Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

So much good stuff this week...

Steven Universe #8 - Though I will admit i'm a little behind on. Still have the last two issues stored on my cloud. Dunno why I always leave it to last as it's a bloody fun series and very episodic.
Rat God #2 - Continues in horrifying fashion. Actually was the first thing i read this week as I really dug the first issue. Dat cover....
Godzilla Rulers of Earth #21 - God I looove this bonkers series! Say what you will about the Toho kaiju movies but they are always entertaining and this feels just like one.
Shadow Show #4 - Ray Bradbury tribute series continues. Art wise I felt this was the weakest so far but the writing is still spot on.
Star Trek/Planet of the Apes #3 - Felt like ages since the last issue and I think I need to re-read them. Looks great fun as per.
Big Man Plans #1 - Eric Powell's a busy man ATM, isn't he! Between this, The Goon and Big Trouble in Little China my pull list is full of Powell silliness. Which is a good thing. Anyway, this new series is kind of a crime thriller with extra slapstick violence.
EGOS #6 - Got caught up with the trade and the previous issue and it's thumping good stuff. I want to say it reminds me a little of Terraformers but it's way more classy...
Saga #26 - Are we to assume The Brand is non-binary or is s/he just androgynous? Anyway, digging Saga once again. Love it.
Doctor Who 11th Doctor #9 - I'm loving this series! Watching Jones decent into madness is hilarious. Dare I say it's better than the TV series right now?
Weekly Shonen Jump #14 - Undecided and unimpressed with Battle Satellite. Conversly Black Clover has really grown on me and Cyborg Roggy (despite being somewhat akin to Hi-Fi Clusters) is kicking serious arse. Of the five titles in this Jump Start line up, Kagamigami and Cyborg Roggy have my vote to stay, with Black Clover as a 'See how it goes' title.

Titles i'm deliberating on:
Con Job #1
Halogen #1
Neverboy #1
Robert Heinlens Citizen of the Galaxy #1
Descender #1

IronGraham

Descender is very pretty but it has that Image issue one problem of having to set alot up first before we begin properly
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Fungus

Quote from: IronGraham on 05 March, 2015, 11:02:19 AM
Descender is very pretty but it has that Image issue one problem of having to set alot up first before we begin properly

True. They should have released issue 2 first   :o

Hawkmumbler

Herm....I'll have to see if it's worth adding to the pull list at some point.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 04 March, 2015, 09:41:10 AM

Rat God #2 - Continues in horrifying fashion. Actually was the first thing i read this week as I really dug the first issue. Dat cover....

On the contrary, (despite typically luscious Corben artwork) I found the first issue quite confusing, and dropped it.

This week I've ordered;

Miracleman 16, the final issue by The Original Writer, also my last. I gather that Marvel are re-launching the series for Gaiman's run (reprint and the new material), but this will be a trade wait for me.
Crossed + 100 3, which has been quite intriguing so far.

Next week;

Ragnarok 4, seems to have been as age since the last one, but likely worth the wait. Simonson is crafting a very fine tale here IMO.
Howard The Duck 1, which I'm purchasing on the back of reading the excellent Marvel collected edition recently. It's being written by Chip Zdarsky (artist on Sex Criminals), so I've no idea what to expect.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 06 March, 2015, 12:27:03 PM

Miracleman 16, the final issue by The Original Writer, also my last. I gather that Marvel are re-launching the series for Gaiman's run (reprint and the new material), but this will be a trade wait for me.

The only problem with trading waiting Miracleman is its still as ball crunchingly poor value. I'm waiting... for something else. it would seem now. I'm sure at some point Marvel will release it in a reasonably priced package.

Fungus

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 March, 2015, 02:03:15 PM
The only problem with trading waiting Miracleman is its still as ball crunchingly poor value. I'm waiting... for something else. it would seem now. I'm sure at some point Marvel will release it in a reasonably priced package.

Pricey from Marvel, but wow, the Eclipse collections are funny money. Had no idea. Will look at my old collections differently now.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fungus on 06 March, 2015, 02:24:42 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 March, 2015, 02:03:15 PM

Pricey from Marvel, but wow, the Eclipse collections are funny money. Had no idea. Will look at my old collections differently now.

