Main Menu

The Rammy V The No-Go Job - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long: Game 04

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 July, 2021, 06:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The Rammy V The No-Go Job  - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long: Game 04

The titanic struggles that will shape the toughest qualifying region continue as we get Games 3 and 4 in the 'Long' Region, these from Group 2

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

The Rammy - more info

Vs

The No-Go Job - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 30th July and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

The Rammy since the No-Go Job features my "favorite" artist
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

The Rammy for me. By the No-Go job the strip is on the slide, plus no Carlos!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

I like both, but as I predict very few will vote for the No-Go Job, I'm going to go for that one!

Dark Jimbo

I liked The No-Go Job far more than I thought I would when I eventually read it... but I didn't love it. The Rammy is great, though. Surprisingly great, considering the strip feels a bit in the doldrums by this point in its history. Really funny; and the court-case framing sequence, which should really make things drag, actually makes it a really distinct and unusual story.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Leigh S

The Rammy for me - it shows that late classic Stront is as strong as any era.

The No-Go Job.... well, I tried to make sense of the plot of this in context of the Final Solution.... and it doesnt - theres a lot of mystery this sets up quite well, but no pay off once you think about it in respect of how TFS plays out  (How even are there bones of Malak Brood? Why does the Bishop have them and not Charn-El (surely it should be the bones of NBK, which still doesnt make sense, but...)

Funt Solo

The No-Go Job (which gets my vote) lit a fire under the strip after it had been coasting for a while - arguably, ever since Rage. The use of a new artist was part of it, but the job itself spoke to something different. (That the difference turned out to be, unfortunately, The Final Solution, is neither here nor there.)

The Rammy felt like a remix of a remix, in that it repeated the general idea of The Big Bust of 49, itself a retread of The Killing.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman

The Rammy is a poor man's 'The Killing' but good fun and gets my vote for some top Middenface action.

Magnetica

Quote from: Buttonman on 27 July, 2021, 08:43:56 PM
The Rammy is a poor man's 'The Killing' but good fun and gets my vote for some top Middenface action.

Yes it is, but McNulty is hilarious throughout.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Rogue Judge

The Rammy all the way! Another favorite, it follows the successful formula of the Killing but is different and strong enough to stand on its own. And Middenface is fantastic! He's no better or worse a partner thank Wulf,  just different.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

Just today to go and this one has been a little quiet - or maybe these votes have just found their level? Either way pop a vote in today and before tomorrow morning and it will count.

So me this one is easy as I go into the camp that has Mark Harrison's art marked (on pun and all that) a time that Strontium Dog tried to shake itself up from a rut of okay, solid stories, but ones that took the strip nowhere. The Rammy is an example of just those stories its... fine... on that basis:

The No-go Job

AlexF

I take the point about the Rammy coasting on old ideas, but they're so well done, and McNulty is at the height of his comic powers so it's still a great story. Whereas NoGo Job had too many tired dog jokes. (Although Simon Harrison's rendering of said dog was indescribably and gloriously weird).
The Rammy, your Jameship.