Main Menu

Alien Quadroligy (sp? word?)

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 15 September, 2003, 06:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

This is a new box set of the alien films, due out in December.

As far as I can tell, it's nothing too special over the existing DVDs. I think there's a verion of Alien with the deleted scenes on the current DVD inserted into it, and I know the version of AlienS simply allows you to choose between the original cut and the director's cut.

However, there is a version of Alien 3 with an extra 1 hour and 10 minutes of footage (2h 50m, verses the current 1h 40m).

Does anyone know what is in the extra hour and a bit?
Lock up your spoons!

Richmond Clements

I remember reading (a while ago now) that Alien 3 would include an alternative ending. Also, all four movie will have an audio commentary.

Oddboy

Isn't Alien getting a cinema (re)release this November aswell? 25th Annerversay or somesuch?
Better set your phaser to stun.

test 4 echo

Isn't Alien getting a cinema (re)release this November aswell? 25th Annerversay or somesuch?

i heard something like that to. love to see it on the big screen.
not sure i'd bother with Alien 3 again, never liked it enough to get excited about more footage.

JamieB

The forthcoming ALIEN cinema re-release is the Director's Cut, which includes the long-awaited "Dallas in a cocoon" scene, a bit more in the alien ship on LV-426, and a bit more in the chase scenes, by the looks of the trailer. Presumably this is the biggest USP of the Quadrilogy, which IIRC is a wallet-smashing 90-odd quid.

J-Bo-1

Pyroxian

Yeah, but we'll hopefully get a better cut of Alien 3 with all the bits that Fox/Weaver cut out and that Fincher wanted kept in (I think it's the plot bits with the 'Bald English Dudes' in)

Now all we need is a version of Alien Resurrection with Joss Whedon's ending...

And the Airlock scene in Alien - I've always wanted to see that, but they never filmed the Alien side of it.

And you can probably get ?20 off the price of the Quadrology by flogging off your current 4 disc box set.

Steve

Dudley

petemaskreplica

well, yes. But Quadroligy has a certain ring to it, don't you think?

Oddboy

But the 'r' is coming from Trilogy... maybe it should be 'quadlogy'
Better set your phaser to stun.

Buddy

Hey... I like Alien3... if for no other reason thiat it's the only one of the series in which the Alien doesn't sneek onto the escaping ship only to suprise our heros who thought they were safe from the monster.

I can't believe they used that same ending in two out of the three follow up films... sheesh!!!

The Enigmatic Dr X

S'not me calling it a quadrilogy - it's 20th Century Fox. I know it's wrong!

Seems not worth giving up the current box then, as the deleted scenes from Alien are already in the exisitng box... AND it can't be much of a director's cut coming out because in the commentary to the deleted scenes, Scott says he cut the man-into-egg scene himself cos he thought it made the film slower and wasn't needed.

Surely it's not all a cynical cash in?

And the alternative ending to the fourth one is on the new DVD, but that won't redeem it from the odd half-born cack - is it only me, or is the idea that Ripley herself can impregnante a queen rather odd, even for sci-fi?
Lock up your spoons!

Art

Hmm, if the ALien Directors Cut is at thhe cinema I might go see it, but i'm not going to buy the DVD just so I can have all the deleted scenes (which are already on my DVD of it) reinserted.

Strangely I'm actually coming round to the opinion that The Thing is a better film, despite esentially being an Aliens cash-in.

Buddy

You mean an 'ALIEN' cash in.

The Thing is a fantastic film, one of my all time faves...

Did I mention ALIENS was shit....

DavidXBrunt

To paraphrase Tom Baker
"Wonderful look to the things but the characters in the films are so boring. The best way to kill the alien would be to mount a meeting discussing the problem and invite it. It'd kill itself after half an hour in their company."

Art

I stand corrected.

Hmm, do you think that as a general rule cheesy Alien cash-ins are better than cheesy Aliens cash-ins?