Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 14 May, 2015, 04:31:10 PM
Surprised there are still so many Marvel titles on your pull list!

I've heard pretty much the same summary of Secret Wars from the three other Marvel readers I know (including my LCS guy).

For me, there's something about this whole Battleworld / Incursion concept that is just utterly, utterly stupid (even in the context of a fictional comic book universe).
I can't get over it.

Funny enough, I've literally just finished reading Secret Wars #2 (the introduction of Battleworld) and it is hugely better than #1, by an extremely wide margin. They really should have started with this one. I'll give Hickman his due - he does write Dr. Doom very well, and since Doom's one of my favourite Marvel characters, and is also pivotal to the story, that goes a long way for me.

The Adventurer

For me, there's something about this whole Battleworld / Incursion concept that is just utterly, utterly stupid (even in the context of a fictional comic book universe).
I can't get over it.

Concidering the original Secret Wars was a tie-in to a toy line, and Battleworld merely an excuse to get all these characters together for said toy line. I totally get what you're saying. It's hard to take It seriously.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Your nerd heart has more capacity for forgiveness than mine, Greg.

Quote from: The Adventurer on 14 May, 2015, 05:49:04 PM
I can't get over it.

Concidering the original Secret Wars was a tie-in to a toy line, and Battleworld merely an excuse to get all these characters together for said toy line. I totally get what you're saying. It's hard to take It seriously.

I ain't quite sure if you're being sarcastic or not, Adventurer!

PreacherCain

Quote from: Greg M. on 14 May, 2015, 05:27:42 PM
Funny enough, I've literally just finished reading Secret Wars #2 (the introduction of Battleworld) and it is hugely better than #1, by an extremely wide margin. They really should have started with this one.

Ditto. I was pretty underwhelmed by the first issue but #2 is really very good indeed. I haven't read any of Hickman's Marvel work (other than his SHIELD series from years ago that was never finished) but I'm a huge fan of his Image work. I only read a few of the smaller, weirder 'Hawkeye' genre Marvel titles (Howard the Duck, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Ant-Man) and none of the Avengers/X-Men/Spidey stuff.

In spite of all that, I thought Secret Wars #2 was absolutely fantastic. It's large-scale world-building familiar to anyone who has read his Image material, with hints of Astro City, Kingdom Come and Gaiman's 1602. I followed it without any trouble whatsoever and Ribic's art is really impressive to behold.

According to a CBR interview with Hickman, this issue was written first, with #1 written as a sort of prologue to tie up the 616/Ultimate threads. I highly recommend giving #2 a go.

Hawkmumbler

Oh, I also got Howard the Duck #3, so their's my one Marvel title for the month for ya! :lol:

Hawkmumbler

What a week! WHAT A LOVELY WEEK!

Kicking off with Dark Horse Presents 2014 #10 and the series has never been closer to being dropped, with only Dream Gang holding it on by a thread, the rest is a resounding mixture of OK and 'urgh'.

Ahem...WE HAVE A MAD MAX COMIC!!!! #1 Written by George Miller (!!!!) and illustrated by Riccardo Burchielle (!!!!!) how can this go wrong? Anyway, first issue is superb. Fun, fun, fun just like the movies! Buy it, support it, let them know we want an ongoing series, bloody hell this is a fun little title!

Meanwhile The Goon (Once Upon a Hard Time) #3 and Groo Friends and Foes #5 battle it out for comic of the week....but I gave it to 2000AD instead. ( ;)) In all seriousness, Groo and Goon are just two superbly written, illustrated, story driven series that I cN't help but fall in love with. Such passion for comics can only come from two of the best creative writers in the industry, with a superb set of artists to boot.

And after the resounding success that was Senso, I've decided to jump head long into Usagi Yojimbo #145. Bit daunted at the prospect but hope to nab some of the collected editions in the future, but honestly? I'm amazed it's taken me this long to get to, all the hall marks of a series I would love are their, I guess it was simply the fact it has been going on so long that unnerved me. But thanks to the mini I now think I have a good grasp on the mythology of the title.

Django/Zorro #7 wraps up the series, and it's been a jolly fun ride. A highly recomended, if somewhat light hearted, run by Tarantino and Wagner.

