Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Yeah, Friends of Maxx was a 3 issue mini series focusing on side characters. Maxx is absent from these issues, Gay comics #9 (was it? I have it kicking around somewhere let me find it....) was a story about Sarah exploring her sexuality and Gen13/Maxx is...well, a crossover. The only reason I assume it'll be added is despite Kieth not illustrating it he scripted the thing and it'll flesh out volume 3 (vol.1 #1-12, vol.2 #13-#25, vol.3 #26-#35 + extras).

It'd be nice to have a complete set of Maxx stories in three volumes, is all...

Hawkmumbler

It's nice when you get a small dose of comics but with the potency of a shot of vodka, so your belly feels....OK, bad analogy. What i'm trying to say is despite only coming home with 4 comics this week they where all A+ quality so can't pick a comic of the week this time i'm afraid.

I've just finished boring ya'll to death about Maxx continuity (continuity get's me excited, OK?!) so with that it come's as no surprise I lapped up Maxx #29 with great relish. As Colin said these last two issues have gone down well trodden paths, but Sam Kieth deal's with them so refreshingly, so absurdedly, so completely and wholly originally...that it's actually rather exhausting. I can only take so much angst before my heart give's out, Kieth! Please let these poor bastards have a happy ending!

Usagi Yojimbo #153 is another kind of excellent, and it's potency lies in it's consistancy. Month in month out Stan Sakai is forging wholey ingenius one and done tales, that kind of ongoing story telling must wear a writer out after over 30 years of writing, right? Wrong, often the best ways to keep building ahead is to take several steps back and in this issue Stan brings back a plot point from waaaay back in Fantagraphics Usagi #3, the kappa marsh monsters. A quite brilliant way to show hiw far the series has come in three decades, and i'm happy to read for as long as Stan will have us. Usagi Yojimbo is, quite frankly, just bloody good comics.

Now here's an interesting thing, I recently nabbed "The New Spirit" trade, collecting mini series and one-shots about the character from the like's of Moore, Cook, Gibbson and Miller. So why is it that, as fun as it was, Matt Wagner just GET'S the character of The Spirit so much more than his contemporaries? Is it because he's teamed with an artist whise clearly of Eisner schooling? Is it because he's proven constantly he's a master of the noir, Grendal and The Spirit namely? Is it because...it's less of a 'oh look how much I respected Eisner read my other books*' pretentious slog? Probably all these things, but The Spirit #9 is just bloody good comics, bloody entertaining stuff and all around just what I needed to bet me into the characters back catalogue.

Finally Weekly Shonen Jump #15. WELL! On second thoughts My Hero Academia might just be my favourite comic of the week. What a pulse pounding, head banging, heart sinking conclusion to the vanguard squad arc. Everything from the return of the clone Dabi, the utterly desperate grapple to save Tokoyami and Bakugo, the arrivle of Nomu and Black Mist, and that one, cowardly character you never put much stock into finally stepping up to the plate and doing 'a punch the air awesome' moment. All for to no avail. Bloody tragic and insane and awesome all at the same time. That being said, this weeks One-Ounch Man was also very much a classic underdog tale, and as much as i've enjoyed the Metal Bat story it'll be nice to see the story shift back towards Saitama.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 March, 2016, 07:24:06 PM
Hows Starve going you where raving about it in the new(ish) Brian Wood thread when it start but you gone all quiet since then. Still brill?

I think so :D moving into Jamie Oliver territory now, but still very Brain Wood if you know what I mean.

Confused myself by reading Injection, Rivers of London and Ninth Wave in one sitting

Injection being something that I think could sit in the magazine easily,
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 March, 2016, 07:46:10 PM
I guess the only other thing is Cry Havok 2 hasn't quite got me yet. its very close and this one I enjoyed much more, in fact I enjoyed it a lot and I'm pretty confident this will get past the 3 issue test.
I've been enjoying this from the start. They seem to be making a bit much about the use of different colourists given that the effect is basically the same as the one Frazer Irving managed all by himself on From Grace.

Hardly anything new for me the last few weeks. Getting a bit antsy about the delays to the latest issue of The Spire.

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 March, 2016, 11:24:46 AM
Injection being something that I think could sit in the magazine easily.
Oh. Don't tell me somebody's jumping on the "pissing blood into a guy's mouth" bandwagon
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 March, 2016, 12:47:02 PM

Hardly anything new for me the last few weeks. Getting a bit antsy about the delays to the latest issue of The Spire.

