Main Menu

Prog 2172 - Alien APB

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 March, 2020, 06:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Things remain on Tharg's type form, that is to say magnificent, just not exceptional magnificence.

Dredd Neimand and Lynch to stella new (well we assume in one case and I'm sure some folk are going to come and tell me Jake Lynch has been working for Tharg for 10 years or something!) stars produce yet more stella work. Another great Dredd as the alien learns from his heritage and Dredd learns of his powers.

Sinister Dexter returns - this always makes me happy - see below - and this is a solid opening to the latest story.

Zaucer of Zilk is superb and turns in a more sober and emotion episode yet all the more entertaining for it.

Skip Tracer remains dependably solid, yet not inspiring yet. Still happy to give it time as this has (second story) be capable of great things.

Feral and Foe has another winnign episode as we are reminded of the ties that bind and our anti-heroes join a new fellowship on an already deadly mission.

Nothing bad at all, just not as much astonishing this time... well except the astonishingly good news in Tharg's Nerve Centre that we're going to get a celebration of Sinister Dexter's 25th birthday in the form of "massive arc". Can't wait and hope we get to keep the Mighty Yeowell for that one.

Richard

My favourite bit of Sinister Dexter was [spoiler]"Fun Rides and Slots," fnarr fnarr.[/spoiler]

Jacqusie

Lynch's artwork is steadily evolving and becoming slicker, but sadly not really his actualy Dredd, as for me he draws Dreddy's head like a lozenge, a bit too elongated like Jimmy Hill. It makes him look a bit nerdy if I'm honest.

I'm hoping that we get a Williams or Wagner Dredd down the line this Spring, as good as Ken is on script duties, Dredd for me is always great when we visit characters that move things forward in his world.

Best story for me is Zaucer which I'm really enjoying and I think Hogan's spin on it all works well in a more mature but fantastic looking experience. I know everyone likes Vex, but I find it a bit too bonkers in my advancing years and Feral and Foe is much easier on the eyes.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Jacqusie on 09 March, 2020, 11:01:15 AM
Lynch's artwork is steadily evolving and becoming slicker, but sadly not really his actualy Dredd, as for me he draws Dreddy's head like a lozenge, a bit too elongated like Jimmy Hill. It makes him look a bit nerdy if I'm honest.

I know it's subjective, but that's how Dredd looks in my mind, with the elongated face. Probably because Henry Flint was drawing him in the 90s when I started reading and I think Lynch is influenced by Flint's earlier work (and the McMahon influence that predates both)

broodblik

A good solid prog but not as great as when both Vex and Brink was in the prog.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

It's all about Jake Lynch's exquisite artwork for me this week. I was going to mention last time how much I loved the way he'd designed and drawn Qgggl, especially those warm, almost bottomless amber eyes; this week is simply a masterclass in how to perfectly execute both alien anatomy and otherwordly planetscapes. And while his depiction of Dredd is equally fantastic, it's almost a disappointment when something so familiar shows up. Top, top quality stuff, reinforcing Lynch's burgeoning status among the pantheon of all-time Dredd greats.

(His cover is awesome too but the colouring's a bit... not muddy exactly, but pastelly... and the background detail's a little distracting)

Elsewhere SinDex is as reliably enjoyable as ever - looking forward to an extended run for this forthcoming major arc. Feral & Foe keeps the thrill-o-meter needle firmly in the red. And Skip Tracer once again teeters on the edge of being brilliant, it really only needs a tiny nudge! Hopefully this chapter is going to be up there with 'Legion' in delivering top thrills.

Colin YNWA

Wow just about to start the review thread for this weeks Prog and lord above its very quiet on here?!? No one read the Prog. Are you all struck dumb by Tharg's brilliance or just too polite to spit the bile its raised in your belly (so gone to FB were spitting bile is par for the course!).

broodblik

....and for people still reading the prog: mentioned in the letter page, we have Aquila returning in two weeks and the week after that the finale of Survival Geeks
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 March, 2020, 08:48:07 PM
Wow just about to start the review thread for this weeks Prog and lord above its very quiet on here?!? No one read the Prog. Are you all struck dumb by Tharg's brilliance or just too polite to spit the bile its raised in your belly (so gone to FB were spitting bile is par for the course!).

Haven't received any progs since the regened one #subscriber
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Richard

Phone them, they're very good at sorting out that kind of thing.

BPP

Quote from: Richard on 15 March, 2020, 01:28:32 PM
Phone them, they're very good at sorting out that kind of thing.

I know but what usually happens is they send a replacement and then a month later the original arrives. Then I send one back as I don't want to profit. What's annoying is rebellion stuff gets there in 48 hours but subs stuff often goes MIA for 2 plus weeks. It's clear the post office / subs handling company have an issue because it's a regular thing yet I've no problem with any other post including direct from 2000ad
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Fungus

Quote from: broodblik on 15 March, 2020, 04:36:21 AM
....and for people still reading the prog: mentioned in the letter page, we have Aquila returning in two weeks and the week after that the finale of Survival Geeks

No indication Survival Geeks is ending any time soon...

broodblik

Quote from: Fungus on 15 March, 2020, 07:57:03 PM
No indication Survival Geeks is ending any time soon...

Unfortunately this is how it looks like. A quote out of what is coming in April: and the Survival Geeks are back for their final adventure as they battle parallel-dimension versions of themselves in 'Crisis of Infinite Nerds'

https://2000ad.com/news/whats-coming-from-rebellions-comics-imprints-this-april/

It was mentioned in the prog as well but with a receding hairline comes other gives like where did I put my glasses ?

CalHab

Survival Geeks really grew on me. It'll be a loss for the prog when it ends.