Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

This completely passed me by; Rob Williams is writing the newly relaunched Martian Manhunter, out today.

Preview; http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/martian-manhunter-1-dc-comics-2015

Bleeding heart liberal article; http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/17/everything-you-knew-about-the-martian-manhunter-is-wrong/

I'll admit it isn't a character I've had much exposure to, apart from Grant Morrisons JLA run, I'm purely interested in Williams writing it.

Anyone pick this up? I think I'll give it a shot.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 17 June, 2015, 07:45:58 PM
This completely passed me by; Rob Williams is writing the newly relaunched Martian Manhunter, out today.

This is the very proof that my move away from DC is more deep rooted then I thought. A writer I really like, on a character I'm find of, with a premise that seems very interesting and I still passed. I kinda think I might go back to this at some point but I surprised myself with this one.

Also see Secret Six.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 June, 2015, 09:13:44 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 17 June, 2015, 07:45:58 PM

This is the very proof that my move away from DC is more deep rooted then I thought. A writer I really like, on a character I'm find of, with a premise that seems very interesting and I still passed. I kinda think I might go back to this at some point but I surprised myself with this one.

Also see Secret Six.

Well actually it didn't last long at all. A moment of weakness this weekend, a couple of good reviews and a peek at the preview and next thing you know Martian Manhunter 1 is on the way... but arriving before that was Black Canary 1 which had the exact same thing happen and by gosh am I glad I did.Great first issue. Refreshingly different in an oh so familiar and comfortable way... I wonder how many more will win me over... Bizarro looks intriguing...

Link Prime

Well, you tried Colin. You tried.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 22 June, 2015, 11:29:26 PM

I know, I know pretty pathetic. I genuinely thought something had shifted in the comic part of my brain and I was free man, FREE...

...but no.

Mind I will say the thing I liked about Black Canary is that it doesn't seem to have much to do with Black Canary as I know her, look and powers aside and reads more like something from Dark Horse or similar.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 June, 2015, 08:18:48 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 22 June, 2015, 11:29:26 PM

I know, I know pretty pathetic. I genuinely thought something had shifted in the comic part of my brain and I was free man, FREE...

...but no.

The heart wants what it wants.

I feel your pain brother, I'm just hoping that Marvel won't turn my head with any titles post-Secret Wars.

Jeff Lemire reportedly taking over X-Men?
I may have to wear my chastity belt this autumn.

I, Cosh

Did anybody else pick up All-Star Section Eight #1 last week? It wasn't particularly amazing but seems to promise six months of Ennis taking the piss out of a different DC hero with some typically fun McCrea art.

Inessential but entertaning.
We never really die.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 June, 2015, 04:09:45 PM
Did anybody else pick up All-Star Section Eight #1 last week? It wasn't particularly amazing but seems to promise six months of Ennis taking the piss out of a different DC hero with some typically fun McCrea art.

Inessential but entertaning.

Yes I got it, and deemed it; Bueno.
Ennis & McCrea are clearly relishing their piss-take of Batman in this issue, and I found it genuinely funny.

In these pseudo-sensitive times it was also heartening to see that DC still have the balls to feature a sweaty South American rapist as a member of the team.

Link Prime

NB; McCrea was signing in Dublin on the night of the release of Section Eight 1, but I didn't get a chance to go in.
A mate from work did pick me up one of the exclusive prints he was signing though; 'The Boys Vs Section 8'.

Hawkmumbler

Slim pickings this week but all's good none the less.

Spread #8 heads into full Mountains of Madness territory and continues to be an all round solid title with some fantastic art.  No and friends are all trying to get to a Spread free zone, but the infection isn't letting them get away that easy. Really am enjoying how the series has been thus far and hooe it run's a good while yet.