According to my LCSs comics out next week list it will be out Wedesday.

Colin YNWA

Well another day and more comics, so why not share, why not indeed.

Black Canary 9 was alas a fill-in, not a bad fill in at all but all the same a fill-in, slipping back to the Band touring idea of the first arch which much as I missed that idea has gone now. Do yeah okay stuff.

As is War Stories 17. The ongoing War Stories series has been a bit hit and miss (well the art has largely been miss alas) and this arc isn't grabbing me. Not sure how long I'll be sticking around. The Massive Ninth Wave 4 is part of another hit and miss series it would seem. This issue is stronger than the last but not up to the quality of the first 2. Kennel Block Blues 2 is also not quite as good as issue . I suspect that's only cos we have issue 1, which was so mind meltingly fresh and different that the fact it existed means the wonderful stuff in subsequent issues will never quite feel the same. This is brilliant stuff and I reckon by the end if the run and on re-read it will all be as good as the rest. We'll see. James Bond 5 is the first dip in what has been so far a consistantly good series. Mainly because where as Warren Ellis and Jason Masters have delivered some of the best choreographed and visceral fights I can remember in comics. Here I just didn't get what was what and actually I'm still convinced there's a page missing before the end. I mean she had him banged to rights and then... what happened there?

So books of the haul are to old consistent reliables The Spirit 9 and The Maxx 29 both just majestic comics.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 March, 2016, 09:16:16 PM
Kennel Block Blues 2 is also not quite as good as issue . I suspect that's only cos we have issue 1, which was so mind meltingly fresh and different that the fact it existed means the wonderful stuff in subsequent issues will never quite feel the same. This is brilliant stuff and I reckon by the end if the run and on re-read it will all be as good as the rest. We'll see.
Now see, I think it's been consistently excellent across the two issues published thus far, a real genre mash up and a glorious comic all round. How many issues was it solicited to run for though? 6 seem's the appropriate running time and a given for Boom! minis.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 March, 2016, 10:41:44 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 March, 2016, 09:16:16 PM
Kennel Block Blues 2 is also not quite as good as issue . I suspect that's only cos we have issue 1, which was so mind meltingly fresh and different that the fact it existed means the wonderful stuff in subsequent issues will never quite feel the same. This is brilliant stuff and I reckon by the end if the run and on re-read it will all be as good as the rest. We'll see.
Now see, I think it's been consistently excellent across the two issues published thus far, a real genre mash up and a glorious comic all round. How many issues was it solicited to run for though? 6 seem's the appropriate running time and a given for Boom! minis.

Alas only 4. Be interesting to see if it leaves itself in a position to do more. Boom! clearly have great faith in it given how much they pushed it.

The Adventurer

Comics I read this last week....

Boah Vol. 1 & 2 (Viz Media) - One of Hirohiko Araki's earlier works before Jojo's Bizzarre Adventure, I discovered it mostly by accident as I was playing the Jojo All Star Battle video game as one of the unlock able secret characters is Boah. A quick Google search lead me to a decent quality version of the long OOP Viz release from the mid 90s. It was pretty good, reminded me of a Shotaro Ishinomori comic, with its titular hero being warped by a neferious organization and then breaking free only to be hounded while on the run. Short and sweet.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Battle Tendency Book 4 (Viz Media) - Conclusion to Battle Tendency. I felt this volume was a bit cramped with the conclusions to the fights with the pillar men. And personal favorite character Lisa Lisa getting damseled way too easily. But the fate of Kars was rather unique and creative. Now, finally I'll find out what all the hub bub is about Stardust Crusaders.
Circuit Breaker 1 (Image) - Kyle Baker's lastest. This time about a robot girl fighting rebellious robots in a post war world. As you might expect it wears its Astro Boy influences on its sleeve with no apologies. That said, it's got a slight preachiness too it (almost Pat Mills like) that I fear will start the grate over time. We'll see.
Usagi Yojimbo 152 (Dark Horse) - An excellent story that is different then the usual.  But did Usagi just die randomly off panel? Probably not, but still it ends kinda weird.
Plutona 3 (Image) - Not sure why I haven't stayed up on this series more solidly, it's not exactly great even if it has an interesting idea (Stand By Me, only the dead body is a super-hero). I'm just glad it's only 4 issues. I don't think it can sustain much more.
2000 AD 1970 - 1973 (Rebellion) - Just generally catching up. Legit shocked The Order ended so cleanly, I expected it to have gone baddly in this 2nd run to set up bigger stakes in the 3rd.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 March, 2016, 06:23:29 PM