Meanwhile Doctor Who 11th #12 is a good example as to why the series has percivierd a year. It's unadulterated FUN! Simon Fraser did the cover for this one, which tive's me hope he might return to do interiros. Not that I don't mind Warren Pleece though....

In the Weekly Shonen Jump #25, as flawed as it may be I do feel Straighten Up! has a lot of heart in it, and the train sequence between the two leads was remarkably heart warming after the soules romance in Nisekoi. Dependent on how 'bad' Devily Man may be, Straighten Up! might actualy be a welcome edition to the Jump...

Hawkmumbler

Bit of a lean week, but three goodies none the less.

Big Trouble in Little China #11 is a geeat example of split story telling between two almost self contained character arcs. Powell has really immersed himself in this world Carpenter created and he's clearly having a hell of a time writing the title.

In Godzilla Rulers of Earth #24, we have JET JAGUAR VS. GIGAN!!!! I seem to remember the last time that happened it was in the (shit) vs. Megalon movie. But this comic has basicly fullfiled my every dream as a Toho fan, so i'm stocked for this.

Weekly Shonen Jump  #26 introduces Devily Man, which completely blew my expectations out of the water and is possibly the best 'new' series since Stealth Symphoney and My Hero Academia. Really hope this keeps up momentum and stay's on as a weekly.

Link Prime

My biggest week in quite some time;

Sabrina 3 The much delayed 2nd issue was well worth the wait, and I'm pleasantly surprised this is on schedule. A nasty horror tale with a black heart- I know it would appeal to most of you.
The Black Hood 4 Oh yeah- forgot to mention I was reading this. It's a new title from Archie's 'Dark Circle' imprint. Lovely artwork by Michael Gaydos, who previously worked for Tharg for a short stint on Devlin Waugh. And it's written by.....Duane Swierczynski. And it's good!  :o
Ragnarok 5 One of the best being published right now.
Providence 1 Alan Moore's new Lovecraftian tale. I adored Neonomicon, really looking forward to it.
Sons of The Devil 1 Just tickled my fancy.
Sandman Overture 5 Long delays withstanding, it's a must-read.

PreacherCain

Invisible Republic 3 - I've been really enjoying this. Lovely artwork and it's got a nice 2000AD vibe to it too.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: PreacherCain on 27 May, 2015, 09:37:28 PM
Invisible Republic 3 - I've been really enjoying this. Lovely artwork and it's got a nice 2000AD vibe to it too.

What he said. Buy the book people its good, its very good indeed.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 27 May, 2015, 09:59:11 PM
Quote from: PreacherCain on 27 May, 2015, 09:37:28 PM

What he said. Buy the book people its good, its very good indeed.

So Invisible Republic 3 was in my Haul this week and just to reiterate it was bloody good and you should all be reading it. Sharp interweaving of two stories, both equally compelling makes this brilliant stuff and if I hadn't got a simple quote to use to springboard this post off with  it might have got book of the haul, which always appears at the end of the post.

You should also read King Flash Gordon 4, except it turns out preposterous but fun series turns out to be a 4 issue mini. I have no idea if this was planned, or the result of sales but its now listed as always being the case. Huh never seen that said before and its certainly not listed on the comics. I do wish companies would be clearer about the lenght of series. I'm sure there's business reasons for not but its bloody annoying. Ho hum.

Winter World - Frozen Fleet 1 we at least know is the opener of a 3 issue mini. I kinda suspect its actually a left over arc from the now canceled ongoing, given its a pretty smooth continuation. Anyway slighty stilted Esteve Polls art aside its a great action adventure.

Everything else in the haul is pretty much on typically fantastic form 11th Doc 12 , Sex 21, Maxx 19, Fade Out 6 and Ragnarok 5 all superb. Though the latter there I'm still not sure if that's only a 6 issue mini or an on-going?

So if Invisible Republic doesn't get book of the haul should I give it to Resident Alien - The Sam Hain Mystery 1 which is typically glorious lo-fi fun but no I think I'll give it to They're not like us 6 cos it concludes (I assume) the first arc quite brilliantly. With the return of Nowhere Man being strongly hinted at you all should be getting any and all Eric Stephenson goodness you can. Now if there was ever a chase of a suit walking the walk its Image's Publisher who also happens to write their two best series. Go figure.

