Main Menu

IDW Rogue Trooper issue 2

Started by Bat King, 01 April, 2014, 09:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 April, 2014, 02:56:41 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 April, 2014, 02:23:41 PM
Sales must have been pretty dire if IDW won't even publish enough material to fill a trade collection.
It was enough for Judge Dredd: Year One.
Haven't all the Dredd trades so far been four issues?
We never really die.

Recrewt

Quote from: The Cosh on 01 April, 2014, 03:35:30 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 April, 2014, 02:56:41 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 April, 2014, 02:23:41 PM
Sales must have been pretty dire if IDW won't even publish enough material to fill a trade collection.
It was enough for Judge Dredd: Year One.
Haven't all the Dredd trades so far been four issues?
I think so - Dredd volume 1 and 2 were.  So was year one and mars attacks although Mega City two will be a 5 issue collection.  4,5 and 6 issue tpbs are not uncommon.

I think it's more a question of whether IDW will bother releasing a tpb of something that has not sold well from the start.  It would be nice if they did.

Professor Bear

I assumed IDW were going for the 6-issue standard rather than the Marvel Adventures format - my bad.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 April, 2014, 02:26:42 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 01 April, 2014, 02:25:10 PM
If the story just halts... then I'll not be too happy of course

Be in keeping with proper Rogue Trooper tradition, mind...

IDW will explain how this version of Rogue and his buddies meet their ends in a perfunctory, ridiculously compressed, and entirely unheralded one-off story in a Winter Special. Actually, if Chris Weston were to draw that one as well, it would be a must-buy.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 01 April, 2014, 06:37:41 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 01 April, 2014, 02:26:42 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 01 April, 2014, 02:25:10 PM
If the story just halts... then I'll not be too happy of course

Be in keeping with proper Rogue Trooper tradition, mind...

IDW will explain how this version of Rogue and his buddies meet their ends in a perfunctory, ridiculously compressed, and entirely unheralded one-off story in a Winter Special. Actually, if Chris Weston were to draw that one as well, it would be a must-buy.

Not to worry though, I'm sure they'll show up again late on in the adventures of the next iteration of the characters, shortly before falling into a black hole or remembering they're actually older versions of the ones before that, or something.  Onwards!

All this said, I'm going to pick this up. It's only fair to support what has been a fun read so far.

Bat King

I will reiterate.  I am reading & previewing the next 2 issues.

You will see 14 more pages for free on my blog, other review sites are available.

The day after I will be in OK Comics picking up my paper copy.

Preorder next time if you want a series to get a chance. No LCS?

Two Forbidden Planet websites, Travelingman, Disposable Heroes. I can give you OK Comics contact details...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

TordelBack

Quote from: Bat King on 01 April, 2014, 07:01:29 PM
Preorder next time if you want a series to get a chance.

Never, ever, going to happen, I'm afraid.  I haven't had an 'order' for a comic since the one my Mum set up in 1982, and there is no chance that I'm going to change now.  Face it, I'm what's wrong with today's comics reader - I like to buy the things when I see them, as if they were some kind of 'product', rather than a long bet on the Porkbelly futures market. 

Magnetica

Real shame to hear this has been put on hold. Personally I thought issue 1 was way better than any of the IDW Judge Dredds,  which I am continuing to subscribe to even though in my opinion they are no where near the level of the Prog or the Meg - I just can't seem to not buy anything vaguely 2000AD related :)

I forgot to pre-order issue 2 and have been phoning up the Forbidden Planet to see when it will arrive. It was meant to be last week but was delayed. Does any one know if the whole thing being put on hold is the reason?

Magnetica

Just checked the Forbidden Planet website and issue 2 is back up as available to pre-order - until tomorrow. Happy days!!!

By the way Bat King how do you manage to get your copies before they have actually come out?

Bat King

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 April, 2014, 07:25:57 PM
Quote from: Bat King on 01 April, 2014, 07:01:29 PM
Preorder next time if you want a series to get a chance.

Never, ever, going to happen, I'm afraid.  I haven't had an 'order' for a comic since the one my Mum set up in 1982, and there is no chance that I'm going to change now.  Face it, I'm what's wrong with today's comics reader - I like to buy the things when I see them, as if they were some kind of 'product', rather than a long bet on the Porkbelly futures market.

I'm like that with most comics and for most that is fine. Monsterology I pre-ordered for example and I also pre-ordered Death Sentence. Those were the first comics I have pre-ordered, ever. Seems Death Sentence would have survived without me pre-ordering, reviewing or possibly even buying at all. Monsterology needed the attention, not saying mine helped hugely but it did something...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Montynero

EVERY order helps, so thanks for that. Comic shops are hugely influenced on what stock they order by the pre-orders, particularly on things that are brand new.  That in turn effects how many issues are printed. If orders aren't high enough, the distributor won't even bother handling the first issue!!! So if you really want to read a comic, pre-ordering is the way to go.

I buy comics when I see them like everyone else. But I also preorder things I definitely want , and it pops through my letterbox before I even realised it was out. Couple of clicks on the page 45 website and it's done. Easy peasy!

TordelBack

Quote from: Montynero on 02 April, 2014, 11:47:49 AM
I buy comics when I see them like everyone else. But I also preorder things I definitely want , and it pops through my letterbox before I even realised it was out. Couple of clicks on the page 45 website and it's done. Easy peasy!

I do get the idea, but let's face it, Rogue Trooper could have been utter pants, and the notion of throwing a chunk of money at at least two issues of a comic you've only heard of (because unless I misunderstand the chronology you would have had to order Issue 2 before you even saw Issue 1 to make any difference) seems like quite a leap of faith.  Or at least a larger one than I'm likely to make, sight unseen.