Circuit Breaker 1 (Image) - Kyle Baker's lastest. This time about a robot girl fighting rebellious robots in a post war world. As you might expect it wears its Astro Boy influences on its sleeve with no apologies. That said, it's got a slight preachiness too it (almost Pat Mills like) that I fear will start the grate over time. We'll see.

Hold on how has this one passed my comics sense by. Is it ongoing, maybe I rejected it as it was a mini? Love me a bit of Kyle Baker and have fully been intending more than the bit I've read.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 26 March, 2016, 07:12:00 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 March, 2016, 06:23:29 PM

Hold on how has this one passed my comics sense by. Is it ongoing, maybe I rejected it as it was a mini? Love me a bit of Kyle Baker and have fully been intending more than the bit I've read.
Now see I did see the solicitations for this, but never knew weather to buy into it or not. I mean, the premise looks right up my street, it's basically Astro Boy, but i've never read anything to my knowledge that had Kyle Bakers name on it...

The Adventurer

Baker did a well regarded Plastic Man series a while back, and the much less well regarded Captain America Truth series. For the most part he straddles the line between indie and mainstream, dipping back and forth as he pleases. He's got a mountain of semi obscure one-offs and original graphic novels under his belt.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Its the Plastic Man run I know him for and its brilliant. I've read a few bits and bobs elsewhere to, all very good and I loved his inking on numerous Marvel comics (primarily) back in the day, but never got around to 'Why I Hate Saturn' which is meant to be superb.

As for Circuit Breaker I see its a mini not written by him so I figure that's why I skipped past it.

Hawkmumbler

Well, my total ignorance of Kyle Bakers seemingly omnipotent presence in the industry not withstanding, I got some pretty neat comics this week.

Kicked off with a double dose of Doctor Who goodness and both utterly superb and brilliant in there own ways. Resident droid Emma Beeby is let loose on The 4th Doctor #1 and it's quite, quite excellent. The asthetic nature of the strip feels very Philip Hinchcliffe esque, and the creative team have clearly spent some time pouring over The Talons of Weng Chiang and The Deadly Assassin to get this down to a T. The 11th Doctor s.2 #7 is,monce again, top hole science fiction and one of the best representations of the series around right now. What a great time to be a Whovian!

Art Ops #6 see's a change of artist and my continuing frustration and misguided character handling and general lack of investment see's that this once great series has quickly jumped the shark and is narrowly avoiding the chopping board. One more issue to decide if it improves much. Rufus Dayglo, on the other hand, remains a staunch example of how to write and illustrate your own book. Last Gang in Town #4 is another brilliant issue giving much insight into punk rock and new wave movement of the north west over the last 30 years and it's a real joy to read. Such brilliant comics and one most squaxx will deffinelty enjoy.

Elsewhere both Cry Havoc #3 and Nowhere Men #9 are bloody fantastic instalments in consitantly brilliant series, hopefully we'll see both stick around for sometime, however I gather Nowhere Men will go back on hiatus before long, such is it's nature but I sure hope not. Cry Haoc is pure Spurrier briliance and would be most welcome in 2000AD come to think of it, it's just classic comics. Badger #2 is also another brilliant yarn and is pretty much living up to my expectations to the letter, a barmy and slightly delirious comic by the mighty writer behind Nexus, this is just excellent stuff also.

Weekly Shonen Jump #16 is once again a brilliant anthology, with Toriko and World Trigger being the standouts this week. Somewhat dissapointed we've not heard if Kimetsu No Yaiba is returning for weekly publication yet, but in time i'm sure it'll happen.

Hawkmumbler

Added to this my tour of the Image Superhero universe has brought me to Jay Faerbers titles, pushed ahead of Allred's Madman and the Kirkman Invincible spin-offs simply due to my love for Copperhead, so over the last week I bought...

-Noble Causes Archives vol.1 and 2
-Dynamo 5 vol.1 and 2
-The Complete Anti-Hero

Let's hope these live up to Faerbers pedigree and their reputation.