Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Well I've got all the books so far, and as to a subscription, after hearing the problems people are having with damaged deliveries, no thanks.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomontherun94

With Forbidden Planet not getting any stock in I called Hachette andvrestarted my Transformers subscription (Still had the UC sub active as I want the premium figures).

Gotta say the new customer services team is miles better than last time I called, which I think was to cancel Transformers.

IndigoPrime

The Facebook lot are good, for sure. When I messaged the TF team, they said they'd investigate on my behalf re FP, which was a bit above and beyond. (Although they just came back today and said they're still investigating. The answer is of course: Diamond. Hachette really did pick a great time for those 'warehouse moves'...)

The Monarch

to be fair to them its not like they could see the covid coming

IndigoPrime

Oh, sure — it's just terrible timing. And not having access to your stock for an indeterminate period when you cannot access a product in stores is a very bad place to be in as a publisher.

Jade Falcon

So this Savage is just going to be Taking Liberties, no incorporating The Guv'nor as well.  I was hoping we would get some of the stuff that was released after those two trades.  Its obvious that there's more as noted on Wikipedia.

I would, like others I'm sure, like to get an idea of what is going to be in the extension, even if its like "x" number of Dredd books, with no further details.  At the same time I can't think in what might be included as my knowledge is of older strips.  Maybe Harry 20 on the High Rock (which I have) might be on it, included with the sequel story that was printed later.  Flesh has been mentioned but the phone book size one had books 1 and 2 as well as what looked like an some later print stories and one I remember as an annual story.

Can someone tell me, were Mach 1 and Mach Zero originally 2000ad properties or someone elses.  I don't really know much about them except if I remember right Mach 1 was like a British Bionic man, and zero was an Incredible Hulk type.  The former seemed a popular type of story in that era, like the Manix story in the reprint Eagle.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

davidbishop

Mach 1 and Mach Zero were created for 2000AD.

Eamonn Clarke

And both Mach 1 and Mach Zero will be coming up on the podcast next week with Conrad from SpaceSpinner2000

IndigoPrime

Given that they exist in SC, it wouldn't surprise me of those books make it to the extension. However, if so then I _really_ hope we get things like Firekind. It would be a missed opportunity if we basically got a HC clone set of existing Rebellion books rather than some new things as well. Plus, frankly, Mach 1 does not hold up well, beyond possibly twanging some people's nostalgia glands.

moly

It is strange they haven't announced any of the extension, with the judge dredd collection they announced almost everything a lot earlier

Woolly

Personally, I think we've had more than enough of the nostalgia thrills in this collection.
I'd prefer the extension to stick to Rebellion/Matt Smith era stuff.

IndigoPrime

I wouldn't go that far. That would remove any chance of Firekind/Indigo Prime, for example. But I don't think we really need to mine yet more half-arsed stuff from 2000 AD's early days.

sintec

There's enough Savage to potentially do another 3 books.  2nd book would most likely be identical to The Guv'nor trade then we'd be getting stuff that hasn't made it into trades yet in the last 2. No idea if that's likely to make it into the extension or not, although I guess The Guv'nor material is probably a safeish bet.

The current run focussed pretty heavily on the Golden Age material, I don't think there's much left from the 200-500 era. We've had comparable little material from Progs 700-1000 but from what I hear that's mostly a good thing. Other than those exceptions I think it's been a fairly even spread across the ages and I hope the extension continues that trend.

I think it's a fairly safe bet we'll get continuations of series where we're a book or 2 short of having complete(ish) runs: ABC Warriors, Absalom, Strontium Dog, Dominion, Fall Of Deadworld.

The remainder of Kingdom and Stickleback would also be good (there's not enough of either to fill a whole book at the moment but I believe Stickleback is due back in the Prog soon which might round that one out and there's always the option to pad things out with some Future Shocks or equivalent).

I'd be surprised if we don't see Brink and Jaegir and if there aren't at least a couple more Sinister Dexter and Dredd volumes.  What else we get is much more speculative and I'm really surprised they've not been dropping at least a few hints on the FB page.

Personally I'd like to see a few creator focussed volumes with some self contained stories, Ian Edington and John Smith being obvious candidates for that treatment. I also wonder if they're going to try and squeeze things like the new parts of Aquilla in, not sure how that'd work though as I doubt there'll be enough for another book.

Jade Falcon

Harry 20 isn't bad, bar some of the laughable names, but the trade I've got was a US print as at the time there wasn't a UK edition. That might have changed.

At the same time there's no sense calling this the ultimate collection if it's all newish stuff but I agree some older material doesn't date well. Hell,compare Invasion to the later Savage in terms of 'atmosphere'. Invasion comes off as Red Dawn UK edition albeit a no brain enjoyable read.

I wouldn't mind Leviathan but to be honest I've not read it so I'm thinking of what I've heard about it.