Weekly Shonen Jump #31 provided yet another superb line up. Really enjoying the old school re-runs of Knighhts of the Zodiac. The art has all the hall marks of a very talented artist trying to get a big break but the universe is a rather intruiging one. Folie À Deux was a VERY good one-shot only slightly marred by genre tropes. Would pay good money to see more of it. My Hero Academia is setting up future plot threads, with a hero killer still on the loose and Tenya out for blood. One-Punch Man give's us yet another supremely over powerd antagonist. Wonder how long this one will last...

Colin YNWA

So Martian Manhunter 1 arrived and you know what its not bad. Didn't grab me as immediately as Black Canary did. The reason for that is its all intrigue. It builds loads of questions, which isn't a bad idea at all for a first issue of course, just didn't feel I got too much else. Still I want to know what happens and the premise seems to be pretty damned intersting. The Martian Manhunter the greatest sleeper agent ever? We'll see.

I really like Eddy Barrows' art too. It always feels like it should be a little to fussy and functional for my tastes but for whatever reason it works for me. The comics will get a 3 issue trial but I'm hopeful Rob Williams will pull this off.

Colin YNWA

So any thoughts in these parts about the multitude of Image announcements at their own Expo?

Useful summary here:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/image-announces-over-twenty-new-titles-at-annual-expo-kirkman-albuquerque-simone-rucka-more/

My initial reaction is The Goddamned by Aaron and Guerra sounds a fantastic idea, even if I'm yet to tried Scalped, though I have been very tempted and I reckon I'm in for that. Hadrian's Wall while the title isn't as literal as I'd hoped, the team that brought us C.O.W.L. gets my buck, though I hope this lasts longer (assuming its meant to be an ongoing, Image are always so vague about that these days). For some reason the promo for The One% has pulled me in for that one even though I don't know Kaare Kyle Andrews' work. Cry Havok 'cos its Spurrier gets a add to my pull list also.

There's others that I should be more interested in that I'll possibly end up trying. I mean Rucka and Scott on Black Magic, should be a defo, but the concept leaves me cold. Gail Simone on Crosswind should have me more interested than I am right now. Faster than Light has peaked my interest too, but don't know the team.

So yeah some thinking to do about my pull list as these come out as there another title from Dark Horse been announced as well that I'd like to get. What escapes me at the moment!

Colin YNWA

Would you look at me stomping all over this thread.

Anyway in case anyone was interested... and come on why wouldn't you be!... the Dark Horse comic that had the misfortune to announce (I think its the first time?) its release yesterday amid like 790232 Image titles was Kingsway West.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/sdcc-exclusive-pak-merges-magic-with-the-old-west-in-kingsway-west

Looks fun.

The Adventurer

Ooh, Ringside by Keatinge is the wrestling comic I always wanted to read. Nice. I suspect Invincible Reboot will be more then it seems, Kirkman rarely plays it safe.

Not much else jumping out at me.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

A few things to consider their, but will reserve judgement for closer to each title's release.

This weeks haul was chock full of the usual suspects and some new titles, glorious it is too.

Age of Reptiles Ancient Egyptians #2 is ace, as you would expect. Pure, thrilling comics and such a joy to look at. Easily pick of the week for me. Big Trouble in Little China #12 is also rip roaringly good, funny as hell too. Really enjoying this ongoing (I thought it would be a mini....then a Maxi....but now it's still going).

Something quite special though comes in the form of The Spirit #1 by Matt Wagner. Still mean to read more of this mans work but I can already tell he's incredibly talented. A very fun, freshly written noir comic.

Another #1 in the form if We Stand On Guard #1. I really enjoyed the preview in Saga and love the waring factions made up of no particular nations but instad a rag tag bunch was very, very enjoyable.

Meanwhile both Vertigo Quaterly 2015 #2, Doctor Who 12th #9 and War Stories #10 sit their, un-read. Maybe on Sunday i'll have the time off to get to them.

Weekly Shonen Jump #32 however keeps rolling with the punches. Virtualy everything is setting the house on fire, with the usualy highlights of Hero Academia, Toriko, One Piece and One-Punch Man being the best of the best right now.