Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Fungus on 10 December, 2016, 01:23:33 AM
Loved A.D. After Death #1,

A dystopian cracker of a comic.

Agreed, probably my single favorite comic of 2016.
A meaty, thought provoking read with beautiful illustration and sequential artwork by Lemire.
This touched an introspective nerve.

Smith

On the subject of catching up; Sixpack and Dogwelder was pretty fun so far.Its cool how Ennis makes fun of his own works.

Theblazeuk

Not 'new' but I borrowed a friend's copies of Fatale and Nameless over the weekend.

Fatale was rather lovely, a great fusion of Noir and Lovecraft. Slightly meta notes about the obsessions seemingly normal men go to over the archetypical Femme Fatale, and the terrible price that said Fatale pays by being the object of obsession and attention. Great artwork, absolutely astounding bad guy and internal mythology (it's ok to crib if you're doing it this well), this is pretty perfect with even the slightly baggy framing narative succeeding thanks to the strength of all the vignettes we flash to throughout the comic. A little whelmed by the ending but the journey was grand.

Nameless was... a mixed bag. Loved the artwork and the story for the five panels it ran cohesively. Overall found the disjointed 'nightmare scape' quite unsatisfying as a narrative. Some times you can portray the freefall away from reality in an effective manner, sometimes you end up caring about none of it because there's nothing really there to hold it together. The lesser of the Cthonic comics in this post.

Also caught up on Lake of Fire. Beautiful comic, think I prefer this to the similarly themed Dark Ages from DAbnett (though that was more Prince of Darkness vs LoFs' Aliens).

Next to catch up on = Sixpack, DogWelder, Unfollow, and more.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 December, 2016, 05:46:11 PM
Nameless was... a mixed bag. Loved the artwork and the story for the five panels it ran cohesively. Overall found the disjointed 'nightmare scape' quite unsatisfying as a narrative. Some times you can portray the freefall away from reality in an effective manner, sometimes you end up caring about none of it because there's nothing really there to hold it together. The lesser of the Cthonic comics in this post.
But ... fishmen waiting for the bus on Great Western Road!
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Yeah Fatal was great. Glad to hear someone else has caught onto the brilliant Lake of Fire too.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Link Prime on 12 December, 2016, 01:55:17 PM
Quote from: Fungus on 10 December, 2016, 01:23:33 AM
Loved A.D. After Death #1,

A dystopian cracker of a comic.

Agreed, probably my single favorite comic of 2016.
A meaty, thought provoking read with beautiful illustration and sequential artwork by Lemire.
This touched an introspective nerve.

Got this yesterday after window browsing a bit intensely. I'd forgotten how much I like Lemire's artwork, and Snyder's showing a different side than what I remember from American Vampire (which I dropped quickly after Stephen King suckered me in). Anywho, AD is beautifully illustrated and packed with subtle storytelling. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Colin YNWA

So Strictly final or comics, Strictly final or comics... well come on it was never in doubt was it. So the evening has been spent reading my haul and overall not too shabby.

War Stories 21 continues to titter on the brink cos of the bloody art all but obsuring what is a cracking story once again. 5

Invisible Republic 13 is great as ever, well except, except I'm finding ita oppressive tone a little flat now. It of course wouldn't suit anything else but its beginning to feel relentless and as if things will never go anywhere. I'll get past this I suspect and maybe a re-read would help but at the moment 7.

Flintstones 6 - okay when you say a comic featuring moth sex, the meloncholly of domestic animal tools and a tight and hilarious pathos about the wrongs of society and the even wrongers of its breakdown is playing it a little safe, you can only be talking about Mark Russell and Steve Pugh's Flintstones. Just for this series it did feel a little muted this time around 8

Flash Gordon - Kings Cross 2 slighty sub-par art from Jesse Hamm is the only thing stopping a story featuring a giant spider made out of undead gorilla gothers not get a higher mark 8

Unfollow 14 beautifully rendered by Pulido a little look back into how love and sex can mess it all up. Fantastic 9

Island 13 massive step up as 90% of this comic contain about 5% of the total words and shows that a picture can indeed be worth a 1000 of them 9

Hillbilly 4 so very very beautiful so simply a story so wonderfully told - it a 10 from Le... I mean Colin

Resident Alien - The Man With No Name 4 what a stunning conclusion as Breaking Bad slams into Northern Exposure via ALF. The gentle tone of this series makes the silent explosion into violence all the more effective and powerful than in lesser tales. Masterful stuff. 10

Colin YNWA

Dagnabbit - had a feeling this might happen and latest trade solicitation seems to confirm that Unfollow will be finishing with issue 18. The info certainly seems conclusive *though I have nothing definitive.

Real shame - if correct -  that this title hasn't found the audience it so richly deserves.

Hawkmumbler

Not many thing will get me to shout "bollocks" at the top of my lungs in the middle of work rush hour. Hearing Unfollow is getting the can is one of them. Gutting.

Colin YNWA

Just be clear nothing confirmed BUT here the solicitation

QuoteUnfollow Vol. 3
Rob Williams
On Sale Date: July 4, 2017
$16.99 USD, $19.99 CAD
144 pages
Trade Paperback
Comics & Graphic Novels / Crime & Mystery
9781401270964, 1401270964
Contributor Bio:
Rob Williams has written for DC Comics, Marvel, Dynamite Entertainment and many others. He is the author of the Vertigo graphic novel THE ROYALS: MASTERS OF WAR as well as the creator-owned series UNFOLLOW. His DC Comics work includes MARTIAN MANHUNTER.
Summary: The mystery concludes here! And so does the battle...
A dying social media mogul leaves his billions to be split evenly between 140 random peopleā€”or however many of them are still alive at the moment of his death. Rob Williams (MARTIAN MANHUNTER, THE ROYALS: MASTERS OF WAR) and Michael Dowling (Death Sentence) assemble a cast of seemingly unrelated individuals in the world who are about to be connected in the most unexpected way.
Collects UNFOLLOW #13-18.

Hawkmumbler

2000AD's best never seem to have much luck at vertigo. First Hinterkind, now Unfollow (as uncertain as it may be at this point).

Fungus

Unfollow always felt like a limited series, it's in the nature of the story. Was curious to find it was running a bit longer than that.
Over a year now since news of its TV adaptation - 'development ' - was reported, too.

Colin YNWA

It was always clearly heading to a defined end but there was so much scope within the 140 to explore different characters and reactions to the situation it had potential to run and run I felt.

Kinda similar to the TV thing had loads of scope which was kinda why I figured it had been picked up. Alas* as you say much like FBP long time since its been talked about and as such that seems to have marked the end of the comic - though I have no idea how the relationship between the two works (the two being potential TV show and the comic continuing)

*alas not in terms of the fact that there won't be a telly show, not fussed either way there particularly, except for the reward it would have brought the creators one would hope, rather the fact that it seems to mean the comic can't be sustained any longer.

Hawkmumbler

Once again, my comic reading schedule has been disrupted. A 10 day stretch at work has left me too tired to even turn a page. Roll on Boxing Day when I can roll in the wonderful worlds of Unfollow, Black Hammer, Savage Dragon, Weekly Shonen Jump  and, of course, the Prog!

Colin YNWA

There was some discussion of the lack of Copperhead in 2016 well IT'S BACK!

Issue 11 is listed in Images March solicitations - WAYHEY!