Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacob g

I don't know where to ask about this (since I don't have permission to post in every thread) yet still I need to ask somewhere:

US edition of Judge Dredd: America that recently hit the stores, is there any significant changes/bonuses in this editon in comparision to UK edition? Other than cover art?
margaritas ante porcos

J.Smith

Someone will probably pop along and give you a proper answer but I'm sure I read somewhere that it has a slightly higher page count than the previous edition, which leads me to presume that it includes Judgement Call, which was newly included in the first volume of the Mega Collection to round off Beeny's story somewhat.

Hawkmumbler

I'm somewhat concerned that Colin hasn't posted a mu-assive review in weeks. A lack of thrill power in your long box at the moment?

But anyway, another week and another batch of comics. Chief of these is the long awaited ninth volume of Empowered. I adore this series, in all it's excesses. It's unashamed catering to both the male and female eye with Adam Warrens mastery of the human curvature. The gorgeous pencil only artwork, the ridiculous character design and the fun, charming and easy to get into story telling. That being said....i've still not read Empowered Unchained from back in april....maybe I should give the series a bit of a binge read at some point.

Friends and Foes of Groo #8, Island #2, and Four Doctors #2 (I did mention this was a weekly title, right?) all continue to entertain as they have before. All steady fixers and fun titles. Though Groo does make me wonder just how much material I have to catch up on!

Speaking of which, Savage Dragon #206. Poor Malcolm. He just can't catch a break. You take over from your dad as the lead of the title comic, and all of a sudden everyone want's to kill you. Can't the kid even have his graduation day in piece? I also got Savage Dragon Archives 3 and 4. Loving it! More please.

I've been a fan of Oeming for a while now. His webcomic Supers is great, and Mice Templer always looks fun. His early works are now collected in a Oemnibus. Some really cool small press superhero comics in here, might be of interest to some. Ultraman vol.1 also looks phenomenal. Not the most well achooled fan of ultraman, got I love Linebarrels so it's aweaome to see they did a good number on this.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 19 August, 2015, 10:05:22 PM
I'm somewhat concerned that Colin hasn't posted a mu-assive review in weeks. A lack of thrill power in your long box at the moment?

Nah, nowt as sinister as me jollies. Got a mini haul which I took away but didn't get the chance to post. Fear not I'm back to the nerd shop this weekend and normal, ill thought out, misspelled service will resume... mind apparently The Island will be there, so given what that did to me last time it might be even more overly long that normal!

Hadn't heard of Oemnibus, might see about that one...

Hawkmumbler

Ah! I look forward to it. It's always a pleasure to read other people banging on about great comics. The Oemnibus is great, BTW. A nice chuncky but not too cumbersome collection with some rad looking stories inside.

Oh, I forgot to mention. No Jump this week. Dammit.

Link Prime

Haven't posted on this thread in a while, mainly because my pile of un-read comics was growing so unwieldy I've been 1-2 months behind on most titles.

As a brief summary, two of the comics I am enjoying most (for vastly different reasons) are Providence by Moore & Burrows (an intricate slow-burn Cthulhu Mythos yarn) and Archie by Waid & Staples (an utterly, utterly charming high-school comedy-drama).

Getting right back up to date with new comic day, this week I've two good'uns inbound;

Marvel Zombies (Vol 6) 3 by Spurrier and Walker. I neither know nor wish to know absolutely anything about the latest Secret Wars, but will stick with this until the conclusion later this year. The usual witty script by Spurrier and the best non-2000AD work I've seen from Kev Walker. I don't believe I've read any comics featuring protagonist Elsa Bloodstone before, but found I was instantly fond of the character. Great stuff so far.
Ragnarok 6 by Simonson. It's had a sporadic release schedule, but the quality is simply outstanding. Quite possibly the best comic being published right now. Check out that new preview; http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/ragnarok-6-idw-2015

Theblazeuk

I believe Elsa Bloodstone is in NEXT WAVE by Warren Ellis, which is bloody good sweary fun.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 August, 2015, 10:56:53 AM
Haven't posted on this thread in a while, mainly because my pile of un-read comics was growing so unwieldy I've been 1-2 months behind on most titles.

Well bloomin' well get reeading man!

I too make my return after a mini hiatus with a bit of a frustrating haul... I'll try not to launch into The Island straigtht away and rather I'll talk about other annoyances. Both Black Canary 3 and Martian Manhunter 3 hit... well the issue three cutting point and both do so with their weakest issues to date, which doesn't help them. Black Canary has been great to this point so it gets a pass to the next round, but is on another 3 issue test. MM... well were we really meant to be surprised by the identity of Mr Buscuits? This is far from Rob Williams best work... its not even the best thing in the haul and thats before we get to his 2000ad work at the moment... yet this might still get another 3 too... not quite sure why.

