Main Menu

New Doctor Who series

Started by rogue69, 11 May, 2024, 08:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

What the hell have they done to Doctor Who? They have turned it into a really bad kids program that's clearly made for an American audience these are easily the 2 episodes ever!
Are they trying to kill it off like the Sylvester McCoy series

Jim_Campbell

It is a kids' show. I didn't like the new first episode... I couldn't even get to the end. But I've made my peace with that — I'd rather kids grew up watching Dr Who and loving it than having them make the show for fifty-plus-year-old-men like me. If that means that old farts like me stop watching it (and I have, now) then that's better, IMO, than the reverse...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

It was bad, but not bad enough for me to stop watching. The frenetic pacing annoyed me, but Ncuti and Millie were great, and there were some good bits mixed among the panto stuff. I can do without the musical numbers, though.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Legendary Shark

There's a good idea at the core of this episode, and some of the pips are juicy, but the flesh is rotten. 

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

nxylas

I think we just have to accept that Doctor Who is firmly for kids again, and put up or shut up.

The Monarch

its always been for kids

its just the kids grew up and just kept watching it

pauljholden

Honestly felt for all the many many flaws of that first one, it looked beautiful (well, monster notwithstanding) all the space stuff. And I did laugh at the space startion butt venting all the gas...

(It did feel like a faint echo of rose, Doctor turns up and starts running and keeps running and no-one has any time to relax and just be...)

nxylas

Quote from: The Monarch on 12 May, 2024, 09:36:04 PMits always been for kids

its just the kids grew up and just kept watching it
I think it's fluctuated over the years, from a kids' programme that adults enjoy to an adult programme that kids enjoy. depending on who is in charge. There were definitely periods starting quite early on when it aroused the ire of Mary Whitehouse et al for being too horrific for kids.

Richard

It's never pretended to be anything but a kids' show for kids. (The spin-off Torchwood was marketed as Dr Who for adults, but it turned out to be less popular than Dr Who.) It's just that some writers are better at writing all-ages material than others.

IndigoPrime

It felt very... RTD Who. The man doesn't do logic. His plots, such as they are, fall to pieces the second you examine them. But the show is loud and flashy and sometimes fun.

I thought Space Babies was absurd. I'm not sure I liked it, with the thing lurching back and forth between uncanny valley talking babies, the C-list Alien, and the Doctor repeatedly being weirdly callous in scaring the kids. The final act wasn't earned either. This one could probably have been saved with a script editor but this show since the return hasn't cared about giving someone in that position any power.

I thought the second episode was much better. The villain was menacing. The story just about held up. Ish. And the ending was so over the top that you had to admire probably the most expensive thing Doctor Who has ever done being a dance number. Even if the song itself was (ironically, given the plot) terrible.

So a 2/5 and a 3/5 from me for those so far. And that's a quarter of the series done. It'll be interesting to see where it goes and if people are so quick to consider RTD the second coming at every available opportunity. I'm preparing for it to be fine and am not terribly invested. It's six hours of hopefully entertaining telly.