Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronGraham

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 April, 2015, 08:18:21 PM
Big Man Plans #2: The first one was ultra violent as hell and grim too boot. Hope this issue kicks in with the Powell charm a little bit more.

Obviously not been reading recent Goon
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: IronGraham on 09 April, 2015, 10:07:58 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 April, 2015, 08:18:21 PM
Big Man Plans #2: The first one was ultra violent as hell and grim too boot. Hope this issue kicks in with the Powell charm a little bit more.

Obviously not been reading recent Goon
That's the thing, I have been, and the series still retains a lot of the black humor and slap stick that prevailed in early run's. Big Man Plans lacked the dead pan humor in it's first issue, but it was still a cracking first issue none the less.

Colin YNWA

Its not the size its whats been done with it. Small haul by and large touching all the right spots.

Cyclops 12 is both a delight and a surprising trimuph. Up to issue 10 this series built itself into one of my favourites, then alas last issue was stunningly rushed conclusion to the ongoing series to make way for part 10 of a cross-over I know nowt about, but you know what I',m now tempted to buy the trade of 'Black Vortex' (the afore mentioned cross-over) to see what happens - well done them did not expect that to happen!

Copperhead 6 starts a new arc and its a steady start, and all the stronger for it. Its building the town and developing the townfolk and teasing their relationships - good steady - in the best possible sense - start.

Li'l Depressed Boy 4 tells us 'Supposed to be there, too' will only be 5 issues long, which is a shame as this series only fault is you don't get much per issue, mind what you do get is brilliant.

As of course is The Maxx 17... brilliant... I think... God I love how I don't get what the hell is going on. I piece things together and have crafted my own story and speculate with excitment how when I read it back I get something entirely different from it, and the next time, and the next... I comic that will give you as much as you can put in. Superb.

Finally the best of a great tiny bunch is War Stories 7, this is the Ennis War Stories I was expecting, that the first 6 issues simply haven't delievered, this, this right here is why I hung around.

Hawkmumbler

Nice couple of titles this week...

Dark Horse Presents 2014 #9: Both the Groo mini-series and Dream Gang continue to be the pulling points for the title as the mad mixture of the two make for a very palatable read. I hope Dream Gang get's collected at some point as I would like it next to the Milligan and McCarthy HC.

Groo Friends and Foes #4: We meet Arcadio, a thinly veiled Conan parody (very fitting so soon after the crossover) and hilarity ensues. Still one of the highlights of my pull list, an utter joy.

Django/ Zorro #6: Races to it's conclusion (one month away) as the two leads switch places, with Django becoming the notorious masked hero. Utterly brilliant stuff.

Both The 11th Doctor #11 and The 12th Doctor #7 are highly enjoyable also, though slightly less so than previous weeks.

Weekly Shonen Jump #20: 3 chapters of Black Clover to play catch up. Somewhat predictable, especially against My Hero Academia which has a similar structure but handles it very differently. That being said, I am quite enjoying it. Though I wish that one Witch would put some cloth's on at some point.

Plus two volumes of Charleys War, a volume of Attack on Titan and and volume of Monster. Happy times!

Hawkmumbler

Only a few this week....

Grindhouse and The Fly both get put on trade waiting list. Grindhouse certainly reads better that way and The Fly didn't really grab my attention in the first issue.

Godzilla Rulers of Earth #23: Another superb issue of old style kaiju action, this time King Ceaser and Moguere give each other a hiding. Pure eye candy but it's oh so fun. Can't believe the series is nearly two years old now!

The Maxx Maxximized #18: Mr. Gone is one of the endearing features about the series, being a completely dysfuntional and usseless excuse for a villein it's his distant relationship with Sara that is the most interesting aspect of him.

Weekly Shonen Jump #21: World Trigger hit's the big 100! Very nice to see it's still ticking a long, esspecialy as it's perfectly seicable between heavier series. Like My Hero Academia, which ramps up the pressure this week with a pretty nasty back story, once again brilliantly integrated into the flowing narrative. Both are stories if the week for me.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 24 April, 2015, 09:52:07 AM

The Maxx Maxximized #18: Mr. Gone is one of the endearing features about the series, being a completely dysfuntional and usseless excuse for a villein it's his distant relationship with Sara that is the most interesting aspect of him.

As those of you who like to lavish time on this my favourite (well its in my top 5) of threads will know I too dig The Maxx, you crazy ol' title you, BUT just as the comic itself leaves me more than a little baffled so does its schedule. I mean I know its being re-coloured and so work is being done, BUT sometimes it skips months, sometimes it seems to double ship in a month. I mean if there was ever a book you'd think would ship on a regular schedule its a reprint comic right?

Oh and you may have notice elsewhere but there's a 50% EVERYTHING sale at Dark Horse digital store!

https://digital.darkhorse.com/

Hawkmumbler

Naruto's back this week........'sigh'

At least it wont be forever.

The Adventurer

I'm really hoping a fresh start might make me not hate Naruto. I actually kind of liked the final chapter of Naruto with all the next gen characters. So if it follows that... I might not bash my face into a wall.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Well I got the new Jump far earlier than ussual and devoured it. Naruto was....actualy quite good so, Kishimoto, don't waist this chance!

Elsewhere Black Clover seem's to be going somewhere, My Hero Academia is pulling no punches, and Toriko brings the current arc to a close, monkey balls and all! Next week we have the two good monthlies (Seraph and Exorcist) and a few extras. Hoping for. Battle Tendency preview as I really want to see the quality of the scans on that one....

