Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

And great poster too with white background.

COMMANDO FORCES

You used to be able to see the building where the sniper was hiding, as you drove along the A13 into London, until they pulled the factories and buildings down for redevelopment, that is!

Also R. Lee Ermey just add libbed all his abuse from his service days and that's why he looks so bloody good!

Mabs

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 08 September, 2013, 04:07:36 PM
You used to be able to see the building where the sniper was hiding, as you drove along the A13 into London, until they pulled the factories and buildings down for redevelopment, that is!

Also R. Lee Ermey just add libbed all his abuse from his service days and that's why he looks so bloody good!

Yeah I know! I was dead excited when I learnt that they did filming for FMJ in the Docklands (pre-development), as I lived a stones throw away from there at the time. Apparently Kubrick had Palm tree's flown in from the States to build his mini-Vietnam there!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Frank

Fast Five has just appeared on Lovefilm Instant; I've had a wee afternoon walk, I've given the grass its Autumn feed, and now I'm going to put that on in the background while I do the dusting, shove the laundry away in drawers, and make my tea. I've added Sharknado to my reservation list too.

It seems unlikely to me that either of these films is anything other than utter pish, but seemingly intelligent and funny people swear blindly that they're brilliant. This one's on you, Pro Bear and Pops - if these films are as awful as I suspect they are, I'm going to bring your little playhouse down around your ears. Your ears, I say.

Professor Bear

THIS IS BRAZEEEEL!

If you don't know what you're getting going in, you deserve everything you get, much like anyone who keeps watching Batman & Robin after that bit where Batman rollerblades down the back of a dinosaur while Robin crashes into the room through a Robin logo-shaped hole 90 whole seconds after the credits (which feature a Batman logo mounting a Robin logo on the screen in front of you).

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 08 September, 2013, 04:07:36 PMAlso R. Lee Ermey just add libbed all his abuse from his service days and that's why he looks so bloody good!

Yes, but no wonder the Marine Corp fired Mr Ermey if that was the way he went about motivating people.  Hardly a surprise they lost that war with managers like that training the new employees.

Mabs

Just looking at the poster Goaty's posted, it reminded me of one of the funniest scenes in the film when Private Joker explains his decision to a Sargeant for wearing a peace symbol and at the same time, "born to kill" written on his helmet - the duality of man! It makes me laugh everytime I watch it!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JudgeE1M1RT

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 08 September, 2013, 04:07:36 PM

I heard that Ermey was just a military consultant or something until he recorded a tape of himself giving abuse to cast members and showed it to Kubrick.  :lol:

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie on 08 September, 2013, 04:14:36 PM
It seems unlikely to me that either of these films is anything other than utter pish, but seemingly intelligent and funny people swear blindly that they're brilliant.
Not sure where I stand on this continuum but I'm happy to cast a vote in favour of Fast Five and point out that, by comparing the two, you're making the classic mistake of conflating ridiculousness of premise with poverty of execution.

Biff! Pow! Comics aren't just for kids you know.
We never really die.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Mabs on 08 September, 2013, 03:58:27 PM
were it not for Apocalypse Now, this would probably rank as my favourite 'Nam picture of all time!

Where does Platoon come on your 'Nam list Mabs? I haven't seen Casualties of War and barely remember Hamburger Hill.

Mabs

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 08 September, 2013, 06:01:45 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 08 September, 2013, 03:58:27 PM
were it not for Apocalypse Now, this would probably rank as my favourite 'Nam picture of all time!

Where does Platoon come on your 'Nam list Mabs? I haven't seen Casualties of War and barely remember Hamburger Hill.

I would say it's 3rd on my list, mate, after Apocalypse Now (1) and Full Metal Jacket (2). Platoon is an awesome film though, probably Oliver Stone's best film alongside J.F.K, with some powerhouse performances from both Berenger and Defoe. They're like Lucifer and Christ made flesh for our main character, Sheen. Defoe even goes down in one of the films most stirring scenes, arms outstretched like Christ, betrayed by his 'own kind'.  I freaking love that film! But Apocalypse Now and FMJ are just that extra bit special for me. There's almost a surreal feel to both which I love. It captures the soul, the madness of Nam perfectly.

You should definitely check out Casualties of War. Really stirring stuff with a superb performance from Sean Penn. I also love Born on the 4th of July by Oliver Stone, heartbreaking stuff and a brilliant performance from a young Tom Cruise, his best in my opinion. Deer Hunter, another fave - centred more on the effects of Nam on everyone like 4th of July. I haven't watched Hamburger Hill yet though, might catch it soon.

Edit: sorry for the late reply!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

pictsy

I found Hamburger Hill to be extremely dull, especially compared to other Vietnam films.

Theblazeuk

I don't really get on with Apocalypse Now. A movie of good moments and overall dullness in my book; Platoon is the best 'nam movie for me, followed by FMJ.

radiator

Yep, never 'got' Apocalypse Now either - some truly iconic cinematic moments interspersed with looooong sections of  incredibly dull, meandering plodding.

radiator

Re: Fast and the Furious series - yeah, a lot of people seem to like them nowadays. A lot of people also seem to like Jason Statham films (and I believe there's to be some crossover in those arenas). Doesn't mean I'll be watching them any time soon.

Recrewt

Quote from: sauchie on 08 September, 2013, 04:14:36 PM

Fast Five has just appeared on Lovefilm Instant; I've had a wee afternoon walk, I've given the grass its Autumn feed, and now I'm going to put that on in the background while I do the dusting, shove the laundry away in drawers, and make my tea. I've added Sharknado to my reservation list too.

It seems unlikely to me that either of these films is anything other than utter pish, but seemingly intelligent and funny people swear blindly that they're brilliant. This one's on you, Pro Bear and Pops - if these films are as awful as I suspect they are, I'm going to bring your little playhouse down around your ears. Your ears, I say.

Fast Five is a fun action movie.  I think what makes it better than the others (not seen #6 yet though) is that it is not so car obsessed as previous installments.  Yeah, there are still plenty of car stunts in it but it has lost some of the 'Max Power' vibe and has become an enjoyable movie.

In some ways Sharknado is genius - the main issue with all these 'shark' movies is that you are pretty safe as long as you keep out of the water.  So, the writers have to come up with convoluted ways of getting folks back in the sea so the sharks can have a chomp.  Not so with Sharknado, it solves that issue completely - you can be sat in a bar and you're still not safe!