Main Menu

The Royal Affair V Kid Knee Caper - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long: Game 05

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 July, 2021, 07:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The Royal Affair V Kid Knee Caper  - Bolt-01 Cup - Qualifying - Long: Game 05

Well since we've fitted all the games in this week I might as well get ahead on the Region with the most games to get through. So two games from the final group in the Long Region as we play matches 5 and 6 there.

All you need do is vote for your favourite between:

The Royal Affair - more info

Vs

The Kid-Knee Caper - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite of these two stories at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easy) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Monday 2nd August and the winner (I'll count up who gets the most votes basically) gets 3 points towards qualifying... huh...

... there's a spreadsheet to make following easier... if you fancy. If not, don't worry just VOTE!!!!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

The Royal Affair is fine, but from the same mould as The Stone Killers - feeling a bit tired and going-through-the-motions, without the bite of earlier stories.

So The Kid Knee Caper takes it. I'm not massively enamoured of the hunt for the Mutator, and I think a lot more could have been done with a shape-shifting villian; but this is one of only two stories to feature the titular stront, after all, and he certainly makes an impression in his short time with us.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Funt Solo

I loathe the character of Kid Knee (for no discernible reason), so by default it's The Royal Affair for me.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Buttonman

I liked the Crown in the Tesco bag, but Club Card points lost for some on the nose political commentary. Kid Knee for me.

Rogue Judge

The Royal Affair - as I recall there are some great duck puns in this one, thanks to Middenface, and I like a good pun. Overall a memorable story to me for some reason, I liked the mission.

Colin YNWA

A day to go so if you haven't voted pop your vote in today and I'll rustle up a result in the morning.

For me Kid Knee Caper is a significant story. Not just for the eponymous character in the title but for the way it introduces the trope of using a 'case' really as a showcase for another Strontium Dog. The actual bounty hunt being secondary character work (is that a trope???). Royal Affair has an amusing duck. On that basis:

Kid Knee Caper

Colin YNWA

Ohhhh I see what I did yesterday. I voted here not for the Short Region match - what a numb nut - well you still have a day to go on this one so more votes very welcome.

Leigh S

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Kid Knee Caper for sure. Obvs for the Knee himself, but also the Mutator and for sure Odgood the Okay. Wagner/Grant always brings out some ace background oddballs in the best Stront stories.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well that's set the cat amongst the pigeons. The Royal Affair started strong, but Kid Knee pegged it back and left us with our second tie - so this sets up a very interesting set of permutations to come...

Tie

Royal Affair                      1  0
The Kid Knee Caper         1  0
The Big Bust of '49          0  0
The Schicklgruber Grab  0  0