Main Menu

Dredd as anime

Started by Steamboy, 04 September, 2003, 08:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamboy

Dont know about other people but i quite enjoy Anime and i got to thinking damn Dreddy would be great as anime, wouldnt need to be done by japanese studio just in their style. It would also need to have a decent amount of cash spent on it.(dont want Dragon Ball Z quality, more like Hellsing or Cowboy Bebop even better Akira or Spriggan quality animation) I drool jast thinking about it.  If we cant do Dredd cause of Disney or some such theres plenty more stories worthy of the treatment in Thargies house of thrills

Just a thought and dribble from Krestie

Pyroxian

Nah, I don't think the Anime style would suit 2000AD characters - urrgghh, could anyone imagine Durham Red as a Superdeformed character?

Something along the lines of the Batman Animated Series style would be nice though...

Steve

JamieB

"Anime" is just a blanket title for the many styles of Japanimation; MACROSS PLUS, for example, is visually light years away from something like FLCL.

DURHAM RED would work fabulously if done in a HELLSING or, more pertinently perhaps, BLOOD: THE LAST VAMPIRE style; STRONTIUM DOG or SINISTER DEXTER would make a fabulous COWBOY BEBOP or TRIGUN-type series; and, speaking for meself, I'd climb over 200 dead Disneys to get one Hayao Miyazaki take on LUKE KIRBY.

Or, for that matter, someone like Mamoru Oshii (AVALON, GHOST IN THE SHELL movie) realising MC-1. Or Otomo. Otomo ABC WARRIORS: to *die* for.

J-Bo-we-could-do-Bison-like-FLCL-for-giggles-1

Meathook

Is it me or has anyone else noticed the look of purgatory on Tharg's face in the latest artwork? Perhaps he's being eating curry sauce contaminated styrene cups!
Each peach pear plum!

CraveNoir

Something like the new MTV Spider-man series looks like a sensible approach. It presents CGI in toon style pretty elegantly.

Its starts on Nickelodeon on Saturday 6th September at 9am, repeated at 9pm. The second episode would appear to be on Sunday at the same times.

Link: http://www.nick.co.uk/shows/SPI/index.aspx" target="_blank">Nickelodeon's UK Spiderman site

http://www.nick.co.uk/shows/SPI/media/home.jpg">

JamieB

Yeah, but it uses a totally bizarre mix of CGI (for Spidey, cityscapes etc.) and what looks like cel-shaded computer animation in a more "cartoony" style for Pete, MJ et al. The latter is kinda hard to get used to, although it *is* growing on me.

Also: rubbish individual plots so far, but great overarching Pete/MJ storyline. TOTALLY accessible, which is nice.

J-Bo-1

CraveNoir

The mix of cel-shading for characters and smooth-shaded for some parts of the environment did strike me as odd at first, but it doesn't diminish the show for me. They also seem to have painted backdrops, or at least the appearance of them.

I think this method of producing a CGI series is long overdue. It looks so much slicker than the ulgy graphics of Excaliber or Dan Dare. There's some nice touches like the way background characters are greyed out, and the jump cuts in establishing shots.

A DVD of all 13 episodes will be out in January in the US. Hopefully it'll be released here soon after.

Leigh S

Has anyone caught the classic Spiderman cartoon series on Sunday Mornings yet?  Car booting has meant I've yet to remember to tape the buggers.....

abraxas22

Ahh the classic Spiderman series ,my childhood must-see series.Thanks for the reminder about the
showings.As for the animes,several 2000ad characters could be good & it's not so far-fetched with the upcoming Snake Plissken anime and all.

Steamboy

as other people pointed out not all anime about big heads and super deformed characters plenty of nice arty looking visuals out there.  Maybe the best we can hope for is something like the MTV Spiderman, I wouldnt complain but no one does animation like our eastern friends. (Durham Red Hellsing style oh yeah!)

sweaty_badger

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the odd bit of manga(I love the Akira GNs), but I just don't think it would look right to "mangafy" any 2000ad characters. It seems that western comics are rife with manga style spinoffs(I saw a sandman manga spinoff the other for chrissake. As far as I could tell the script was identical!) Most of it just seems to be the big breasted scantily clad womem style manga, and Id hate to see that in the tooth(no really!!).

I dont think Rebellion have to stoop to such levels to win new fanbase. There is no need to jump on the bandwagon. There is plenty of manga stuff out there without needing it all over 2000ad as well.

CGI_squirrel

What's going on with the two new dredd films they're supposed to be making?

The Amstor Computer

Well, the last I heard, they'd cancelled production after seeing a script from an up-and-coming writer & his cat...

judge dreddd

anime is a great way to get stories 'off the page', i wonder if they could use the game engine that has been developed by rebellion to produce the dredd vs death game ?

its a cheap way to make a cartoon ?

btw kesterl... have you tried the big finish audio cd's ?

imagination has a BIG budget

CraveNoir

i wonder if they could use the game engine that has been developed by rebellion to produce the dredd vs death game ?

Using game engines to tell stories is the wrong way to go for lots of reasons; the main one being that if you model and animate original characters you might as well render them from the 3D application used to make them where you have infinately greater control over the output.

its a cheap way to make a cartoon ?

Using a game engine is an easy way to distribute your movie over the internet, and it can be time saving if you're using models, animations, textures, and maps that already exist, but this restricts creativity.

An example of an interesting use of a game engine is the much talked about XIII, which is based on a french comic. It presents graphic novel/toon style visuals using the unreal engine, and has gained a lot of attention because of this. I bet the guy at Rebellion who made the descision not to DvD like this is kicking himself!

In the past year CGI has become surprisingly cheap and quick to produce.

A team of about 20 people could realisticly produce 20 episodes of a 22 minute show in a year. Plus you'd need voice artists, and a couple of actors for motion capture.

I think I can even budget it as ?100,000 for the tools and ?600,000 for the staff. So ?700,000 for 20 or so episodes to be created.

That's my theory anyway! :)

Link: http://www.ubi.com/US/Games/xiii/" target="_blank">X I I I