Hawkmumbler

Right good haul this week...

Big Trouble in Little China #10: Only in an Powell sequel comic to a John Carpenter movie will you find Kurt Russel having a game of cards with a samurai, a barbarian, and a slug cowboy in the spirit world.

Steven Universe The Greg Universe special: Greg's been getting a lot of screen time on the TV series right now, with his back story and how he came to meet the crystal gems being fleshed out. Here we see more of the escapades following this meeting.

Gantz vol.35: Heading towards end game as the alien race intent of universal purging begins to shatter it's agreement with humanity and the Gantz team are faced with their final mission.

Red One #2: The first issue left me a little bit wanting, but hopefully this one will set my mind at ease...or not. Either way, it's no Long John Silver.

Spread #7: Our resident art droid, Kyle Strahm, steps aside to let a guest artist take his place for an issue. Just the one I hope! As Kyle's art is the biggest pull on the series for me. Lovely stuff as always.

Vertigo Quarterly SFX: Last years Vertigo quarterly was a very mixed bag, but anthologies are always worth a try because you can often find new talent that way, or a crater your unfamiliar with.

War Stories #8: I'm liking this story, seem's to strike much more at the core to what these serials are supposed to be about to me than others have.

Dorohedoro vol.13: 'Inaudible screaming noises' So, so sad that this is wrapping up within the next few volumes. What a bizarre sci-fi tale and no mistake.

Weekly Shonen Jump #22: Off next week (save for the monthlies), so savoring the taste. In fact, I REALLY enjoyed this first chapter of the Naruto mini. That's quite something. Especially after two years of rolling my eyes at the series as a whole.

Colin YNWA

My comics bring all the nerds to the yard
I've read them, they're better than yours

Well most of them anyway. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 6 ends this series and was just about good enough to make me look forward to reading this disappointing mini at some point in the hope it works better as a whole.

Multiversity 2 also brings the series to an end and this one I loved, but haven't really got a clue how it all works, but I'm very much looking forward to reading it as a whole to find out. Same could be said for The Maxx 18 how can something so confusing be so good. Does this make things clearer... errr dunno, but I'm lovin' not knowin' and one day when I read it all back I'm sure I'll have a whole new wonderful dunno. I don't even think in this case its that I'm not smart enough for this comic. I think that its so utterly personal you just have to relax about finding Sam Keith's meaning and just find your own. Its big enough and good enough to allow you to do that.

Flash Gordon 3 confuses me in a different way. I wonder how a comic like this I can possibly like, its rubbish right... yet its not and having very recently finished the third volume of Alex Raymond's Sunday strips (of Flash Gordon that is) I've realised quite how masterful it actually is. Its taken that exotic, breakneck format from those early stories and imbuded them with new characters and sensibilities and while it dances so very closely with not working at all, it somehow pulls it off.What a fascinating comic this is, if not in and of itself, it is just a mindless fun bit of adventure bunkum filled with great characters bunching off each other in Sci-fi nonsense.

Elsewhere Hinterkind 17 sets up its conclusion (alas) very nicely, 12th Doc 7 continues being better with this arc in story if not art and 11th Doc 11 continues being plain good even if the art is  not for me. Fade Out 5 makes me want to talk more about comics that need to be read back when the story is done and Resident Alien 0 shows that even when you have read the stories before the return of this wonderful series is still an absolute delight. Invisible Republic 2 doesn't quite hold the heights of the first issue but is still very good, hope people are getting behind this book, which I suspect is flying under many's radar. Lazarus 16 is a nice little one off before the big stuff starts next time I suspect.

That leaves book of the Haul to They're Not like Us 5, except that's become a cliche as I said last time (please all of you buy this book to make sure it doesn't suffer the Colin Cancellation Curse) so I'll give it to War Stories 8 instead for being the story that confirms, after two duffers that Garth Ennis is still the master of the compelling war story. Thanks for getting back to that Mr Ennis. 

Colin YNWA

See below, in that very post below (or above I have my account set up so new posts appear on top of the old, I'm funny like that) I mention The Colin Cancellation Curse - well guess what's bloody well struck again... yes of course that very bloody curse. Now C.O.W.L. has been cancelled apparently. Bloody hell, how annoying.

Poor Fungus, he even has (had?) his avatar here as a support for the book. Its been bloody great but alas after issue 11 will be no more.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 May, 2015, 01:41:16 PM
The Colin Cancellation Curse

Just don't rub the latest issue of Afterlife with Archie against your tummy, eh?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 05 May, 2015, 02:19:31 PM

Just don't rub the latest issue of Afterlife with Archie against your tummy, eh?

Arh but I do like that a lot (after your recommendation (it was you right) - so thanks again) so all delays are almost certainly my self-obsessed fault too!

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 May, 2015, 02:44:57 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 05 May, 2015, 02:19:31 PM

Arh but I do like that a lot (after your recommendation (it was you right) - so thanks again) so all delays are almost certainly my self-obsessed fault too!

Yep, it was, and that nicely segues to my only non-Thrill Powered comic purchase this week;
Afterlife with Archie issue 8.
Again, a long delay since the previous issue- but I ain't one to complain when the quality is this good.

Looks like this will be a bit of a homage to 'The Shining'; http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/afterlife-with-archie-8-archie-comics-2015