Anyway I'm tired and this haul review has floundered trying to get a theme to pin it all together, so if you all could be so kind as to assume I'm made some kinda witty, if poorly grammered and spelled, concluding sentence linking the fact this is a perfectly formed haul and the fact I don't know whether series are limited or ongoing I'd appreciate it.

Yawn (but not cos of my wonderful comics)

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Greg M. on 14 May, 2015, 05:27:42 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 14 May, 2015, 04:31:10 PM
Surprised there are still so many Marvel titles on your pull list!

I've heard pretty much the same summary of Secret Wars from the three other Marvel readers I know (including my LCS guy).

I can't get over it.

Funny enough, I've literally just finished reading Secret Wars #2 (the introduction of Battleworld) and it is hugely better than #1, by an extremely wide margin. They really should have started with this one. I'll give Hickman his due - he does write Dr. Doom very well, and since Doom's one of my favourite Marvel characters, and is also pivotal to the story, that goes a long way for me.

So worth bothering with #2, Greg, and skipping #1? I picked it up to have a flick through in my LCS yesterday and the chap I know there shook his head. He said it was very hard to follow what the hell was going on. I put it back down immediately!

I did pick up Old Man Logan #1 which is very good indeed and am looking forward to the next. Some cracking art in the first few pages - some really good action. Luckily you don't need to be down with the whole Battleworld / Secret Wars thing to enjoy it and don't need to have read the previous Old Man Logan stuff either.

Also managed to snag the last copy of Fight Club 2 #1 in my LCS. So was quite chuffed with that as I'd missed it when it came out and was thinking I might have to pay silly eBay prices. Again, very good, with some excellent artwork throughout. Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

I also enjoyed the first Mad Max comic which has the back story of Nux and Imortan Joe. This one I had to pay silly money for on eBay, but I'm such a big fan of MM, I didn't want to miss it. I stupidly strolled into my LCS thinking I could pick it up with no worries but every single copy was reserved or bought within three hours or them stacking the shelves!

Haven't got to Providence #1 yet, the new Alan Moore comic, but it's on my reading pile. Same with The Infinity Gauntlet #1. Mind you, the latter was a mistake I think. I thought it might follow up Infinity from a year or two ago, but it doesn't. It's bloody Secret Wars. And the art is pants. Might be heading for eBay unread...

Greg M.

Quote from: Simon Beigh on 31 May, 2015, 08:36:42 AM

So worth bothering with #2, Greg, and skipping #1? I picked it up to have a flick through in my LCS yesterday and the chap I know there shook his head. He said it was very hard to follow what the hell was going on. I put it back down immediately!

Hard to know whether to recommend it or not - I'd say it's much easier to follow than #1 if you're coming into it fresh. If you want to check it out, let me know and I'll PM you the code for the free digital copy. If nothing else, it's a great-looking comic.

BPP

Quote from: Greg M. on 31 May, 2015, 09:29:57 AM
Quote from: Simon Beigh on 31 May, 2015, 08:36:42 AM

Hard to know whether to recommend it or not - I'd say it's much easier to follow than #1 if you're coming into it fresh. If you want to check it out, let me know and I'll PM you the code for the free digital copy. If nothing else, it's a great-looking comic.

I found one made some degree of sense and had drive and propulsion to carry it. Two was just silly 'Marvel is Game of Thrones' and made no sense as I'd no background as to how the various characters got to where they are status wise at the start of the tale. The art in these is astoundingly good but it's really in the service of tosh.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 May, 2015, 10:03:37 PM
You should also read King Flash Gordon 4, except it turns out preposterous but fun series turns out to be a 4 issue mini. I have no idea if this was planned, or the result of sales but its now listed as always being the case. Huh never seen that said before and its certainly not listed on the comics. I do wish companies would be clearer about the lenght of series. I'm sure there's business reasons for not but its bloody annoying. Ho hum.

I have been considering this one, as it seem's to be a very fun comic despite having little conection to the character. It's deffinetly one i'll keep my eye on for future sale's or a trade wait.