Main Menu

HMV Death

Started by BPP, 10 January, 2013, 04:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Sadly (and sadly a week too late for Dredd DVD) it looks like HMV is about to kick the bucket with a large death-rattle sale tomorrow (friday 11th). One near here  has 2000AD tshirts, the Dredd Soundtrack and (if you ask) might have the DVD in.

Sorry if anyone has friends or family work for them.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Professor Bear

I am shocked that a high street retailer that sells things at twice the price they cost everywhere else has had financial difficulty in the middle of a recession.

A shame for those that work there, and I mean that sincerely based on my experiences of the Belfast branch, because I am reasonably certain those people could never get a job anywhere else.

JamesC

HMV is an awful shop and it's run by awful, idiotic incompetents if my friend that works there is to be believed.
I'm sure he'll end up getting a job somewhere else which is probably the best thing that could happen to him. 

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 10 January, 2013, 05:06:00 PMI am shocked that a high street retailer that sells things at twice the price they cost everywhere else has had financial difficulty in the middle of a recession.
Everywhere else? Last time I was in an HMV, its prices seemed reasonable, and similar to supermarkets. It certainly wasn't as cheap as Amazon, but then that's probably because HMV has overheads, pays taxes and at least aims to make a profit, rather than only caring about breaking even.

Richmond Clements

QuoteEverywhere else?

Pretty much, yeah. Last time I was there (last Saturday) they were selling 3 or 4 year old Doctor Who dvds for £20. And didn't appear to have The Amazing Spider-man in stock.

COMMANDO FORCES

Inevitable but people do love a bargain and that's what the web provides. Saying that though, I made a conscious effort to buy all my Christmas gifts in town this time and succeeded. I even bought 2 CDs from HMV.

Large48

HMV almost went bust this time last year as well............
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Spikes

Quote from: BPP on 10 January, 2013, 04:56:36 PM
Sadly (and sadly a week too late for Dredd DVD) it looks like HMV is about to kick the bucket with a large death-rattle sale tomorrow (friday 11th). One near here  has 2000AD tshirts, the Dredd Soundtrack and (if you ask) might have the DVD in.

Sorry if anyone has friends or family work for them.

Popped into HMV yesterday to quickly spend my vouchers, and a shop assistant was tearing off the price stickers on practically everything and replacing them with a 'sale' one.
Quite sad if it does close - not least for the staff, and i can sympathise as my own job is looking increasingly shakey,  and while it may be true that you can get cheaper stuff online, nowt beats being able to physically look through stuff and finding the unexpected gems.

Steve Green

Month long 25% blue cross sale according to the BBC site. HMV claiming nothing untoward...

radiator

I was in HMV on Sunday and I saw the blue cross stickers everywhere but there was no indication what the stickers actually meant.

May pop in over the weekend to try and grab a bargain or two.

Link Prime

I'd be quite a regular HMV customer, and have found some great bargains there over the years.
Having said that, I do a lot of online shopping too (preferring Play.coms free shipping & in-Euro prices over Amazon).
Echoing some posts above, I'll miss it if it goes (as I do Virgin & Game etc), even just for the ability to pop in for a browse while waiting to drive Miss Daisy home.
Any outcome that limits consumer choice is not a good thing IMO, and who's to say online prices won't increase in the future if there's absolutly no high street competition?

Anyway...anyone heard if there will be sales in any ROI stores this weekend? Like Judge Jack, I've got some vouchers to get rid of.

radiator

Quotepreferring Play.coms free shipping & in-Euro prices over Amazon

Play.com are shutting down too.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 10 January, 2013, 06:44:12 PM
Quotepreferring Play.coms free shipping & in-Euro prices over Amazon

Play.com are shutting down too.

Ah FFS, the unrelenting-Unicron-sized Amazon will only have car boot sales as direct competition by this time next year.

opaque

Play aren't shutting down as such just not selling products themselves, only acting as the marketplace and taking money that way like Ebay.
Not a surprise really, been going that way since they were taken over. Play is the only company I've had problems with identity theft and a bad response to it too.

I'd be surprised if HMV goes down just yet as it's investors are rather keen not to lose all of their money. Maybe go online only with small shops selling just the charts?
They really do need to sort out their pricing in shops though as it's getting ridiculous with some things.

radiator

QuotePlay aren't shutting down as such just not selling products themselves, only acting as the marketplace and taking money that way like Ebay.

Yeah, and I'm sure that will go really well for them.

To be fair, Play.com has been killed by the closing of a tax loophole rather than competition.