Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Yeah I look forward to reading many, many comics, few more so than The Maxx. I really wonder what places it will take me next time I read it and don't doubt it will offer something new each time I do.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 June, 2016, 11:34:09 AM
Next was Doctor Who 11th v.2 #10 which continues to be perfect sci-fi comics and perfect Doctor Who. I do hope the rumours of a creative geam shake up for the next story line isn't true because it might force me to drop the book.

It will be a real shame if they do. But I'll wait to see who comes along. The 11th Doc team has been great from the start.

Colin YNWA

I finished reading my comics last night BUT a 4 year's vomit the night before meant I was too tired to write them up here. Should I let the illness of my son come between us... no of course not. I'm a little more rested and ready to make you listen. LISTEN. LISTENNNNNNNN.

The Spire 8 concludes this series and its already on my re-read list, I need to do that before making a judgement as to be honest I've not engaged with this in the way I have other Spurrioso works BUT its always had an undercurrent that's strongly suggested I've find what I'm missing on re-read.

Another conclusion is found in Black Canary 12 and its a pretty bloomin' fine one. This one gets a re-read (though a bit further down the line.

Klaus 6 isn't the end, I almost wish it was as I'm hangin' in there hoping that this one works better on re-read as its been a bit flat. Unlike Invisible Republic 10 which I'm delighted is continuning after this second arc. This a a great, if dense series. Similar while Doc Who 11th 2nd 10 isn't an ending but feels a little like its turned a corner and is heading towards one, one I'm very much looking forward to cos this series is Who at its best. Lazarus 22 is actually a new beginning of this superb series after a bit of a hiatus. Its a bit of a recap bringing us all back to speed, but its anything put steady throwing all sorts of fisty cuffs and shootie shootie to keep us on our toes. Nice stuff. Hip Hop Family Tree 10 continues this stunningly consistent series.

Best of the bunch The Maxx 32 which is always stunning as Hawkieface says its great and The Island 8 which has finally become the comic I always wanted it to be. Its finishing its ongoing storylines and has some brilliantly innovative one offs. Mostly Saturn is devine.

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 June, 2016, 08:01:53 PM

Klaus 6 isn't the end, I almost wish it was as I'm hangin' in there hoping that this one works better on re-read as its been a bit flat.

You've lasted longer than me, I bailed out after #2. The first and only Grant Morrison comic I'd ever describe as outright dull.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 20 June, 2016, 09:05:18 PM

Klaus 6 isn't the end, I almost wish it was as I'm hangin' in there hoping that this one works better on re-read as its been a bit flat.

You've lasted longer than me, I bailed out after #2. The first and only Grant Morrison comic I'd ever describe as outright dull.

Yeah which is why I've kept going perversely. I'm just assuming I'm missing something and at some point something will click and I'll be all like "Oh I see, this is genius"... one issue to go and anyway complete series sell better on eBay!

Fungus

Bailed after Klaus 1, feeling vindicated  :)

On dropped titles, picked up issues 1-3 of Moon Knight the other day. Let down badly there, despite very promising art & Jeff LeMire. It falls... flat. Of course, it may be I was in a funny mood. That happens... :|

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 20 June, 2016, 09:10:02 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 20 June, 2016, 09:05:18 PM
Yeah which is why I've kept going perversely. I'm just assuming I'm missing something and at some point something will click and I'll be all like "Oh I see, this is genius"... one issue to go and anyway complete series sell better on eBay!
I don't think you're missing anything extraordinary here but I'm still enjoying it. It's certainly not his best but frothy Morrison-lite is still pretty fun in my book.

The Spire, on the other hand, has been Spurrier at his absolute best. I'm not sure if there's not too much revelation packed into the last issue but I'd rather have something dense like this to get my teeth into on a reread than no substance at all. Stokely's art also packs in a level of detail which rewards closer study. And I don't think I've fancied a cartoon character as much as Meera since the glory days of Tyranny Rex!
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

I found myself buying Wacky Raceland 1 off of eBay this evening... what's happening to me?

Hawkmumbler

Well I found myself hauling home a somewhat small comic list this last week. But still very exceptional all the same!

Dept H #3 is turning out to be the submersible horror series i've been crowing over for years! Like The Abyss before it, it envelops itself in atmosphere and embraces the simultaneous claustrophobia and unrelenting vertigo that comes with suspended diving. It's dangerous work, and the addition of a mythology akin to Dept. Of Monsterology, this is a win/win comic.

