Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Quote from: Krakajac on 12 May, 2017, 12:51:13 AM
As a nod to fans, two versions of Dredd's uniform could be encorporated into the show.  A flashy, comic inspired uniform for formal dress occasions (like an Army officer might wear a mess kit to a formal event).  And a 'street' version - akin to the 2012 movie.  I can imagine a scene where Dredd is dressed in the former and getting pissed off and narky, impatient to change back into his practical street leathers and get back on the road.
I thought the same thing. No way do I want to see the Judges run around with exaggerated shoulder garment like the comics. If they are going for a proper grown up, plausible and violent show, then those would be ridiculous. By all means, the 2012 judges uniform can be tinkered with a little to give it a little bit more of a stylised look, but there's no way you should expect a street judge to perform his duty with a massive eagle and pad on each shoulder like in the comic. It'd work great as a ceremonial thing as that would work both as a little nod to the comic aesthetic as well as making some kind of real world sense. No jock strap, though.

The thing I'm more concerned about is the filming locations. If it is to be made in the UK, or near Rebellion's HQ, where will they film any outdoor sequences in the Big Meg? Surely you'd need some kind of city skyline for that like they did in Johannesburg and Cape Town?

Krakajac

"Surely you'd need some kind of city skyline for that like they did in Johannesburg and Cape Town?"

I guess like many sci-fi based TV series of the last decade or so - CGI will clearly play a large part in creating sweeping city vistas, etc.  Heck, it worked for the Stallone movie - and that was 22 years ago.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rusty on 12 May, 2017, 02:25:17 AMThe thing I'm more concerned about is the filming locations. If it is to be made in the UK, or near Rebellion's HQ, where will they film any outdoor sequences in the Big Meg? Surely you'd need some kind of city skyline for that like they did in Johannesburg and Cape Town?

A small second-unit could spend a week shooting helicopter/drone shots in a foreign city that can be used as FX plates for futuristic skylines - enough to cover an entire season. They could even hire film-crews who all ready live in those cities to do it. There's piles of Vancouver stock footage since so many shows shoot there and it's a very modern looking city.

Doesn't matter where interiors are.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Beeks on 11 May, 2017, 10:54:35 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 11 May, 2017, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: SIP on 11 May, 2017, 12:16:34 PM
Guessing of course, but if this has been given the go ahead on the strength of the loyal following of the 2012 Dredd movie, wouldn't it be a mistake to veer too far away from the look of that film?

The 2012 movie (for me) created a general aesthetic and city  that I actually now prefer to its comic counterpart. I don't think I want the city from 1995 Judge Dredd, I want 2012 Dredd.

The practical body armour was also spot on. And finally, if we are following on from the fan support of Dredd, Karl Urban would surely be the number 1 choice. I can only hope that it happens. I don't think any old actor will do just because it's only a chin and voice, that's seriously underplaying what karl urban brought to the role. He 100% nailed it.

Have to disagree there.  Although I liked Dredd the city just didn't capture the feel of the comic Mega City to me and I thought that the Stallone film actually did the city much better (even though the film wasn't exactly a great Dredd film).

Same with the uniform.   It was ok but could have been much better and I thought it looked a bit cheapo.   Dredds uniform should look as cool and expensive as possible.

I agree the City in Stallones Dredd was impressive..but strongly disagree about the Uniform..Urban's Judge uniform was bang on IMO..practical and combat based..exactly what you would expect a future lawman to wear on the streets

I'm all for making the uniform something that could be worn as a real uniform but I thought it was too different from the comic.  Look at this photo here..........

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/10/15612444/judge-dredd-television-show-im-global-2000-ad

I think it looks a bit cheap and ugly.   I know there's been many an argument about the helmet and uniform in general but I just don't think it was very well done.   The helmet looks odd (the cross is right in front of his eyes plus too thick and it looks further odd without the lighter band underneath the eyes) and those rounded shoulder pads look just wrong to me.   

I'm not the biggest Stallone film fan but apart from the codpiece I thought the uniform was more authentic to the comics.   They had the eagle shoulder pad but Stallones arm could move freely underneath it as it had movable segments so it was like a real uniform too.   

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Steve Green on 11 May, 2017, 11:30:57 PM
Quote from: Richard on 11 May, 2017, 11:18:26 PM
Stallone's uniform was completely impractical, and not like anything law enforcement would actually wear (except as dress uniform maybe). Urban' saws designed to be something you could actually fight in, and it looked cool.

Realism is overrated.

I don't mind the 2012 costume - but realism shouldn't be the be-all and end-all.

It can be a creative cul-de-sac, and you end up with everything looking SWAT if that's all you do.

I think there's room to get some more slight sculptural look to the pads without sacrificing practicality, get a bit of a distintive silhouette back.

More interested in the bike TBH, the costume would just be tinkering around the edges.

