Main Menu

Endlessly Re-watchable

Started by Funt Solo, 08 January, 2021, 03:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Inspired by the idea (over on the Last Movie Watched thread) that a top list of movies doesn't need to consider quality when instead it can consider enduring longevity, I wanted to think about those movies that you watch again and again. Maybe they're those movies that, even if you happen upon them, you're stuck for the duration, unable to tear yourself away.

For me, there's:

- Goodfellas
- Aliens
- Blade Runner
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Blade Runner
Empire Strikes Back
Terminator 2
True Lies
Doctor Zhivago
Dark City
Army of Darkness
Aliens
Ben Hur
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Princess Bride

I'll be back with more later but Princess Bride is the greatest.

broodblik

Princess Bride how could I forget that one.

I also want to add Flash Gordon
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

There's so many films I could watch again and again but here's my 10 most favourites

Dredd
Aliens
The Goonies
Some like it Hot
Kelly's Heroes
Empire Strikes Back
The Lost Boys
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Bill & Ted's bogus Journey 
Deadpool

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

dweezil2

The Thing
Alien
The Terminator
Robocop
Blade Runner
The Empire Strikes Back
Spinal Tap
Airplane
Psycho
Jaws
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
Planet Of The Apes (1968)
Not forgetting our very own Dredd, a film I own, but still watch when it appears on TV or again when it dropped on Netflix.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Legendary Shark

Babylon 5: In the Beginning.
Jaws.
Casablanca.
The City of Lost Children.
The Martian.
Apollo 13.
Deep Impact.
Fargo.
Sin City.
Bram Stoker's Dracula.
the wrath of kahn.

So many to choose from!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Back to the Future
Aliens
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Goodfellas
Halloween
Scrooged

broodblik

Groundhog Day - one off the few comedies which I can watch a few times

sintec

Tromeo & Juliet
Evil Dead 2 & 3
Reanimator
Tremors
Videodrome
Starship Troopers

TordelBack

I'm interpreting the brief to include "if it's on I am compelled to watch it and never get bored". You'll note the extreme 'born in 1971' bias, and the fact that I'm basic, but:

Jaws
Raiders
Star Wars
Empire
Bad Santa
Princess Bride
Shawkshank
Groundhog Day
Ghostbusters
The Devils
Muppet Christmas Carol
Apollo 13
Children of Men
Trading Places
Life of Brian
Zootropolis
Flash Gordon
Deep Impact
Jean de Florette
Tremors
Predator 1 & 2
Brazil
Joe versus the Volcano
Apocalypto

pictsy

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 January, 2021, 03:37:03 AM
Inspired by the idea (over on the Last Movie Watched thread) that a top list of movies doesn't need to consider quality when instead it can consider enduring longevity, I wanted to think about those movies that you watch again and again. Maybe they're those movies that, even if you happen upon them, you're stuck for the duration, unable to tear yourself away.

I'm assuming it was my top ten favourite movie list explanation that inspired this, if so it's really cool to see this thread and so many responses already.  If it's not then it's still really cool to see this thread and so many responses already. ;)

My work in progress list includes:

Groundhog day
Big Trouble in Little China
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Patlabor

I'm considering:

Predator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Cypher

Won't make it on the list, but I enjoy rewatching:

Ghosts of Mars

There are a load of films I really love to go back to, but I think this list is what currently sticks out in my mind.

Tiplodocus

For starters...
Star Trek.
Star Wars.
Bond.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sintec

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 January, 2021, 12:15:39 PM
The Devils

It's been far too long since I've wathced that masterpiece - must rectify

Funt Solo

Quote from: pictsy on 08 January, 2021, 02:18:16 PM
I'm assuming it was my top ten favourite movie list explanation that inspired this...

It was - and reminded me of my cabin list, because the remit was "you want to watch it" rather than "academically, it's provably great, but do I really have the time"?

Like, Schindler's List isn't on my list. Nor is Citizen Kane, or Metropolis. Even movies that I really rate but have a particularly skippable scene (say, the warg-riding goblins in Two Towers) drop it off the list. Or mood movies: I love Amelie and Glengarry Glen Ross, but I need to be in the right frame of mind to pull those off the shelf.

---

The other lists are showing up the gaps in my experience - which is giving me a whole new watch list. Great!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++