Oh yeah they've been going for silly money for years now. Always find it interesting when stuff gets reissued often the older volumes don't deflat in price. Go figure.

Colin YNWA

More comics.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 4 is part of a six issue mini, which means I'll not drop it and at least it'll get a re-read before getting dispatched. Which is just what 12th Doctor Who 1 - 5 needs as I've been losing a grip with this one over the last couple of months. I suspect re-read will straighten all that though. 11th Doctor Who 9 shows quite wonderfully who this series needs no such thing to convince me its great, as well its great.

Winter World 0 should have been longer, looking forward to the mini in afew months now. Hinterkind 16 makes me think some plot points may be rushed as this title heads towards the end of its Vertigo run. Really hope it doesn't screw up too much and that Edginton can find a new home for the series. Sex 20 is another great part of this series I hope last out and not shoot its bolt too soon.

They're Not Like Us 3 is the third issue and surely the third straight best in haul. The only bad thing about this title is it makes me miss Nowhere Men all the more

Tombo

Wait, Hinterkind's been cancelled?  When was that announced?

Hawkmumbler

Well at least this means I can buy the collected editions soon enough without worrying about it being ongoing.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tombo on 07 March, 2015, 10:41:35 PM
Wait, Hinterkind's been cancelled?  When was that announced?

The May solicitations alas

QuoteHINTERKIND #18

Written by IAN EDGINTON

Art by FRANCESCO TRIFOGLI

Cover by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

On sale MAY 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS • FINAL ISSUE

The west coast is at war and the day of the dragon is at hand. Old enemies are confronted and new alliances forged. It could be the end of everything or a new beginning for both human and Hinterkind. The fate of the green world rests on the shoulders of Prosper Monday, dragon rider.

There is hope. I was speaking to Ian Edlington at Thought Bubble in November and he said he had loads planed and as it was creator owned he could move it if DC did cancel it. So fingers crossed.

Tombo

That's a shame, I've been enjoying the series.  Hope someone else picks it up soon.

Professor Bear

Suiciders #1 seems to be very reminiscent of the backup strips in DC's long-cancelled New 52 fantasy title Sword of Sorcery, as rather than put faith in risk a female-fronted book in the mainstream market, the second half of each issue was usually padded-out with some generic and uber-blokeish fantasy/sci-fi filler which was typically a mash-up of popular elements of contemporary male-oriented culture (Beowulf was a mish-mash of RPG games like Fallout and Skyrim, for instance), but it looks like they're finally getting around to publishing things from the leftover drawer after that title bit the dust and Vertigo was retooled as an IP farm for tv/movie properties in the wake of a mass exodus of talent to Image.
It's probably the kind of thing you'd see in 2000ad during a lean period when you're only buying it for Dredd, and while all this likely sounds like a slight on writer/artist Lee Bermejo, I enjoyed the first issue bastardisation of Escape From Los Angeles and The Running Man fair enough even if it's a bit over the place.  Some of the elements are looking dated (reality tv, pro wrestling characters, walled cities, LA cits addicted to cosmetic surgery), but for me that just lends things a quaint charm, and the overall effect is reminiscent of a eurocomic outing, so the trade collection might be worth a sniff.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tombo on 08 March, 2015, 11:22:32 AM
That's a shame, I've been enjoying the series.  Hope someone else picks it up soon.
Maybe in the Meg?  ;)

Anyway, after last weeks huge haul it's just a few titles this week....

Big Trouble in Little China #9 - Feels like months since the last issue of this and all. Jack has once again landed himself in the shit, and i'm glad that this series has been solicited for a while to come yet.

Godzilla Cataclysm (GN) - I missed out on tis series in favour of the ongoing Rulers of Earth series. Let's see what all the fuss is about then.

Howard the Duck #1 - I've been anticipating this. In the righ hands Howards adventures can be utterly delightful and much mire in tune it my taste's than anyhing else Marvel produce. Can Zdarsky and Quinones deliver?

War Stories #6 - Though the first three or so where fantastic little war tales the last few i've found somewhat lacking. Still a damn fun comic, just not as good as I know it can be.

Weekly Shonen Jump #15 - I think the Dressrosa arc has started to out stay it's welcome. One Piece is still a fun series, but it's not been the high light of the Jump for months now. Off Doflamingo and move on I say.