pain... well since I'm cheap and all!

The Adventurer

I know its the main reason I don't randomly pick up new Marvel books that look interesting.

Colin YNWA

Well that was the quickest I've got through my haul for a long time. Long train journey after buying them this morning and all mopped up. Nice... well almost

Dark Horse Presents 6 brings this title right on the brink of being dropped. I'm giving until the birthday issue to see if that blows me away AND the stories that continue offer more that an expensive advert and some other uninspiring bits. To be fair there was a couple of okay strips but really for the price I'm wanting more than this offers.

Similarly I find myself drifting from Winter World 6 is so steadfastly not bad I'm struggling to drop it, but struggling to know  why I'm still getting it. Maybe one more issue... maybe. 12th Doctor Who 4 also has me losing interest. Dave Taylors art wasn't as strong as normal and someone filled in at the end to further evidence this. I'll give this one next issue and the end of the arc before making  my mind up though. 11th Doctor 7 on the other hand was a blast and this is the Doc I want. Oh and Warren Pleece on art - nice, very unrated artist is our Warren.

Lazarus 14 was a solid issue of this excellent title while FBP 17 wasn't this title at its best, still very good and had some glorious touches.

Copperhead 5 wrapped but the first arc almost entirely satisfactorily. This almost, almost, almost read like a tooth series. it let itself down a touch with the  cheesy recruitment of a nanny, but they the rest was very solid and this series is a bit of a quiet trimuph.

So books of the Haul (well maybe it could be 11th Doc 7?) is between Cyclops 9, how much fun can the adventures of an uptight teenage marvel and his space pirate dad be, well this much fun and that's quite a lot of fun... a heck of a lot of fun in fact. Why isn't this series being hailed from all corners of comicdom? Edging it though is Autumnlands 3 I'm loving this title, loving it. I don't know if I'm reading too much into thing but I'm seeing so many tributes to other anthropomorphic strips. Goodfoot is Seminole Sam from Pogo (and Counseller Sandorst is Howland Owl right?), touchs from Kammadi as well. I'm assuming loads more I'm missing.Still with all that a comic with a voice all of its own and man is it a beautiful voice.