Main Menu

PROG 2111 - Welcome to the Thrill-Party!

Started by Leigh S, 08 December, 2018, 11:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

The spiel in the Nerve Centre says it follows on from his battle with the Drune Lords on the Isle of Monadh.

coastguardjackuk

Every year my wife wraps the Christmas Prog up as soon as it arrives , it's a bit of a ritual. We started it when our son was little, when all the presents have been opened I pretend to be really sad that Santa hasn't got it for me. After a minute of them giggling and nudging each other, my final present is produced, usually followed by whoops of (actual,real) joy, a couple of "aah, you guys!" and me finally declaring this to be the "best Christmas ever!" Even though our son is 19 now,  we still do it. Our son really enjoyed the new series of Fiends recently (He read the collected original one evening during the Summer when the internet was down and thought it was great) so, after returning from University and declaring excitement at the imminent start of a new series. Well that was it, the plastic was straight off. Needless to say, I have now read the entire prog (twice actually), but without that to wrap up I've had to give the missus the Megazine.  My verdict? It's totally zarjaz! Merry Christmas to all Squaxx, and especially to Tharg and his minions for another fantastic year!
Building up a nice crust since 1969...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 December, 2018, 12:23:46 AM
Good God, is Skip Trace back already? I've tried to be kind, but this could have been written by the Thrillomatic Random Plot Generator 3000 - multiple scifi tropes combined together in a way we've never seen before. Feels like a writer sitting down and thinking "I have to write a scifi story" rather than a writer who had a story they wanted to tell.

This ^^^

There is a fair bit of this around elsewhere, well known writers often seem to think ' oh I'll write some  "Sci-Fi"... or a GN, then proceed to churn out multiple scifi tropes which are beyond tired. This IMHO is very much what happens with the American IDW(?)Dredd.
DDT did a job on me

The Monarch

it was a treat to see black max being awesome

Sinx

Quote from: The Monarch on 19 December, 2018, 09:48:03 AM
it was a treat to see black max being awesome
Tiernen Trevallion's art is outstanding - he captures character better than pretty much any artist I can think of.
Also it's great to see Chris Weston do a B&W Slaine story with the kind of super detailed art that really had me devouring Slaine back in the day.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Just picked up the Meg (in fact, am in a cab home as I type) and fantastic to see Matt Soffe's name in the credits.

Any idea when we are likely to get the Mind Wars floppy?

SBT

TordelBack

Less than a week to go.  This is the point at which I start getting twitchy, eyeing up the already-wrapped Christmas Prog and wondring wold anyone notice if I unwrapped it fior a quick read and then did it up again... It's especially bad this year, as we had our main family Christmas dinner yesterday (for reasons), with a full set of wired kids, nieces-and nephew beating me black and blue in indoor Rugby League (literally) and Mario Kart (virtually), even though I tiuimphed at Charades plus a few full-houses in the Insensitive In-Law Bingo. On returning home over-full and contented, I reached for my traditional Chistmas Night read... and it was still a week away.

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 December, 2018, 12:57:14 PM
Less than a week to go.  This is the point at which I start getting twitchy, eyeing up the already-wrapped Christmas Prog and wondring wold anyone notice if I unwrapped it fior a quick read and then did it up again... It's especially bad this year, as we had our main family Christmas dinner yesterday (for reasons), with a full set of wired kids, nieces-and nephew beating me black and blue in indoor Rugby League (literally) and Mario Kart (virtually), even though I tiuimphed at Charades plus a few full-houses in the Insensitive In-Law Bingo. On returning home over-full and contented, I reached for my traditional Chistmas Night read... and it was still a week away.

succumb to the prog side................  :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Monarch

you have more patience than i would no way in hell i would ransom my prog like that xd :lol:

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 19 December, 2018, 12:35:21 PM
Just picked up the Meg (in fact, am in a cab home as I type) and fantastic to see Matt Soffe's name in the credits.

Any idea when we are likely to get the Mind Wars floppy?

SBT

And that should have gone in thrnMeg thread. Ah well, that'll be because my dad (who I had just bumped into and shared a cab) was talking to the driver about Brexit and I was earwigging. Sigh.

Prog was aces, as I've said elsewhere.

Merry Christmas, all.

SBT

broodblik

@ SmallBlueThing(Reborn) the question you ask is quite valid I would also like to answer
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

DrJomster

This was rather good!

Very pleased to be treated with so much of Tiernen's art in one go! Just lovely and a great story too. Slaine was very enjoyable, art and story-wise, as was Skip Tracer. The new direction for Durham Red continues to be good, so more of that please. My only slight wobble of late, and I know most people love it, has been Deadworld but I think that's me, not you, so to speak. Overall a great end of year prog indeed!

The only thing I haven't read is Cabs, because I haven't read the previous two stories in the complete collected edition (the reason being I have vol 1 & 2, which don't include those last two stories). But I really want to. I think the answer is to get the complete edition, which will refresh in a couple of months with the last story. I do wonder though whether vol 2 will do the same? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Roll on 2019!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Max Headroom

At the end of 'The Brutania Chronicles' it stated that Slaine would return in 'Dragontamer', but the advert in this X-mas Prog suggests it will be 'The Web Of Weird' when we will see him next. Just wondering which it will be?

Leigh S

Wasnt the Chris Weston story aabout taming a "dragon"?

sheridan

Quote from: norton canes on 13 December, 2018, 02:07:10 PM
And not content with being featured in the most iconic comic panel of all time, Fear now makes a bid to feature in the second best.

I give up - what's the second best panel of all time?