Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

1963 is great and is recommended to anyone! Definitely the best thing in the early Image period.

His Supreme run is also brilliant.

I am yet to read his Wildcats but it is probably good also.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Mabs on 16 December, 2013, 03:10:09 PM
I started Locke & Key Vol. 2 which is aboslutely funting brilliant! The opening chapter concerning Mr. Ridgeway just took my breath away, such brilliant writing from Joe Hill, and complemented beautifully by Gabriel Rodriguez's artwork. Not since Sandman have I been so gripped by a comic series.

I just read the entire thing over the last couple of weeks.

Really, really good stuff. I hope Joe Hill does more comics (and writes more horror and more everything)

Link Prime

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 December, 2013, 03:36:44 PM

Really, really good stuff. I hope Joe Hill does more comics (and writes more horror and more everything)

Check out his current mini series for IDW- Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland. It's ace.

Plus- last issue of Locke & Key is only 2 days away.

Colin YNWA

I wasn't a big fan of 1963. It all felt a bit like a generic pastiche and didn't offer anything new... though as its Alan Moore it might well be that I was missing something?

eBay normally has copies going for reasonable sum. I know mine didn't sell for much, so no point regretin'

Chris Tresson

I'm currently reading "Magic Words: The Extraordinary Life of Alan Moore" by Lance Parkin. Finally found out why Moore used pseudonyms on some of his work. That had been bugging me for a while. Other than that, I've been reading my usual DC Comics tripe...

Skullmo

"Magic Words: The Extraordinary Life of Alan Moore" by Lance Parkin   -    worth reading?
It's a joke. I was joking.

Chris Tresson

Aigh, Skullmo. It's pretty decent, I'm about a hundred or so pages in and it's been great so far!

Professor Bear

Essential Killraven - which is basically the Arnie version of Conan transplanted to post-apocalyptic 2018 New York after the martian tripods from War of the Worlds have wrecked our shit.  Overblown and borderline embarrassing in places, I'm lapping it up so far as it's just pure pulp nonsense with some hilariously dated racial politics that would be worrying if they'd come from anyone other than Bill "I retired from comics to a day job was as a fuckin pro bono lawyer" Mantlo.  Looks to be some great Craig Russel art later in the book, too.
Daft and fun.

Theblazeuk

Poor Bill Mantlo.

I hope whoever drove off after running him down was eaten by a dire wraith and then brutally exploded from the inside by a spaceknight.

Colin YNWA

Just finished Jack Kirby's Silver Star. This six part series from the greatest comics writer ever is meant to be from a time when he was past his peak. My God its astonishingly good though. Will Kirby ever cease to amaze me (well yeah I wasn't a massive fan of his Captain America if I'm honest, but that just means I want to find time to re-read it as I assume I was missing something.). The scale and wonder is all there. The staggering imagination. The complete, seemingly intuitive, understanding of the comics medium and how to get the best from it. Its all there and all Kirby, at his best.

If anyone hasn't yet read this lesser known Kirby classic I for one would give it the highest possible recommendation. The master at his very best.

mogzilla

finally got round to reading spawn origins 19 which is exactly where I left off originally so anything from origins 20 will be all new

superior spiderman continues to entertain as I'm trying to catch up on that
and reading trifecta again just because its so damned good.

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Mabs

More Locke & Key, and Requiem Vampire Knight! God I love Requiem.....one of the most awesome series that Pat Mills has done in recent memory. And Olivier Ledroit's artwork is bloody mindblowing.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

HOO-HAA

Almost wrapped on Mike Carroll's Cold Light of Day and then it's onto vN by Madeline Ashby, all the while dipping in and out of Anderson PSI Files 01.

Mikey

Over the last couple of weeks I've read The Underwater Welder and volume one of Bandette, plus working on a catch up on Black Static and Interzone (I always seem to be behind with these).

The Underwater Welder didn't really live up to my expectations in a way. It's a wonderful book, don't get me wrong, but it didn't give me the emotional kicking I thought it would considering some of the comments I read about it. Brilliant mood piece and I love Lemires sparse lines. Bandette on the other hand was full on FUN from start to finish. It zips along and manages to be stylish, entertaining and intriguing all at once while being suitable for a large age range - Presto! I want more...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mabs

Quote from: Mikey on 22 December, 2013, 02:11:03 PM
Over the last couple of weeks I've read The Underwater Welder and volume one of Bandette, plus working on a catch up on Black Static and Interzone (I always seem to be behind with these).

The Underwater Welder didn't really live up to my expectations in a way. It's a wonderful book, don't get me wrong, but it didn't give me the emotional kicking I thought it would considering some of the comments I read about it. Brilliant mood piece and I love Lemires sparse lines. Bandette on the other hand was full on FUN from start to finish. It zips along and manages to be stylish, entertaining and intriguing all at once while being suitable for a large age range - Presto! I want more...

M.

I think with The Underwater Welder, each reader will feel differently about the subject, maybe depending on their own experiences. It definitely affected me, and left a lasting impression hence why it was one of my favourite graphic novels at the time.

What are your guys impression on The Black Dossier? I've yet to read it but have reserved it in my library, hopefully I'll pick it up later. There's a fair bit of League exploits I 've yet to read as it goes; Century and was it 1969? Damn my memory. I read the first two books and Nemo: Heart of Ice and really enjoyed them.

Keeping on the subject of Alan Moore, I'm currently reading Future Shocks; so far so very good indeed! Some of the stories are really hilarious!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie