Main Menu

I'm gonna read them all...

Started by Bongo_clive, 18 March, 2014, 06:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bongo_clive

Well, Hell Trekkers is getting good, Dredd is doing just fine, Rogue Trooper ended with a bit of an anti climax (although I've just seen that he's due to return soon), and Stainless Steel Rat is chugging along.

Have to say though, ACE Trucking Company is not my cup of tea at all. Found I'm skipping almost all of it. Can't put my finger on it, but I'm finding it very dull and difficult to get into.

Frank

When my pal was trying to recruit me to 2000ad, his pitch was based on how great Ace Trucking was. I enjoyed individual parts of it, but it never fully clicked with me either. Same goes for Hell Trekkers, which was originally scheduled to run in the aborted first attempt to get The Judge Dredd Megazine off the ground, as was the excellent Bad Company.

You'd better get used to those Rogue Trooper announcements; the strip's been coming back for the last 25 years, usually with an exciting new direction and creative team, and an injunction to forget whatever the last lot did.

ZenArcade

The early Ace Trucker strip was amazingly funny...the latter storylines wern't as good but I still have a soft spot for old Rooster! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Skullmo

Quote from: sauchie on 04 April, 2014, 07:05:14 PM

When my pal was trying to recruit me to 2000ad, his pitch was based on how great Ace Trucking was. I enjoyed individual parts of it, but it never fully clicked with me either. Same goes for Hell Trekkers, which was originally scheduled to run in the aborted first attempt to get The Judge Dredd Megazine off the ground, as was the excellent Bad Company.

You'd better get used to those Rogue Trooper announcements; the strip's been coming back for the last 25 years, usually with an exciting new direction and creative team, and an injunction to forget whatever the last lot did.

The bad company that saw print had little to do (other than name) with the Grant/Wagner/Ezquerra original!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Magnetica

Quote from: Bongo_clive on 04 April, 2014, 06:41:16 PM
Well, Hell Trekkers is getting good, Dredd is doing just fine, Rogue Trooper ended with a bit of an anti climax (although I've just seen that he's due to return soon), and Stainless Steel Rat is chugging along.

Have to say though, ACE Trucking Company is not my cup of tea at all. Found I'm skipping almost all of it. Can't put my finger on it, but I'm finding it very dull and difficult to get into.

I always loved the Stainless Steel Rat and Ace Trucking. Both were good fun and had great art by Carlos and Massimo respectively.

On the back of the 2000AD serialisation I went and bought all the SSR books, which were great and well worth a read, although I never could get on with the fact that the slippery Jim on the covers of those looked nothing like Carlos' version (black hair I ask you!!!)

The last series of Ace Trucking was one too far though in my opinion. The format had totally changed at that point and it just didn't have the same feel. I seem to remember reading that Wagner & Grant had wanted to end it earlier and hadn't really wanted to do the last series.

As for Hell Trekkers...sorry never liked it.

Hawkmumbler

I'd kill for a copy of Ace Trucking volume 1. Really want to read that series.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 April, 2014, 11:55:55 AM
The last series of Ace Trucking was one too far though in my opinion. The format had totally changed at that point and it just didn't have the same feel. I seem to remember reading that Wagner & Grant had wanted to end it earlier and hadn't really wanted to do the last series.
Interestingly (or not), while I always liked the early Ace Trucking stuff, when the second case files collection came out I was surprised how much more I enjoyed the last couple of stories and their ever-escalating silliness than I did at the time.

In similar way, I've never much liked Robo-Hunter (I think it's the only story released in case files format which I haven't bought) but I really enjoyed the Slaying of Slade and the one after when they popped up in EEs a few years ago.
We never really die.

Magnetica

Tjm86

Currently on second prog slog and into the 1200's so passed quite a few of the aforementioned tales by.  I've wondered several times what the true 'Anno Horribilas' was but would place it around the 700 - 900's roughly.  Past 1000 really does see a pick up for my money. 

I did find re-reading some of the early strips quite an eye opener.  Some of the strips were guilty pleasures when I first read them but I guess the tender age of 7 or 8 probably had something to do with that.  Even Starlord which I abandoned tooth for has some cringeworthy moments alongside the absolutely spectacular early Stront and Ro-Busters.

Goosegash

Quote from: robcooknell on 26 March, 2014, 03:07:44 PM
Timehouse was just too childish for the prog for me, although I'll concede it was better than Tao De Moto ("Where did she go? Nowhere in particular!"  "What did she do?  Nothing of any interest whatsoever!"). 

I am however intrigued by this comment:

QuoteI second the view that there are, at worst 2 progs ever with nothing good in them

Which are the 2 progs???  I want to dig them out and have a look!

I remember a good thread on here a few years ago arguing Prog 827 as the absolute lowest of all low points, a notion it's hard to disagree with. It's a perfect storm of shite, a toxic combination of Bradley, Millar's Robohunter, the utterly pointless Kelly's Eye reboot and a truly appalling Future Shock from the unlamented Frances Lynn. On top of that it had the one of the most offensively bad Dredd stories Ennis ever penned.

Just the week after, you had Firekind, Armoured Gideon 2 and new Bad Company all starting. Talk about swings and roundabouts.

smiffy

"Bradley", Mr Goosegash, sir, with respect, did not contribute to the toxicity of any particular prog and Mr Harrison's art was never less than fine. So there.

Goosegash

Oh, I've no problem with Harrison's art, I think his work on Revere was stunning. But I've never understood the appeal of Bradley as a character or a strip. I feel like it's a concept that might've been funnier under a better writer, but MacKenzie just didn't have the comedic chops to pull it off.

Frank

Quote from: Goosegash on 05 April, 2014, 07:31:41 PM
Oh, I've no problem with Harrison's art, I think his work on Revere was stunning. But I've never understood the appeal of Bradley as a character or a strip. I feel like it's a concept that might've been funnier under a better writer, but MacKenzie just didn't have the comedic chops to pull it off.

I love Harrison's art too. His recent interview in the Megazine doesn't suggest he thought highly of the strip or MacKenzie's writing.