Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

First up was Death Sentence London #5

Damn it! I have totally missed this, just got the first issue, gggggrrrr!

The Fade Out #10 continues to brighten up my life while Doctor Who 11th Doc, Year Two #1 (!)does what it should having that great team on board.
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 October, 2015, 08:20:41 PM

The Fade Out #10 continues to brighten up my life

It really is a good comics isn't it. Shame it'll be over so soon.

Fungus

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 October, 2015, 09:18:26 AM

Possibly my favourite, currently. Why do the good ones all end ?!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fungus on 23 October, 2015, 10:06:03 AM

The good thing is though when it does end I feel it'll read like a nice, tight prose novel, which I think are the creators objectives?

Hawkmumbler

Chin up lads, lots of good new #1 out right now and upcoming.

TordelBack

What's your take on Paper Girls, Colin?  Saw the first issue and it looked like my sort of thing, but I'm not generally a big BKV fan.

Fungus

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 October, 2015, 10:30:15 AM
Quote from: Fungus on 23 October, 2015, 10:06:03 AM

The good thing is though when it does end I feel it'll read like a nice, tight prose novel, which I think are the creators objectives?

Sure will. Brubaker does thrillers so well. In Velvet it's marginally weakened - for me - by being so clearly reminiscent of Le Carre/Fleming. Fade-Out has a more interesting premise, more likeable characters, and some irresistible art with great covers.

The 'end' comment was a bit tongue in cheek, if runs didn't end the new stuff wouldn't be viable...

Colin YNWA

Really enjoyed it. It kinda read like Steve King's IT but for my generation. Very evocative of a mid 80s coming of age, which is right up my street, but with shenanigans of the goat eyed kind (well kinda goat eyed, but they sure are spooky eyes), though what is actually a foot is still very much in question. I wonder if over all its going to be a look at how the world has changed, so very significantly, for people born in 70s. We digital immigrants.

I'm rapidly becoming a big fan of BKV though. I'd not read much of his stuff, as a lot of his lauded works started during my wilderness years, or just as I was finding my feet with comics so I missed it. Tried Saga after all the fuss and while I enjoyed it wasn't blown away. BUT for various reasons I've recently tried both Y and Ex Machina and have really enjoyed what I've read of both.

So yeah Paper Girls issue 1 looks glorious, but then again I'm a big fan of Cliff Chiang's work too, reads really nicely. Seems to be setting up an interesting main theme (though I could be WAY off there, I so often am) and you get a nice chunk of comic for your money. So what's not to like.

Fungus

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 23 October, 2015, 10:34:37 AM
Chin up lads, lots of good new #1 out right now and upcoming.

Aha - it's true.
On that note, Karnak and Doctor Strange dropped through the letterbox 5 mins ago. Worth a punt, I thought.

Fungus

Hm, Paper Girls I have almost bought a few times now, it's just that Chiang art I can't quite take. He's a 'superstar' artist apparently, so, it's probably just me.

Colin YNWA

Yeah and it would seem that Si Spurrier has a new ongoing from Image coming out in January. The concept doesn't grab me, but its the lovely Mr Spurrier so I'm game to give it a go.

AND since we don't get Rocket Girl anymore that creative teams take on Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur coming out soon can only be a good thing, right?

AND Nowhere Men is coming back

AND Dan Abnett's Hercules sounds really interesting

AND GMozz's Kluas

AND The Goddamned...

...bugger me I'm actually quite relieved some stuff is finishing actually!

Hawkmumbler

Yeah, whatever happened to Rocket Girl? It came back after a hiatus and just...vanished. Just as I had given it another try and found it more enjoyable, as well.

More Nowhere Men is a MUST for me. The first trade was superb to say the least (must jump on Resident Alien sometime, seem's much of the same ilk) and scratched a nice itch more me in it's strange take on Band life for scientists.

Cry Havoc look's amazing, and from what Si Spurriers been teasing on twitter, i'm going to be all over it like a rash. And surely i'm not the only one who'll be giving Black Magick a try, Greg Rucka on a fantasy noir tale!

