Main Menu

Prog 1876 - Armageddon to Order

Started by JamesC, 05 April, 2014, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Cover: Stonking Sin/Dex cover by Alex Ronald. I really like it.

Droid Life: I rarely find these funny anymore but it doesn't take up much room so I can't begrudge it.

Dredd: Continues in the same vain as the previous couple of weeks - which is to say very well written but a little too dark for my taste. I hope that when the 'bad thing' is finally revealed it lives up to all this build up.

Outlier: I enjoyed this strip but it seems to take itself slightly too seriously. It's all grim and serious and then a man with four gorilla arms turns up. If you're writing a character with gorilla arms have fun with it!

Slaine: Not much happened but it was enjoyable. I like the art in general but just can't get on with the gurning faces.

Sinister Dexter: This was my favourite thing in the prog this week. It's not reinventing the wheel but it's a fast paced, fun adventure and, to me, is just what 2000AD should be. It was a welcome antidote to the other more serious strips this week.

Jaegir: This is a high quality, well written strip and I really like it. The thing that slightly niggles me is that it seems just a little heavy in tone and content for the prog. Rape camps?

All in all, a solid middle of the run prog that doesn't quite live up to the action packed promise of the cover.

ZenArcade

sauchie just posted the Ronald cover on the megathreads page, this guy is really good ( though I liked his Ulysses Sweet cover better). I still haven't gotten around to buying 1875 so I'll have double  the treat this week! Z  :D
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Almost at the heights of last week, but not quite. The big change is alas Slaine which while still on good form seemed to lose its way a little this week. It felt almost disconnected to the story to date which had a nice momentum going for it. Mind still looks glorious.

Jaegir still leaves me cold. Outlier should do the same as the well discussed issue of covering old ground is still very much there, however I'm still really enjoying this one.

Dredd and Sinister Dexter are still gold. I'll give the week to S&D simply 'cos of the lovely exchange between our 'heroes' about how rubbish they'd been and for the simply wonderful cover by Alex Ronald.

JUDGE BURNS

An average prog this week, apart from the cover...wow. It's almost like a movie poster.  Alex Ronald certainly does not dissapoint...we want more!

All stories plodding along again this week and I have to agree that Slaine seems to have lost his way. It's almost as if a chapter has been missed.

Half a letters page only in this prog. the other hald being an advert for the new story in next issue of the Megazine.

leebrown1990

Cover: Cool enough, well done. Just not my style.

Dredd: Great. Ripe with tension and paranoia. Testament to the writing I was thinking "How can this be wrapping up already?" While the twists are fairly obvious and well set up I still didn't see them coming.

Outlier: Again, nothing new but its enjoyable. I think Richardson's art is a little stilted, someone like Harrison would probably lift the story up I feel.

Slaine: Not much too it this week, but great art again.

Sinister Dexter: Decent, pretty much the same as last week but enjoyable all the same.

Jaegir: Cool but looks like it will be getting to the meat of the story next week.

Overall: 4/5 and the top thrill is Dredd.
"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

judgerufian

Liked the cover, good job by Alex Ronald and nice to see yet another artist give Sinister Dexter a different look  ;)

Judge Dredd : Am really enjoying this story, was surprised (but then after thinking about it, should have seen it coming) re the change in persona when the face to face meeting with Max Blixen happened. Looks like next week will be the big reveal as to what the judges are actually up to....this time.

Outlier : Liked the build up and flash back this week though did chuckle at the gorilla arms this week and spider arms last week. Will it become a straight revenge story or have more going for it? Time will tell

Slaine : Oh no, its starting to get as slow as ABC Warriors. As much as I like Simon Davies' artwork, I'm undecided if it is a good fit for this character after 3 weeks which normally doesnt bode well for my enjoyment of a strip. Saying that I will be eating my words if he does a good warp spasm!

Sinister Dexter : Never been my favourite strip but enjoyable enough even if its does seem to be 'road trip adventures of S&D', the big picture storyline has been lost a bit and as they are never in any real danger of being killed off, yet another baddie shoving a gun in their face is not much of a cliffhanger for this type of strip. I am convinced S&D has had the most amount of artists working on it in its history (apart from Dredd).

Jaegir : Grim and gritty and quite a change of pace coming after S&D in the prog running order. Simon Coleby's artwork is very good and there are elements I would like to see explored as for me, the Norts were always the faceless enemy of Rogue Trooper and its interesting to see them fleshed out a bit....even if it is a bit late. Good to see the RT universe still holds interest after all this time.

Spaceghost

I posted this in the prog 1875 thread by mistake, so I'm re-posting here...

The cover is technically good but I just don't think the characters of Sinister and Dexter are very interesting visually.

