Main Menu

Earthside 8 has surfaced...

Started by Grant Goggans, 18 August, 2010, 11:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Not having TPO to hand, how much money did they pump into this before they pulled the plug?  Was it half a million quid, or was that something else?

Lobo Baggins

'E-Teen'? Bloody hell...

It seems very strange to have a story about a 'futuristic Repo-Man' in a comic allegedly aimed at eight year olds, too.

Quote from: ming on 19 August, 2010, 12:04:03 PM
Not having TPO to hand, how much money did they pump into this before they pulled the plug?  Was it half a million quid, or was that something else?

According to TPO, Jon Davidge reckoned that it would have cost £500,000 to launch. It was the TV ad for 2000AD that cost so much to make that they couldn't afford any airtime for it that cost the ridiculous amount of money...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 19 August, 2010, 12:32:25 PM

It seems very strange to have a story about a 'futuristic Repo-Man' in a comic allegedly aimed at eight year olds, too.

but it was OK to have a tyrannical psychopath chasing after a deviant alien back in 1980.

Grant Goggans

Quote from: The Corinthian on 19 August, 2010, 12:28:36 AM
IIC, Tharg offered Earthside-8 ashcans to readers of the 1993 Tooth Winter Special, so maybe that's where this came from?

You're right!  I double-checked and Tharg did offer five copies to readers.

TordelBack

Quote from: Garageman on 19 August, 2010, 12:38:14 PM
but it was OK to have a tyrannical psychopath chasing after a deviant alien back in 1980.

How ever would the kiddies cope with stories that contain things they don't already know about?

Remember how parents and the outraged-on-your-behalf brigade responded to a (literal) Molotov cocktail in snoozefest 'The Hand' over in 80's Eagle?  

We're them now.  

Lobo Baggins

I just thought they'd have a tricky time considering the the hero of the piece is essentially a dept collector, is all...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 19 August, 2010, 01:02:53 PM

I just thought they'd have a tricky time considering the the hero of the piece is essentially a dept collector, is all...

Grist for the mill in Scream '84. Is it not more subversive for debt collectors not to be portrayed heroes?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2010, 12:56:36 PM

How ever would the kiddies cope with stories that contain things they don't already know about?

They'd ignore them.

The Corinthian

Am I the only person who saw the Tooth TV advert from 1994? It was on Channel 4 well after midnight. I looked up from my "revision" and saw Armoured Gideon staring back at me from the TV.

I'd gone apostate about 3 months earlier. If it had been Toothless for a bit longer I might have been tempted back.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: The Corinthian on 19 August, 2010, 02:09:35 PM
Am I the only person who saw the Tooth TV advert from 1994? It was on Channel 4 well after midnight. I looked up from my "revision" and saw Armoured Gideon staring back at me from the TV.

Yes, I think you might well be...

Doesn't even seem to have made it to YouTube either, although searching for 2000AD advert does find this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pRhR5uzbR0

Which just goes to show that the Halo Jones stage play may well have been even worse than I imagined, and late night Yoof TV was actually even worse than I remembered...

Dandontdare

I want to read Mr Elephant Head now!

Woolly

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 August, 2010, 11:38:28 PM
Yes, add my shout to the call for this being reprinted somewhere. Either as a meg supplement (perhaps with the prog #0 dummy, or the remaining pages thereof, and anything that may exist from the scrapped proto-meg dummies.
SBT

I'd pay very good money for this.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 19 August, 2010, 04:13:15 PM
Quote from: The Corinthian on 19 August, 2010, 02:09:35 PM
Yes, I think you might well be...

I saw it too. I think I saw it after an edition of The Big Breakfast.

The Monarch

I like the idea of the comic being themed like a televison station but my god those "editors" are embarassingly naff despite being designed by Hewlett...

Darren Stephens

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I saw a dummy issue of something called "Alternity", or something like that at a UKCAC in the early 90s. It was possibly this! It had Dinosty in it, as I recall and was to be a younger 2000AD. It looked great.

Edit : And yes, The Corinthian, I remember that ad too. Took me by surprise. Talk about blasts from the past! :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^