Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Yeah season Prog (2212) has a double letters page and adoring it are a selection of photos. I could offer to take photos later, or would you prefer to wait until it lands for more folks and / or yourself?

ming

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 December, 2020, 08:51:36 AM
Yeah season Prog (2212) has a double letters page and adoring it are a selection of photos. I could offer to take photos later, or would you prefer to wait until it lands for more folks and / or yourself?

Thanks, Colin - great to hear that the annual Lego round-up continues (I forget how many years this has featured now but I feel duty-bound to continue it while I can).  Once the Prog starts to land more widely it'd be great to see what's in there so feel free to post up the letter if you like - then I can start boring you all senseless with images of how Torque has progressed this year.

Colin YNWA

Cool I'll wait until say Friday and then get it done.

Quote from: ming on 15 December, 2020, 09:05:42 AM
- then I can start boring you all senseless with images of how Torque has progressed this year.

Oh I think you know there'll be no boredom we are hungry HUNGRY for this type of stuff.

ming

I'll post a few progress shots in due course but in the meantime, here's something that I obviously couldn't get in the letters page...  (Thanks to Funt for the .gif hosting pointers.)  There's more to the build than this but I find this pleasantly mesmerising.

Colin YNWA

Can someone collect my jaw - it just hit the ground. I mean yes I've seen the pictures in the Prog but Jez that is really something!

IndigoPrime

Nutter.

(Also: can you imagine how much that'd cost in real bricks?)

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 December, 2020, 09:57:23 AM

We'll simply increase the tax on freckled pipil.

Great stuff Ming.

ming

Nutter.

Yes, quite.  In my defence it wasn't my idea, I just rolled with it.  I didn't set out intending to do it at this scale but attempting to build certain elements early on made it clear that I'd have to go big or go home.  It's a ridiculous thing to attempt but this seemed like a good year to have a crack at it.

There was never any question of building this 'in the real' which was quite liberating - I have no idea how tall this would be once completed (the missus thinks I should at least build the head but I have no intention of doing that; I might be a nutter but I'm not crazy).

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 December, 2020, 11:55:23 AM

We'll simply increase the tax on freckled pipil.

Great stuff Ming.

Thanks, Link - progress is intermittent but I'll get back on the Lego wagon in the new year I guess.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 15 December, 2020, 02:15:23 PM
There was never any question of building this 'in the real' which was quite liberating - I have no idea how tall this would be once completed (the missus thinks I should at least build the head but I have no intention of doing that; I might be a nutter but I'm not crazy).

Oh go on. Go on, go on, go on, go on.

Go on.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ming

Some progress pics here and some random rambling about this part of the build below.

Taking this back to the beginning...  Late in 2019 a friend mentioned the idea of building a Lego Torque-armada and, as a change of pace from the Brickheadz-style figures, I thought it might be fun to have a go.  I started working from a limited number of O'Neill's original images for reference and it was clear early on that this was going to be insane.  Size-wise, I just didn't think I'd be able to do this justice in a small build.  I usually break Lego builds down into bite-size, manageable chunks but the sheer scale necessitated by Torque was unlike anything I'd ever even considered.  I started with the Terminator design on the chest, as I felt I needed to get that right before moving on to anything else - it seemed like a bit of a focal point and if I wasn't happy with that element I'd struggle to move on happily.  The first image was just a test to see if I could get the design right-ish but, extrapolating from that, also gave an idea of the scale of the rest... Yikes.

The next step was to try and get the head sorted.  I've said it before but so much of the character is locked up there that if I can't get the head right I may as well give up.  Doing Pointy in Lego is never very easy but at least the scale offered a few benefits here.  Finding a way to get all the pointy bits to converge and fit together wasn't easy but worked out in the end, I think (and was a lot easier than some later bits).  The eyes worked out okay without too much effort, and the expression is close to what I was looking for; as soon as I'd done the eyes I felt I might actually manage to pull this off.

The nose cannons had me stumped for a while but Feliks (11) came up with the solution so those are entirely down to him.  Using Minifigs as the nose gunners was fun and in keeping with the scale of the thing.  The pipes and tubes in the lower part of the head were always going to be problematic; very asymmetrical and organic-looking O'Neill design that I could *maybe* replicate in Lego given a hundred years.  As it was, I didn't want to get bogged down in one element for too long so simplified the design while trying to at least give some texture and get a point for effort (and save five sanity points).

More to come in due course (sorry).

I, Cosh

We never really die.

ming

Quote from: I, Cosh on 18 December, 2020, 09:25:01 AM
Incredible stuff!

Thanks, Cosh!  I've chipped away at this now and again, an hour here and there, over the course of a weird year.  It's been a welcome occasional distraction but I've not gone mad over it - I've spent a lot more time doing linocuts and got some science done along the way, so it's all good.  I'll keep going and see where I can get by next Christmas - maybe the feet.... maybe.

broodblik

ming that is awesome, saw your work in the letters page as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01