Loving Dredd at the moment. After the likes of Chaos Day and Titan focusing on a Dredd who is very much a victim of circumstance, struggling against desperate situations, it's been a while since we saw just how nasty and underhanded Justice Department, and Dredd himself, can be. Wagner is back to remind us that Dredd is not always a force for good, but a brutal instrument of the law.

Even though I'm faaar from his biggest fan, Simon Davis' art on Slaine is a big improvement over the work of his predecessor. The story seems fairly straightforward at the moment but it's only 3 episodes in so that could change.

I'm beginning to think that Carcer and Caul in Outlier are the same person, or if not, more closely related than has thus far been revealed. I'm enjoying the story and the art is spot on.

Sinister Dexter isn't as unwelcome as usual with this current run. The dialogue is funny, the satire biting and the situation exciting. I predict that everyone except our protaganists will wind up dead.

How long before we get the cover strapline 'Jaegir Bomb!'? I'm enjoying this so far but I always find myself hoping that Rogue is going to turn up in these Expanded Universe stories. Don't suppose he will. Jaegir is an interesting character and it's cool to see things from the 'baddies' point of view for a change.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

A.Cow

Dredd: This 'Section 7 Secret' thing is really bugging me.

"...about Justice Department.  Something terrible's going on.  The citizens have to be warned.  They have to make them stop!"  "What they're doing, it's wrong.  So wrong ... the Judges can't be allowed to get away with it."

Why would its existence be known to "only the most senior judges"?  What could be so destructive that they're routinely (presumably) lobotomising anybody else in-the-know?

After all, we know what Justice Dept won't sanction (e.g. the mass euthanasia that Francisco vetoed).  I can't see Hershey stepping over that line, nor Dredd going along with anything nasty.

<speculation>
My money is on [spoiler]them selling dead bodies of citizens to alien civilisations as food.  Resyk is unlikely to be back to normal yet, and the city is struggling to get back on its feet financially.  Dredd would see this kind of thing as pragmatic, but the mass population would be up in arms if they found out.[/spoiler]
</speculation>

Trout

Loving that Dredd story, and enjoying Jaegir and Outlier. Beautiful cover, too.

Steve Green

Quote from: A.Cow on 09 April, 2014, 02:24:12 AM
Dredd: This 'Section 7 Secret' thing is really bugging me.

"...about Justice Department.  Something terrible's going on.  The citizens have to be warned.  They have to make them stop!"  "What they're doing, it's wrong.  So wrong ... the Judges can't be allowed to get away with it."

Why would its existence be known to "only the most senior judges"?  What could be so destructive that they're routinely (presumably) lobotomising anybody else in-the-know?

After all, we know what Justice Dept won't sanction (e.g. the mass euthanasia that Francisco vetoed).  I can't see Hershey stepping over that line, nor Dredd going along with anything nasty.

<speculation>
My money is on [spoiler]them selling dead bodies of citizens to alien civilisations as food.  Resyk is unlikely to be back to normal yet, and the city is struggling to get back on its feet financially.  Dredd would see this kind of thing as pragmatic, but the mass population would be up in arms if they found out.[/spoiler]
</speculation>

[spoiler]Interesting - I've been wondering myself, maybe something under the guise of vaccinations against future attacks, even more intrusive monitoring/behaviour control/a biological 'terminate' trigger on every citizen[/spoiler]

Pete Wells

Quote from: Spaceghost on 08 April, 2014, 02:45:11 PM
How long before we get the cover strapline 'Jaegir Bomb!'?

It'll be the title of my covers blog post as soon as we get a Jaegir cover, cheers Spaceghost!

Proudhuff

Cover: Great stuff, nice version of the duo, in fact better than most of the strip artists.

Dredd: Top drawer stuff, dark and menacing I'm hoping this will have some post DoC element to it.

Outlier: Not really setting my heather on fire, art/characters feels too similar to Grety Area for my addled brain to sort out, also some Later/meanwhile/earlier text boxes would help a bit.

Slaine: Look at his Brassica oooher! First Slaine I've enjoyed for years, can't put my finger on why!

Sinister Dexter: Sorry but the low point of the strip, it should have been Tarantino does SAMCRO but it feels like a filler story from ACTION in the 70s.

Jaegir: First equal in this prog. New, dark, breaking new ground and exploring a RT background that feels right. The perfectly crafted art adds to this feeling. 

A fine mix of a prog, two double tops, a twenty and a couple of singles, good darts!
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Is it just me or does the digital prog this week seem a little....pixely?  :-\

I, Cosh

Still doesn't seem to be available on Clickwheel...
We never really die.