Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Well it's been a good while since I did one of these! But my haul is so big (snicker giggle) i'll have to post a second half in the morrow!

Kicking each week off in typical fashion has been that work horse of my pull list, Weekly Shonen Jump #22/23/24 and it's been a glorious month actually! My Hero Academia is going all out and...you know, sod it, it gets comic of the month because gosh dang it it's that perfect balance of fun and ballsy character balancing with some genuin heart in mouth moments. Naruto came back and was...OK, it's monthly now so i'm going to see how this turns out before hating on it! Oh, and a new series called Daily Demon Diary started on monday and it's....fucking wierd! Not sure if I like it or not TBH!

Next came the much welcome return of Beasts of Burden with Look What the Cat Dragged In. I love me some BoB, ever since I nabbed the TPB some years ago i've eager for more (that Hellboy team up was not enough!) so for those unfamiliar, BoB is basically Sleepy Hollow crossed with Famous Five but with two cats, a husky, a german shepherd and a pug investigating strange going on in their local parrish. It's awesome! Following on from that was The Maxx #31 which is fullfiling it's final act as the entire series has been until death, bizarre as all hell and utterly delightful.

Just as good as it was before is Predator Life and Death #3, that DABnett can't half write a perfect thriller and this is filling the whole left behind in my heart for Wilds End just dandy. More licensed comics like this please, and the same goes for Doctor Who 11th #9. It's classic sci-fi, and utterly brilliant. Kind of makes you wonder what goes through Moffets head when he writes twaddle, when we could have the 2000AD family write Doctor Who more eloquantly. Next up was Dept H #2 which lost none of it's lustre from the first issue, it's a cracking subnautical horror adventure and is perfectly setting it's cast up for many terrors to come!

And finally for the time being, two things. 1) If your not buying Usagi Yojimbo #154, what is wrong with you because it's bloody cracking. And 2) Zodiac Star Force. Look past the pastel colours and cutesy art style, what lies beneath is a dark and vast sci-fi epic. Probably ine of the best TPB's i'll read this year!

The Adventurer

My pulls for this week are Invincible 128, Spawn 263, and Future Quest 1,

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Very much looking forward to Future Quest 1. While I don't really know the characters the creative teams run on Flash Gordon, apart from being too short was near perfect fun comics.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 12 May, 2016, 06:50:34 PM
I often forget my ravenous hunger for comics, as over the last three or four days I've read...

4 volumes of Ennis's The Boys

Did you finish it yet Adventurer?
It was something I just couldn't put down either.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 18 May, 2016, 09:53:42 PM
My pulls for this week are Invincible 128, Spawn 263, and Future Quest 1,
Ditto, but still need to read Future Quest and Spawn.

Invincible though, woof, what an issue!

The Adventurer

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 May, 2016, 10:01:29 PM
Quote from: The Adventurer on 12 May, 2016, 06:50:34 PM
I often forget my ravenous hunger for comics, as over the last three or four days I've read...

4 volumes of Ennis's The Boys

Did you finish it yet Adventurer?
It was something I just couldn't put down either.

Waiting for payday.

Colin YNWA

So the joys of working in 'town' are baring fruit. Got my haul Thursday lunch and have meandered through it over the last couple of evenings. Bit of a mixed bunch.

Ninth Wave 6 ends this inconsistant series, alas it ends it on a low. Like one previous issue its trite and simple. Christ it even ends on the line "You're a bully. Bullies are always cowards." Doctor Who 11th 2nd 9th is a low for this normally excellent series. Firstly the art but as a story it felt like its pedalling this month.

Everything else ranges from good to great. J Bone takes over the art on Rocketeer at War 3 and just in time for it to become a real romp. Enough to make me forget the eye watering $4.99 price tag. Judge Dredd 5 is a great fish out of water comic, once you get past it being a different Dredd I'm enjoying this as much as anything IDW have done with their character. Kennel Block Blues 4 concludes the series and I'm really looking forward to reading it all in one go, I think it has much to offer. Mind Badger 4 is the only one to offer the titular hero fighting Valamir Putin - no really its that much fun. Then s the only comic that offers... well if I listed all the things that make The Maxx unique I'd... well I'd whitter more than normal.

Top of the pile well Black Road 2 lifts the new series to a whole new level already, bloomin' great. Best comics is probably Future Quest 1 a supreme opening, that's a fun riot, sets up perfectly and lived up to my high expectations. Book of the haul, though not the best is the most pleasent surprise, I was half expecting to drop Island after 7 but it did it, it cracked it. I loved everything in it AND its moving the unfinished stuff on with another series coming back next time. Has this series which has such potential found its feet. Only time will tell but I'm happy I really think it might for the first time.

Link Prime

[/quote]

Waiting for payday.
[/quote]

Cha Ching.

Just read today that Ennis is teaming back up with Russ Braun for a Six Pack / Dog Welder mini-series, unexpected, but very welcome.

The Adventurer

Yeah, I've got them now. I'll be polishing that off over the next... week?

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 May, 2016, 03:09:36 AM

Maybe by the time it takes me to type this?  :D

Colin YNWA

Doing a bit of sorting out what I can expect in my standing order over the next few months it turns out The Spirit is finishing with issue 12. Always kinda suspected this would be the case but its a shame sales didn't justify it sticking around longer.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 22 May, 2016, 11:33:38 AM
Doing a bit of sorting out what I can expect in my standing order over the next few months it turns out The Spirit is finishing with issue 12. Always kinda suspected this would be the case but its a shame sales didn't justify it sticking around longer.
Arse! Wagner had this down to a T, gutting to see it leave us!

The Adventurer

Quote from: Link Prime on 22 May, 2016, 03:13:26 AM

Done. Overall, it was okay. Worth reading. But I felt it got a bit bloated by the end, lots of talking heads. I think it just took too long to get to the payoff. Also, Ennis can sure bang on about the military-industrial complex.

Probably should give Preacher a chance at some point...

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 25 May, 2016, 06:52:06 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 22 May, 2016, 03:13:26 AM

Done. Overall, it was okay. Worth reading. But I felt it got a bit bloated by the end, lots of talking heads. I think it just took too long to get to the payoff. Also, Ennis can sure bang on about the military-industrial complex.

Probably should give Preacher a chance at some point...

You definitely should- I absolutely loved it, but haven't read it since it was originally published.

I take your point regarding the probably-too-long build up to the payoff in The Boys- but I wasn't disappointed in it's execution.

The Monarch

So scooby apocalypse....pretty darn good

I know i am shocked too