Interesting points.  I think getting the uniform and Lawmaster are both highly important.   I've actually seen people saying that the main thing that matters is getting the character right and those things are secondary.   Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They're ALL equally important!

What you say about the distinctive silhouette is bang on though.   The 2012 Dredd uniform just didn't have that distinctive powerful looking Judge uniform silhouette.   There was no eagle jutting out and the uniform looked baggy with round shoulders.   I really hope they don't use the same uniforms from Dredd if Urban comes back.   

I think this should definitely look more like the comics.  They can make the uniform realistic without changing it to much like they did in Dredd.

The Legendary Shark

I'd definitely prefer a more Ezquerran look for the judges' uniforms. The design isn't just about practicality but about dominance. In MC1 the Law has practically become God so the uniforms must convey the power of the judges as well as being practical.

I agree that Stallone's uniform, codpiece and spandex aside, was a better Judge Dredd uniform than Urban's, which was more like S.W.A.T. 2120.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

How about going for the original look from the very early Progs, for the eagle and shoulder pad? I.e. when they were much smaller than today. Would still be authentic to the comic and more practical than how it is now depicted.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 May, 2017, 07:06:52 AM
How about going for the original look from the very early Progs, for the eagle and shoulder pad? I.e. when they were much smaller than today. Would still be authentic to the comic and more practical than how it is now depicted.

Quite a lot like the 2012 costume, you mean? All they really did was turn the eagle into a motif, added some (OK, a lot) of armour, and took away the badge chain which, even if easily detachable (which it's never been shown to be), is a bit of a daft thing to have in hand-to-hand combat.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Wow, can't understand any of the negative comments on the 2012 costume. That thing was as near as perfect a modern realistic representation of a judges uniform you could get. It certainly didn't look cheap and there is a lot of detail in there. Lastly, it just looked complete bad ass. More of this please!!!

Puzzled!

Magnetica

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 May, 2017, 07:13:36 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 12 May, 2017, 07:06:52 AM

Quite a lot like the 2012 costume, you mean? All they really did was turn the eagle into a motif, added some (OK, a lot) of armour, and took away the badge chain which, even if easily detachable (which it's never been shown to be), is a bit of a daft thing to have in hand-to-hand combat.

Er...yeah...you could put it that way...just make the eagle stand out a bit more and you're there.

Dredd Head

Actually can't wait for this   :o   My GF who isn't a fan of comics in any way loved dredd (2012) and she was quite excited about this when I told her about it. Hopefully other non comic fans feel the same.

Also in terms of the uniform I think Urban's uniform was perfect other than the lack of the shoulder eagle

James Stacey

Quote from: sheridan on 11 May, 2017, 05:44:03 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 11 May, 2017, 01:33:00 PM
...  I'm disappointed Mr Wagner has had no involvement but it's early days and I'm sure he'll be called on in some capacity (if he even wants too).

Have I missed something, did it say Wagner had no involvement yet?
John mentioned it on Facebook

jacob g

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 07:16:15 AM
Wow, can't understand any of the negative comments on the 2012 costume. That thing was as near as perfect a modern realistic representation of a judges uniform you could get.

And that's the problem. Dredd loose too much of itself in being realistic just for the sake of modern cbm audience. They created tactical suits for movie, I get it, it works for this two hours, but I hoped that sequell would go in more brave directions (hoped, heh). They make him practical but not iconic, ok, Dredd was spot on action movie but this was a small part of what made JD interesting for me. There was little craziness in this movie, there was no dark humour, no serious political commentary, and I think that Dredd uniform is part of this - craziness and politics, his uniform screams "fascist sci-fi cop".

You know, Mad Max still can be crazy rolercoaster without trying to sacrifice his awesomeness for need of realism, damn, they are crazier as the Miller grows older. So, since JD is close to my heart as much as George Miller creation I hope that TV series will embrace inner fury road and just be bold and awesome and big in imaginery.

Just my small opinion, but whatever works, I know I trust Rebellion so I'll be content whatever road they choose probably.
margaritas ante porcos

Keef Monkey

I'm with the pro-2012 uniform folk too! I adore the look of that movie, and the uniform was perfect for the film and now feels iconic in its own right. It translates both ways too - when I read the Dredd sequel comics (Underbelly etc.) it always strikes me how great that look works in the comics. Love it.

Magnetica

For me the most important thing is to get the tone right. The comic does everything from black comedy, to police procedural, to war, to political thriller, to horror.

It works in the comic so I guess it can work on the box, but I guess It is going to require a lot of skill to incorporate all of that and make it consistent.

If Karl Urban can commit to appearing in most episodes then great, but if not I would rather they went for some one else. But hey, bigger movie stars than him have done long runs in TV shows. Martin Sheen and Kevin Spacey come most readily to mind ( and Kiefer Sutherland).