I followed this up with Cry Havoc #6, and it's SiSpurrier doing what he does best, great world building through great character intruige. A rather remarkable comic. Next up was Invincible #129 which is a solid gold issue, with a cracking stinger at the end harcking back to the series most controversial (read SHIT) issue. It's still bloody good stuff, and did I mention Cory Walker is a god?

Weekly Shonen Jump #28 and #29 is ALL (Might) about the My Hero Academia. Heart wrenching, painful, awe inspiring and phenomenal. It's a real modern classic in the making, who say's cape comics can't pack emotional punch? Thank god for One-Punch Man special brand of humour that lightens the tone somewhat, and with a hilarious sequence on every page. Bless the Jump!

Finally is Usagi Yojimbo #155. I have nothing much to say really, it's a standard issue of Usagi. And uet somehow it still manages to be comic of the week. What a truly superb comic in every single way.

Colin YNWA

So got Wacky Races 1 as I said earlier and it was kinda stupid silly crazy fun. It commited that crime that the TV show so often did of not giving enough air time to my favourites the Slag Brothers (maybe there's not much to do with the characters?). I have no idea if it was a good comic or not and at times the storytelling was pretty messy and confusd, though to be fair this added to the whole atmosphere of the comic.

Overall I'll defo be back for more though as it was pretty intriguing and just the right side of crazy. What's become of me I'm now getting two of the Hanna Barbera comics and enjoying them both... is my brain melting?

Fungus

Descender 12 is a nice kick-off to volume 3, a series that rarely lets me down. For some reason being locked in a cupboard for months appealed to me. That's storytelling.

East of West 26 continues in its mad politicking gross-out way, it reads so quickly too. Really made for trade reading though, month-on-month the set of characters on display can be a handful to place.

The Discipline 4 is descending into fighty-fighty - compared to its earlier episodes - but the art is the star. A Risso knock-off, Fernandez has designed some lovely panels. On my pile of shame I have their earlier Names, yet to be read. The art didn't appeal greatly but I'm over that now - it's grand.

Pencil Head 5 finishes up, and it's pretty self-indulgent stuff. For McKeever fans only :-\ Fine...

Providence 9 is sublime, I love Moore's latest more with every issue. Even the art has won me over, I can see now it's perfect for this.

In other news, also loving Sheriff of Babylon, Tokyo Ghost and The Vision at the moment. Rich pickings...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Fungus on 29 June, 2016, 02:13:59 PM

East of West 26 continues in its mad politicking gross-out way, it reads so quickly too. Really made for trade reading though, month-on-month the set of characters on display can be a handful to place.

I left this series behind at issue 10 (ish) as I couldn't find a character to really engage me. It always catches my eye when I see it though. Is it still all "mad politicking" and 4 horse level stuff or has it found a way to become grounded?

Hawkmumbler

Descender 12 is a nice kick-off to volume 3, a series that rarely lets me down. For some reason being locked in a cupboard for months appealed to me. That's storytelling.
I picked up the first issue of this but it fell victim very early on to a shortness of change.

I MIGHT have to go back and pick up the trades...

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 29 June, 2016, 02:20:02 PM
I left this series behind at issue 10 (ish) as I couldn't find a character to really engage me. It always catches my eye when I see it though. Is it still all "mad politicking" and 4 horse level stuff or has it found a way to become grounded?
For some reason I never get round to mentioning the stuff I read in trade in this thread but I love East of West. The most recent collection was a bit slower but it needs to shift a few things into place for the next round of high concept lunacy.

I really couldn't say it has either of those things you ask for Colin but, to me, that lack of grounding is at least part of the appeal. Unless you count the doomed romance between a couple of Native American totem spirits. I love that almost every character is a scheming, dishonest asshole. Which is especially weird as that's exactly what I dislike about stuff like Scalped or Goodfellas. Maybe it's the distance from reality which makes it fun rather than unpleasant.

Another triumphant hit for Image's Humble Bundle policy. It deserves that most prized and most cliched (at least round here) of accolades: it feels very 2000AD.

Unfortunately, I can never just be happy about something though so, in contrast, the first volume of Hickman's Manhattan Projects was in the same bundle and it was dreadful.
We never really die.

Fungus

Cosh pretty much spoke for me there; I don't like anyone in East of West much but the scheming stylish nastiness is glorious fun.

Curiously, I also gave Manhattan Projects vol. 1 a try recently - it was in the library, a no-brainer - and it didn't click for me. I admire Hickman's ambition, even if it sometime misses the mark.

JamesC

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 29 June, 2016, 02:22:24 PM
I picked up the first issue of this but it fell victim very early on to a shortness of change.

I MIGHT have to go back and pick up the trades...

I bought the first trade and found it really boring. The art didn't help - I thought the design was really unimaginative.