Oh, and C.O.W.L fans might want to check out Hadrians Wall by the same creative team.

Colin YNWA

I'm on me jollies looking after the munchkins. So what do I do to celebrate this precious time with the kids, go buy comics of course AND read them. So I need to share th love and tell you lot all about um right, right.

Weakest of the bunch was 12th Doc 13 which is really tittering on the brink of getting the boot, 11th Doc so much better and not sure I need two Doc's in my life. If I feel the need to drop I suspect this will be it. Island 4 is also continuing to confuse me, and not just in the should it stay or should it go now way but in the way I don't think I understood the vast majority of what I read. That's not to say I didn't like it, I did, I didn't understand it in the way I liked, in the way that made me realise that I wanted to and wanted to work with the strips and that I was being exposed to stuff that I otherwise wouldn't that I wanted to be exposed to 'You are an Island for this City' was quite brilliant... I think... Popgun War: Chain letter was superb... I think. Multiple Warhead... well actually I just didn't get this, struggling to follow it. A Land called Tarot was good fun, like an extended Bob Byrne story really. The main gripe now is I'm no longer sure what is ongoing, what is returning, when and for how long and if things remain this fractured that might be the final straw. Though the last two issues have been much better than the first two and a great deal closer to the comic I want.

Black Canary 5 was pretty good but another dip issue, this series ebs and flows a little, Prez 5 was as superb as the rest. Hip Hop Family Tree 3 continues to frustrate and delight in equal measures. The Spirit 4 just continues to delight. The Fade Out 10 builds deftly to its conclusion. The Spire 4 was that 'its clicked' issue and while I still need to go back and re-read something gelled this issue and I loved it. So why is it not issue of the haul...

... well cos They're Not Like Us 9 was in my haul and when Eric Stephenson is on form he writes the best comics I read. Love Simon Gane and Jordie Bellaire's art too. Perfect comics.

I, Cosh

So far, All-Star Section Eight has been a bit drab. Garth taking the piss out of superheroes by numbers. So this month's issue was a real jump in quality. It is, of course, entirely possible that this is down to me being the sort of floppy-fringed pseudo-intellectual who gets the joke about Swamp Thing #50 while similar references in previous issues have sailed happily over my head.

Either way, I haven't laughed as much at a comic in a while as I did at the hip-hop introduction to this month's guest star:
"...Always enigmatic in the face of danger,
Best believe I'm [spoiler]the muthafuckin' Phantom Stranger[/spoiler]!"

The Spire continues to be fun. I'd certainly think this setting has legs beyond the current mini-series but lets see how it finishes first.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Weekly Shonen Jump #48 hits the spot. One Piece hurls itself head first into a new arc and what wonderfully delirious ideas it had in store (and a moment of silence for Ryunosuke, please). My Hero Academia hurtls towards the end of the Exam arc, with Eraserhead confeonting Shoto and Yayorozu in final battle. Wonderful as always a still one of the best comics on the stands.

Island #4 was...adequate. I liked it enough, bloody adored A Land Called Tarot, but other than that I found it a sub par issue for a great series. Gantz vol.37 concludes the excellent sci-fi saga and I shall miss it, even if it did go batshit insane in the last dozen issues! Spread #11 is also pretty niffty onc again but not a series highlight.

Savage Dragon #208 is brutal as all hell. Seriously, their where a few character deaths in here I was not expecting, and proves once again Larsen is not afraid to shake the roster up a little. Mike Allreds new series Art Ops #1 very nearly nabbs comic of the week, with a superb blend of surrealism and inteuige, action and comedy it's one i'll be keeping my eye on.

Comic of the week however, goes to Wild End The Enemy Within #2. Dabnett and INJ have it down to a fine arts at this point, with some superb character pieces (Fawkes is, as ever, a delight to read), quite stuning art and just the right shot of anthropomorphism to keep anyone happy. Truely wonderful comics, just superb.