Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Black Hammer is a surprisingly good.Well,consistently good at this point.

Smith

Colin YNWA

Well whoops, sorry for bigging it up. I felt pretty bad about buying it myself, given Dave's views of the world these days, to have then encouraged others to buy it ain't cool...

TordelBack

Not at all Colin: I love Dave (as he appears in print) like an old friend, albeit like one who reads the Daily Mail even after the Lego promotions have ended, and I love unpicking his world view.  I was pleased you made me think twice so that I was able to support him in a new venture by buying his comic, just as I always have, and pleased that I could make the (current) decision not to buy any more of it from an informed standpoint, rather than being That Guy.

It's not that egregious a thing, the background engravings are stunning, there is a pleasure to hear the little grey bastard ranting again, and the few good gags were good gags.  And it's not like Dave hasn't been a right-wing loon for decades now.  This just doesn't feel like an essential enough, or funny enough read to justify what I imagine Dave sees as his ageing enfant terrible sniping against the complacent establishment of Generation Snowflake, which these days just feels like every single comment thread and 60% of all social media. To me he now comes off as an intellectual version of Frank Cho, ha-ha look at me, I'm saying things that are forbidden by the PC police, but deep down you all know I'm right!

As Melvin Udall says: sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Colin YNWA

This bit should go into the 'Whats everybody reading' thread but I naively hope that we will get more Mudman one day. I was a little shocked when I pulled out the first six issues for a re-read to be reminded that its almost 4 years since we've had any.

Which is such a shame as Paul Grist's comic is brilliant. Simply brilliant. Its Spider-man revisited for the 21st Century, if he was born in a small UK seaside town meets Grange Hill and he had rubbish mud powers... now why this book didn't sell in big numbers escapes me.

It is truly great comics and I really hope that we do get more, but alas Mr Grist has been saying we will for an age now and nowt has turned up so, I'm not sure what will, when, if ever. He seems to be working on new Kane as well... hope we get something next year.

Hawkmumbler

Yes, absolutely. Though Mudman never reached the dizzying highest Jack Staff did I put that down to the fact we only have 6 issues of the glorious thing. Wonderful comic.

Smith

Invincible was mostly okay.Im liking Raven so far.
And I should really catch up with Red Team.

Hawkmumbler

To be honest, we're really spoiled for great alternative superhero comics right now, it's just not from the usual suspects. Mudman and Jack Staff can be read on a constant loop until they come out of hiatus, Savage Dragon and Invincible continue to provide consistently high quality issues, Black Hammer is just the damnedest thing, Badger looks like he'll be heading our way again next year, as well as a new Empowered volume. Plus collections of Copra, Henchgirl, Strong Female Protagonist, Gemini, Ultraman, and One-Punch Man heading our way soon.

Oh, and My Hero Academia. Can't emphasis how good this is right now, this weeks issue was basically a break down of multiple personality disorders. Yeah.

Smith

If we are counting superhero-ish manga,we should mention Inuyashiki.Its just off the charts.

The Adventurer

Favorite Super-Hero manga....

Skull Man
Cyborg 009
Getter-Robo
Devilman

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Smith

Hawkmumbler

For the longest time Go Nagai and Ishinomori did have the monopoly on cape manga, yeah. Interestingly both creators seemed keen on a shared universe attitude, hence 009 making appearances in Skullman, and Devilman and Cutie Honey teaming up on occasion.

Oh, and Devilman is something really, REALLY special. I know theres some kind of archive out there for a semi-official translation but what I wouldn't give to have a few big, thick omnibus editions with the colour pages included. Gorgeous!

Link Prime

Quote from: Smith on 17 November, 2016, 06:19:13 AM

Some real buzz about this, I'm sorry I missed the boat.
The first trade is on my 2017 radar.

My pull list has dwindled an awful lot this year, but I'll definetly be picking up the first issue of Snyder & Lemire's 'AD After Death' this coming Wednesday.

Fungus

With Mother Panic #1, I've picked up the 4 Young Animal titles and am very impressed. Such are the short-lived naure of runs recently my list took a dip - these 4 bump things up again.

As mentioned up-thread (this thread?) Shade... took most of the first issue to win me round but the other three Young Animal titles hit the ground running. Highlights are probably Tommy Lee Edwards' unfussy art on Mother Panic and everything about Cave Carson... How to make a bonkers concept engaging.

Good times elsewhere at present too. Of the newish titles, Lake of Fire and Black Hammer are high on my list.

And everything wtitten by Tom King, he's consistently turning in believable comics. Even the superhero stuff.

Greg M.

Quote from: Fungus on 21 November, 2016, 12:06:29 AM
Highlights are probably Tommy Lee Edwards' unfussy art on Mother Panic and everything about Cave Carson... How to make a bonkers concept engaging.

Didn't really like Doom Patrol and Shade didn't do much for me either - not bad or anything, just didn't grab me - but I've found myself enjoying the first couple of issues of Cave Carson. I like the protagonist, I like the Oeming art, and it seems to be going somewhere. That'll do for the moment.