Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

And due to the absence of a modification button, that Dayglo title was Last Gang in Town #3.

Three weeks without emptying your longbox, Colin?! Good lord it must be a wee but cramped by now...

Colin YNWA

The Space Centre brings all the comics to the yard
I've read them and they're better than yours
Damn right they're better than yours
You can buy them too
But they'd have to charge

You know what I don't think there was a bad one amongst my latest haul. Really.

The biggest problem is with Invisible Republic 9 and that problem is me. The delays mean I'm struggling to keep up with what I hope is some intrigate plotting, specifically in the past section. The telling thing is that I'm still enjoying it enough to what to re-read it rather than give up.

I guess the only other thing is Cry Havok 2 hasn't quite got me yet. its very close and this one I enjoyed much more, in fact I enjoyed it a lot and I'm pretty confident this will get past the 3 issue test. Which the Goddamned 3 did with flying colours, earthy, grim and fantastic.

Both my Marvel comics passed the 3 issue test last month and this month both show why, Hercules 4 and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 4 just great fun mainstream comics. I worry neither will last if rumours are to be believed and both a shame, but alas no surprise.

11th Doctor Who Season 2 6 - see I hate River on the telly, this is so good Who that I loved her here. Best Who in any medium for an age. Nowhere Men 8 was only a steady issue for this series, that still makes it better than 92% of comics out there. Unfollow 5 proves that you should be following this series as its aces. Johnny Red 5, should have kept the aces superlative for this really shouldn't I. The Maxx 28 does what might otherwise have been a tired Alice In Wonderland pastiche thing, tired in any other comic, but not The Maxx which as with anything it does, does it with more mind melting style and class than any other could. The Spirit 8 shows just how much this team gets The Spirit without being slavish, just Eisneresque which is about as good a compliment as I can give.

Comic of the Haul though isn't one of mine. I bought The Pirates of Pangaea from 'The Phoenix' for my daughter and read the first chapter on the bus on the way home to my son CHRIST this is good. So much so in fact I'm considering getting a sub to The Phoenix to read to my kids!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 March, 2016, 07:46:10 PM
Comic of the Haul though isn't one of mine. I bought The Pirates of Pangaea from 'The Phoenix' for my daughter and read the first chapter on the bus on the way home to my son CHRIST this is good. So much so in fact I'm considering getting a sub to The Phoenix to read to my kids!
Ooohhh, nice shout out! Been wanting to check out some stuff from The Phoenix for a bit but my 'to buy' pile is already waaaay too much for me to handle! I might have to check this out though, if it's the Valley of Gwangi come Pirates of the Caribean title i'm thinking of.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 March, 2016, 10:15:52 AM
Ooohhh, nice shout out! Been wanting to check out some stuff from The Phoenix for a bit but my 'to buy' pile is already waaaay too much for me to handle! I might have to check this out though, if it's the Valley of Gwangi come Pirates of the Caribean title i'm thinking of.

That's the feel. It is what it is a kids adventure story but its a very well crafted one.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 March, 2016, 11:17:01 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 March, 2016, 10:15:52 AM

That's the feel. It is what it is a kids adventure story but its a very well crafted one.
Do you think it would go down well with kids who devoured Bone and Lumberjanes, because i've three kids suffering from comic book withdrawal syndrome and i'm out of recommendations!

Colin YNWA

Hawkmumbler

Hey, do you want to listen to me waffle just a little less this week? Good, because i've a rather slim pull this week.

Head Lopper #3 was an unexpected treat, the quarterly sword and sorcery comedy is utterly fantastic stuff and a classic mini in the making, utterly gorgeous to look at and smarter than you could ever give it credit for, and the higher page count make's it's 3 monthly gaps worth the wait. It's just good fun. Savage Dragon #212 is also jolly good as usual, with joyous and gratoutus dollops of crazy it's a comic book fan's love letter to cape comics.