The Spire 2 is already on the way to becoming a need to read as one. Its no Six Gun Gorilla but this team deserves time to convince me, or for this to click into place. Hip Hop Family Tree 1 is equally frustrating. There's a lot of history to get in here but if it was told in a less literal way there could be a cracking comics here. There were so many things reduced to either a page, or even a panel I'd have like to have seen given more space and time. Still its a fascinating read, if it could be so much more and so deserves more time.

So to The Island 2, its going to get one last issue to prove it, but its done nothing to deserve my love. The skater story finishes and I still understand more about what this was trying to do from the intro paragraph last issue than from reading the 40 very ordinary pages it has this month. I.D.s doesn't fulfil the potential of its interesting idea. The best long form story in it again will go missing again for 4 months. Simon Roys 'Habitat' is pretty good. Told in a tighter way it wouldn't be out of place in 2000ad and could go to interesting places... will I still be hear for it. Dunno. Will Kirkby's 6 pages at the beginning are by far the most interesting thing - but I ain't paying this much for 6 pages of good, 20 pages of pretty good and lots of pages of muh. Even the text pieces were very mediocre too. Still one more chance for this as this is the type of comics I want (in principal) and as an anthology might surprise next month.

So an up note is needed and The Spirit 2 provides it. Wagner (other one) provides a very clever way to keep The Spirit out of it and still front and centre. Judging my next week he'll also work in the glorious short form globe trotting of Eisner, while of course not. This is a brilliant;y structured book, well executed. Well another frustration is FBP 23 as this series crunches to it end. Its possible read back this final story will do justice to the great series that has gone before. Not really getting it at the moment. 

So far only one issue I've not had a problem with. The Fade Out 8 doesn't turn things either. Ed Brubaker advises a re-read of the story to date and I can't say I disagree, its beginning to drift month to month(ish) and a re-read might well tighten it up. That's not a good thing, but its been good enough prior to this to deserve patience.

Sigh so not good so far really... thank you Joe Casey and Sex 23 and Garth Ennis for War Stories 11, which art aside (please can we have a new artist on this book) takes a glorious turn for some more good comics without qualification... oh well art in War Stories put to one side.

Book of the haul though goes, by a margin, to 11th DocWho 15's glorious ending to its first season. Rob Williams, Al Ewing and Simon Fraser wrap things up quite brilliantly. If only the telly show had remained as good as this. Best Who out there.

So yeah frustrating haul, lets hope some of these books reach their potential in the coming months.

J.Smith

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 August, 2015, 09:19:41 PM
Hip Hop Family Tree 1 is equally frustrating. There's a lot of history to get in here but if it was told in a less literal way there could be a cracking comics here. There were so many things reduced to either a page, or even a panel I'd have like to have seen given more space and time. Still its a fascinating read, if it could be so much more and so deserves more time.

Haven't read this myself yet but it was a series I wanted to get into, even though I know nothing about hip hop and have hardly listened to any, because of Piskor's brilliant artwork and the amazing style he presents the comic in. Well, first of all: yay, footnotes. Doubt it'll help me understand who everyone is that much but it adds a lot of context to the various scenes, which looks quite interesting (and by the way, although I get your complaint of the little time being spent in various places, it's worth keeping in mind that the series was released into at least one book first before Piskor started releasing short instalments of the strip on BoingBoing and as he's pointed out, there's so much to cover and he intends to take the series as far as he possibly can), and I can appreciate that. Secondly, yep, it looks seriously amazing. Not just because it draws influence for its look from comics Piskor read as a kid - he's just a great artist. I quite enjoy following him on Twitter because he's always posting sketches for pages he's working on, the pencilled work and finally the inked page.

Thirdly - and this was the first thing I noticed when I went to skim through my copy - I recall a specific feature video on the series where Piskor guided the cameraman through where he grew up, the places he hangs out as he's doing his work, etc. or another one like that. Anyway, at one point, talking briefly about the presentation of the book, how it's emulating comics from the time the series is set in, he jokes that the only thing the books are missing is the smell of old newsprint. So imagine my surprise when I get this comic in my hands and find that Fantagraphics are so nuts that that the comic - I presume the books don't - actually does smell! Hah! Gotta say, I loved that.

Hawkmumbler

You would have thought going digital would make it easier to read comics on holiday. Problem isn't the format it's TIME!!!

sheldipez

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 September, 2015, 06:14:14 PM
You would have thought going digital would make it easier to read comics on holiday. Problem isn't the format it's TIME!!!

Quote fixed  :D... I have read over half a years comics this week, including the prog.

Talk about overload

Hawkmumbler

Turns out an 8 hour drive from Caleis to Manchester was all I needed to get caught up. And what lovelies their where (with a few befuddling entries to boot).

