Main Menu

Prog 2191 - Let's Boogie!

Started by Leigh S, 18 July, 2020, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I can't imagine DA/MH are writing Halo Jones Book 4. Why would you bother, when you've set up your own universe? Halo Jones is part of 2000 AD's past. The Out could well be part of its future.

norton canes

Might as well spoiler the whole of my first paragraph...

[spoiler]Typical. You wait 26 years for a Shako comeback (since his appearance in Armoured Gideon) then it happens twice in the same month. As Harry Hill used to say, 'What are the chances?!' I do love the idea of Rob Williams writing this instalment of End Of Days while thinking to himself, "Oh man, there's no way they are going to expect this!". And I suppose ironically he was right - given that Dan Abnett had just done it, it probably was the last thing anyone was expecting. [/spoiler]

Anyway, EOD continues to be more dog's dinner than dog's bollocks but I still love it. And there's some blinding stuff elsewhere this week too - that last panel of Diaboliks, for instance - I do love a good 'Heroes Assemble!' moment. Is this the mkII Caballistics, Inc.?  Then there's that breathtaking swerve in The Out which catapults it into exciting new territory. But above all there's The Order, where Kek-W finally takes a break from the relentless (but totally compelling) narrative to give us a dark moment of truly disturbing fear and panic. TOP THRILL and extra oil rations to all droids concerned.

norton canes

I'm getting a Steve Coogan/Brasseye vibe from ideas that The Out might be a continuation of Halo Jones.

In 1987, no-one wrote a story that was like Halo Jones book III.
In 1988, no-one wrote a story that was like Halo Jones book III.
In 1989, no-one wrote a story that was like Halo Jones book III...

In 2020, one person wrote a story that was like Halo Jones book III.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 July, 2020, 09:09:12 AM
The Out is pretty amazing though. Anyone else getting a Halo Jones type vibe here?

Where did she go?  Out.  It's right there in the title!

I had supposed her payments were ceasing because (life on) Earth had been destroyed somehow [spoiler]but now they're resumed that theory doesn't seem to hold water[/spoiler].

Dandontdare

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 July, 2020, 10:16:59 AM
I can't imagie  DA/MH are writing Halo Jones Book 4. Why would you bother, when you've set up your own universe? Halo Jones is part of 2000 AD's past. The Out could well be part of its future.

I do think (hope) it's unlikely, but the similarities in the plot, and even the title, made me a little worried. I'm loving this as a new strip, but if they did try a sneaky callback reveal, as seems to becoming more and more common, it would be a big misstep.

Quote from: norton canes on 23 July, 2020, 10:26:04 AM
I'm getting a Steve Coogan/Brasseye vibe from ideas that The Out might be a continuation of Halo Jones.

In 1987, no-one wrote a story that was like Halo Jones book III.
In 1988, no-one wrote a story that was like Halo Jones book III.
In 1989, no-one wrote a story that was like Halo Jones book III...

In 2020, one person wrote a story that was like Halo Jones book III.

:lol:

norton canes

I'm sure I read an interview the other week where either Mark Harrison or Dan Abnett said that Harrison had enjoyed working on Grey Area but because he followed on from Karl Richardson it never felt it was his own work, which is why Abnett created The Out. If that's the case (and it's not a monumentous piece of misdirection), itt seems extremely unlikely that this is going to be any sort of tie-in.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Having been pondering the surprise character introduction in 2191, I've been idly fantasizing about the cover to 2192. Imagine my surprise on seeing the announcement on Facebook that not only was it almost EXACTLY as my most fevered imaginings had hoped, but the artist was EXACTLY who I'd hoped it would be.

Now, if the tagline is [spoiler]"The only bear on the judges' Death List"[/spoiler], the eruption in the SmallBlue Underpants will be legendary.

SBT

norton canes

Mabe the plan is to get [spoiler]Shako[/spoiler] to appear in all the stories.

Imagine if [spoiler]he[/spoiler] was revealed in the final panel of every strip in the prog :D

CalHab

What an idea.....