Weekly Shonen Jump #14 has it's trials and tribulations. Food Wars! went 46 weeks without fanservice (I know I was fuckin' counting!) so wasn't the best chapter of late. Toriko seem's to be steam rollering itself to some sort of conclusion and it's going to be a heck of a ride re-reading the entire series once that day comes. And My Hero Academia is once again an utter delight, as the ensemble of Class-A rally against Vanguard Squad and the lone Nomu. Utterly brutal at times, often hilarious MHA is everything I love about comics.

As, for that matter, is Kennel Block Blues #2. As mystifying as it is enthralling, a genre bending mind trip it most certainly is. Utterly unique and a breath if fresh air, I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to get my dose of mind fuck once Maxx finished, I believe Kennel Block Blues will fill the void just nicely.

Proudhuff

A nice wee haul for myself today:

Starve
Crossed 100
Judge Dredd IDW 3 (against my better judgement)
War Stories Send a Gunboat 2
9th Wave  Hunted
and Dr Who 11th, year two, no6.

Only managed crossed 100 so far... thinking of keeping the rest in case the Megazine doesn't turn up tmw...
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Hows Starve going you where raving about it in the new(ish) Brian Wood thread when it start but you gone all quiet since then. Still brill?

The Adventurer

Because my buying schedule has been wonky lately, I present, Comics I Happened to Read This Week

No Mercy vol.1 (Image) - The latest issue was spotlighted on Comixology, which made me realize it was drawn by one of my favorite comic creators, Clara Speed McNeil (Finder). Which lead me to realize I have the first trade from a Humble Bundle. It's about a bunch of privileged Americans going down to South America for charity work, only to end up off the road and in mortal danger.  Not bad, looked great. But I was hoping for something more wild, like Drifting Classroom or No Man's World. Instead it was more mundane with Coyotes, drug dealers, and each other. Probably won't follow up.
The Autumlands 9 (Image) - Series remains excellent. Busik is a treasure.
Surviving Megalopolis 2 (Dark Horse) - I enjoyed the (Kickstarter backed) original graphic novel this mini series picked up from, but this series isn't quite clicking with me.
Platinum End 5 (Viz) - Seems to drunkenly weave back and forth between believable scenarios of human depression, and overly complicated maneuvering of character power player. It's good, but it's starting to feel more like the parts of Deathnote I hated.
Retroworld vol.1 (Humanoids) - Was on sale on Comixology. Competently written and drawn sci-fi. Honestly would be at home in 2000AD. But at the same time kind of predictable and plain sort of scifi adventure. It's name is far cooler then it's world building delivers.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 12 March, 2016, 08:22:37 PM
The Autumlands 9 (Image) - Series remains excellent. Busik is a treasure. .
Platinum End 5 (Viz) - Seems to drunkenly weave back and forth between believable scenarios of human depression, and overly complicated maneuvering of character power player. It's good, but it's starting to feel more like the parts of Deathnote I hated.

Autumlands first trade is out their now I believe and I must really get around to reading it as it looks damn fine. Should also scratch that itch that I have after Wilds End and Blacksad enter hiatuses.

And Platinums End sounds like my worst fears realised, Obata's phenomenal art sadly dressing up Ohba's assinine writing thats so pretentious it make's Sandman look like a Marvel-Team Up story.

Hawkmumbler

Well I WAS going to get the Maxx HC's, collecting 4 issues a piece. Instead you can now buy 12 issue paperbacks with new art on the covers. Nice!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1631405551/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Colin YNWA

Hawkmumbler

Between the digital and physical TPB's, yeah. Never got around to actually buying the HC's and this is much more cost effective. And at 12 issues per TPB it sort of confirms my assumptions that the third one will include Friend of Maxx, GAY Comics #9 and Gen13/Maxx. So thats nice.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 15 March, 2016, 09:41:15 PM
And at 12 issues per TPB it sort of confirms my assumptions that the third one will include Friend of Maxx, GAY Comics #9 and Gen13/Maxx. So thats nice.

Well I recognise most the words but that makes no sense to me. I'm guessing those are all 'bonus' extra Maxx type stuff? All sounds very interesting.