First the odd one's. We Stand on Guard #3 has all the hall marks of a title I should love. Apocalypse, intercontinental warefare, mechs, cross species conflict. But then why is it all so....bland? Not grabbing me at all, i'm afraid despitw being helmed by a highly respectable and talented team. One I won't be brining home next month. Then theirs Godzilla in Hell #2. Oh....well then, it's a different artist and writer for every issue then. That's...novel. And to be fair I do adore Bob Eglettons art....on a cover. His static image referenced, painted style doess not take well to the interiors and flows like a log bobbing down a river. An eye sore, i'm afraid. Whats that? Ulises Farines is illustrating #3?....Well then...at least i've got that to look forward to.

Four Doctors continues to be aces through #3 and #4 and thunders at a break neck speed. Read this quickly peeps!...or wait for the trade. Either way, it's top event Who. War Stories #12 provides once again a high octane dose of old school action and after my somewhat sci-fi heavy pull list it comes as a breath of fresh air. I will echo Colins sentements though that a new artist is much in need. I hear Cam Kennedy isn't doing much these days....

Tegami Bachi vol.18 brings the conflict between the revolution and the Amberground governemtn to the forfront as Lag and co. are caught up in the mass of it. As ever, a delight to read and a truely vissual feast by this stage. As is Spread #9 as well. A grizzly tale as ever but still mesemrrising in it's grotesqueness, instantly being the perfect combination of Hellraiser and The Thing while still holding it's own. Top entertainment.

A new title in the form of Plutona #1 and it's wonderful stuff. Jeff Lemire is once again tells a riveting yarn (perhapse a little to much akin to Super 8 but still...) and the new artist on the block hits the ball out of the park. At first it appears to just be another 'Children discover something wicked in the woods' tale but lets see how this one plays out...

Comic of the months however, is Maxx #22. Oh Sarah, you and that giant Banana Slug....yeah, still no clue whats going on but god if it isn't just the most entertaining level of confusion while also giving me a lot of wonderful painted pages to look at. It's hard to think Sam Kieth didn't completely redraw some issues, and instead it's all just superbly rendered edits. Top stuff and can't wait to read it all in one go once it's finished (or buy the HC's...).

And two issues of the Weekly Shonen Jump (#37-#38) provide some top of the range entertainment. Garo come's face to face with the Caped Baldy in One-Punch Man, something nasty is brewing in the border between dimensions in Toriko, Luffy punches and old man in the face in One Piece, the chief of police in Japan is shown to be a cocker spaniel in My Hero Academia, and Bleach is actualy really, really good for a change as Mayuri fights a giant left arm. Really, it's like 59ft tall.

Fungus

The rest means nothing to me, but kinda pleased We Stand On Guard isn't the Next Big Thing. First issue didn't quite hit the mark for me. Not missing out, then.

No US comics for me the last 2 months. They pile up. Such is life. I'll hijack this thread if time allows...  :)

Colin YNWA

Comics, I got a few,
But then again, enough to mention
So I do, what I always do and whitter on without exception...

And I'll start with a finish. FBP 24 brings this once proud series to a conclusion. Its been a frustrating end to this comic. You can tell it was curtailed before its time. So while this last arc has been given time to finish things off, some strands haven't been given the space they deserved and this disappointing 8 part last arc just hasn't been of the standard of the series as a whole and the 'I won't sell out' ending was a little trite. Still the first 2/3s of this series were good enough that I've put the run straight onto read pile and hope that when read back the end holds up better.

Elsewhere Prez 3 gets this series through the 3 issue test with ease, its not subtle satire, but its fun and engaging, well executed and feels fresh. Good enough for me. The Maxx 22 has a steady issue, more down to earth and somehow that doesn't quite work as well, which is not to say this is anything other than great, just not as great as many in this fine, ridiculous comic.

There are two other great mini ending in his haul, War Stories 12 ends this story with a great tale and terrible art. Ragnarok 6 ends its first arc (wayhey the rumour, started by Simonson no less that this had become a mini isn't true - so happy!) ends with glorious art and story... actually why isn't this comic of the haul... oh hold on I know...

Another board member recently said Lazarus is their fav current series and this issue certainly hold as a great example of what they identified about what they loved about it, issue 19 works as a great single comic, its a great part in an ongoing and manages to create some wonderful tension around the fate of our supposedly indestructible led. Great execution and a fine part of this great series. However when you stand it next to what I think is my favourite current series They're Not Like Us 7
like almost all other series it becomes a little exposed. Eric Stephenson crafts quite brilliant characters, shifts the ongoing story into its second arc, ties it perfectly whats gone before and Simon Gane wraps it all in simply beautiful art. It makes the astonishing feel grounded and real. Its like the anti-Kirby of superhero comics and just like Kirby did with the superhero as new Gods (lack of capital deliberate) Stephenson and Gane do as well with the opposite extreme with a geniune portrait of superpowered folk as vulernable folks. Just perfect comics.

Satanist

You know what's great? Providence that's what. Anyone else reading this? Anyone?

An Alan Moore comic based on Lovecraft mythology now at issue 4 and there's nary a peep. Its the end of times I tells ye.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?