Main Menu

Prog 2164 : The law is a battlefield!

Started by Darren Stephens, 11 January, 2020, 01:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

A good prog wrapped around by a very good cover.

Dredd is just a plain silly concept, but it works so well with the art by Cornwell growing on me as he creates more pages in the prog.

Brink continues from last year doing what it does best a slow burner. We only have a few more episodes left in this arc, but it can just as well run for another 15 weeks.

Proteus Vex allows Flint to use his magic wand and paint is an awesome looking strip. I like they way that Carroll uses the flashbacks to complement the story.

The Zaucer is McCarthy's playground.

The wordplay in Feral & Foe just works so well in the strip.  Dabnett brings us another superb story.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

MumboJimbo

Getting back to reading the prog in a more orthodox front-to-back manner, after my failed experiment of waiting until each story had been concluded. The reason I mention this is that 2000 AD, for me, is at its strongest when each of the 5 contained stories are not only great, but vastly divergent from both artistic and story telling aspects, and the breadth for get for your weekly read must be unparalleled in comics.

Just flicking though the prog at the moment and the sheer diversity in artistic style and colour pallet is breathtaking. And, importantly, the stories themselves are equal to the task.

Neimand's Dredd is as good as his Dredd always is, which is to say superb.

I'm going to have to draw myself an organisational chart for Brink as I'm forgetting who's in Gang and who's in Narcotics and which gang (with a small g) is each department in the pocket of. Great stuff though.

Proteus Vex's world reminds me a little of various cultures rubbing shoulders in an Iain M Banks novel. Very different to anything in the prog since I resubbed and that's a good thing.

Feral and Foe has slight echoes of Firefly in that is takes a sardonic look at the what the ex-soldiers of the defeated army do, after the war. It's certainly lighter in tone than Grey Area and Brink, and I think going forward  it will be light on plot and heavy on gallows humour. As it's Dan Abnett I'm sure it will be great.

Finally, Zaucer of Zilk is the quickest read in the prog, and I was initially worried it may be a insubstantial. But it has a unique charm and reminds me a little of past stories like Sooner or Later or Hewligans's Haircut with its dreamlike whimsy.

Loving the prog at the mo - it's been on fire since Thistlebone, in my opinion.

Fungus

Grand form at the moment, even the worrying F & F turns out to be a fun romp 😀. Z of Z isn't really to my taste and the psychedelia... but in an anthology it's fine.