I think that could possibly be the only way they could repeat the Trifecta trick.

TordelBack

So my thoughts this week seem to run opposite to last week.

Exception being The Out which is still pushing pretty much all the Tordelbuttons at once. Dr 'Doug Ross' George gave me a chuckle, and how I loved that bit of misdirection. This strip is the perfect example of the artist-led partnership, Harrison is just soaring with his glorious book-cover concept, and Abnett trying to out-do him with low-key character moments... Ah, bliss. May this never end.

Perhaps not quite as complete an episode as last week, but hey if Full Tilt Boogie isn't just the first part of something longer or better-yet ongoing I'll be quite miffed - this is lovely work, and I'm already very invested in the characters and a setting that feels well-defined. If this is all the Regened progs ever give us, I cock a snook at the naysayers.

While we're being effusive, the accompanying RonaldCover fair reminds me of one of my childhood faves from master of the control panel Peter Elson:

End of Days is actually growing on me now: the MC-1 scenes are suitably dramatic (and I love Flint's Logan), the near-panic on Justice 2 is engaging, and while I feel like tut-tutting Tharg for unfortunate timing, the last page reveal was really great - and thematically perfect, given that character's long-standing association with arctic germ warfare. Note too that [spoiler]Shako[/spoiler] already exists in Dredd's world via Lenny Zero's Shuggy Bear who I think mentions him. Still can't work out what Ichabod brings to the table, mind.  Special shout-out for Blythe's colours this week,

After giving out about the apparent blandness of Armoured Clara in last week's The Order, I am forced to eat my words this week - this is a very fine bit of backstory, and a chilling last page from Burns. In future I will trust in Kek-W to get to the good stuff in his own sweet time.

Diaboliks seems to be meandering a bit for my tastes, and while I really like Fuso's more Adlardian art it does lack the deceptive simplicity that gives Dom's Cabsverse its particular character.

CalHab

I'm not sure I buy Logan as Chief Judge, and his slightly implausible actions/dialogue in this prog are part of that. He gives the impression of being a place-holder CJ, and I've assumed that he was going to get bumped-off in an epic. My money had been on a Mechanismo running amok, but I'm now expecting some sort of undercity-based shenanigans.

Laser Skeleton

I love Full Tilt Boogie, it feels fresh and quick on its feet. A really nice manga influence on Ocana's art - I could well picture the series as a long-running anime. I think this is the way forward for the regened style if the aim is to bring younger readers on board, I teach 11-12 year olds and I know they'd be much more likely to get caught up in a story in this style.

The Out is also wonderful. The Prog is on great form at the moment!

sheridan

Quote from: CalHab on 23 July, 2020, 12:30:31 PM
I'm not sure I buy Logan as Chief Judge, and his slightly implausible actions/dialogue in this prog are part of that. He gives the impression of being a place-holder CJ, and I've assumed that he was going to get bumped-off in an epic. My money had been on a Mechanismo running amok, but I'm now expecting some sort of undercity-based shenanigans.

I'm getting a bit of a place-holder CJ as well, though I think he'd take the Francisco route.  I don't think they'd get killed off due to being based on a real person who is no longer with us.  Though plot armour only goes so far, so far.  Whatever happens to the character, I don't think they'd leave in a conventional way.

TordelBack

I really like Logan as CJ - he's not showy or over-designed, but he has both his own strong opinions and a sort of a weary vibe that plays well with his largely administrative background. Plus there's the taint of Mortisssss lurking unexplored in the background: it's not like that thread is going to remain untugged forever.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 July, 2020, 10:05:32 AM

I as just about to say, if this is another crispy/deadman/malone twist and it turns out to be Halo Jones Book IV, I will be very pissed off.

Me too.  I think Tharg needs to retire that particular style of twist for at least another twenty years.  Mind you, I'd trust Dan Abnett to handle Halo better than Robbie Morrison, whose (thankfully) brief use of her in A Night 2 Remember had her saying something like 'My mama always told me to live dangerously'. Halo's mama?  Read the bleeding story, Robbie.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"