Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 July, 2013, 10:30:36 PM
QuoteIf youz want a square go with Pro Bear, just say so.

He's from Cookstown... Cookstown... I see no threat...

HA-HA-HA! Look at his fuckin' Main Street; the town's one horse must have died of loneliness and ended up on the buffet bar of that "Chinese" restaurant. Please don't google Sauchie.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 July, 2013, 10:30:36 PMHe's for Cookstown... Cookstown... I see no threat...

I only have to be lucky once.

As for "why do people watch bad films?", that kind of presumes they know it is terrible ahead of time, which they can't because people like different things.  I was told Batman & Robin was terrible by pretty much everyone, then I saw it and loved it.  Likewise I was told the Postman was a disaster, but I found it a perfectly alright movie.  Inversely, there's people who think John Carpenter's The Thing is shite - you never know, really, but for every Swamp Shark there is a Sharknado, so it's worth a gamble.

Bobblehead

Well i finally managed to watch 'Now You See Me' last night,it was cheap Tuesday at the local cinema,and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it! Basically its a film about 4 magicians who are brought together by an unknown person and start robbing cash from companys.But they appear to do it during their shows!
  Some clever tricks in it,some with cgi admittidly (but it looked cool) a top cast which included Jesse Eisenberg  (whotalksreallyfastforsomereason) and Morgan Freeman (playing a bit of a sleazy magic de-bunker sort of chap) and some funny moments.Also has a reveal at the end which is one of them that you cant tell folk about or it would ruin the surprise,so i'll keep scthum! :)
The film thinks its cleverer than it actually is,but i'll forgive that because it made me feel a bit cleverer when i figured some of the tricks out lol.
Also its just under 2 hours long,which is actually quite short for a film these days so that was good,and i was hooked the whole time. Go see it before it 'disappears' from your local cinema! :D

von Boom

Quote from: Bobblehead on 24 July, 2013, 10:09:07 AM

Well i finally managed to watch 'Now You See Me' last night,it was cheap Tuesday at the local cinema,and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it! Basically its a film about 4 magicians who are brought together by an unknown person and start robbing cash from companys.But they appear to do it during their shows!
  Some clever tricks in it,some with cgi admittidly (but it looked cool) a top cast which included Jesse Eisenberg  (whotalksreallyfastforsomereason) and Morgan Freeman (playing a bit of a sleazy magic de-bunker sort of chap) and some funny moments.Also has a reveal at the end which is one of them that you cant tell folk about or it would ruin the surprise,so i'll keep scthum! :)
The film thinks its cleverer than it actually is,but i'll forgive that because it made me feel a bit cleverer when i figured some of the tricks out lol.
Also its just under 2 hours long,which is actually quite short for a film these days so that was good,and i was hooked the whole time. Go see it before it 'disappears' from your local cinema! :D

I agree completely. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film. Perhaps I shouldn't have been since I enjoy Hustle so much as well.

willthemightyW

A bit o' the old Ultraviolence with A Clockwork Orange
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Theblazeuk

A bit of the mega-mecha-violence with Pacific Rim.

So. Much. Fun.

I would happily spend another 3-30 hours in this world of Jagers v Kaiju. I'm just sad that some characters go the way of all things before they get a chance to show their stuff.

Mabs

Quote from: willthemightyW on 25 July, 2013, 01:34:05 AM
A bit o' the old Ultraviolence with A Clockwork Orange

That is an unequivocal masterpiece my brothers.

As for me, I watched The Rise of The Planet of the Apes. Long title, but a brilliant film. Andy Serkis' Caesar was jawdroppingly good and James Franco was also excellent. The human vs apes fight atop the Golden Gate Bridge was the standout. Great stuff.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Charlie boy

Still haven't seen Rise; they had it for £2 in HMV recently but it would have meant joining a big old queue just to pick it up. When my mate seen it on the pictures he told me how good it was before ending something along the lines with "It's definitely the best Plant of... since the original" but to be fair, that's not saying so much.

Colin YNWA

Big fan of 'Rise of' (name aside) its far from a perfect film but its such a rollicking good ride who cares!

Professor Bear

Ra One, a Bollywood superhero film about a nerdy dad who tries to reach out to his kid by designing his company's next big videogame release around the premise of an unbeatable antagonist - who promptly escapes the game Virtuality-style and the only thing standing in his way is the game's considerably less powerful protagonist.
I suspect you can either tolerate Bollywood films and their arbitrary musical and dance numbers or you find them unbearable, but if the latter is the case you'd miss out on some genuinely impressive visuals like the Terminator-style chase through London or the Dragonball-style mid-air fireball exchanges, while the runaway train sequence is a hoot with some neat touches you can expect to see appearing a western movie sooner or later.  The quality of the FX across the movie is variable, the stuntwork being better than the CGI and green screen bits, there's an odd subplot at the start of the movie that makes the child protagonist look like he's bullying a fat kid, a lot of the characters are caricatures, and it's about a half hour too long even by the bloated standards of the modern western superflick.  Although expensive by Bollywood standards, this cost peanuts to make by the standards of the average western superhero movie, so it's strange to see that this manages much better to convey a sense of scale than something like Man of Steel, and while there's nowhere near the scale of the destruction of the finale of MoS, Ra One's finale will look oddly familiar to anyone who's seen both movies (though this came out 2 years before MoS), as will a great deal of the "powerful outsider" text and kindly advice passed down from a dead dad storytelling, though both are handled much better here despite the aforementioned use of caricature, and I think in examining the role of religion on such a character Ra One comes off as less gutless, as the central character takes the good from scripture - mercy, forgiveness, community - and leaves the bad.
A couple of the deaths surprised me, but otherwise it's a goofy, fun movie that takes itself seriously enough to maintain a sense of danger for the characters, and while I would say on balance that it isn't a classic, there is a heck of a lot to like about it and it is well worth a look.

Mabs

Quote from: Charlie boy on 25 July, 2013, 03:54:00 PM
Still haven't seen Rise; they had it for £2 in HMV recently but it would have meant joining a big old queue just to pick it up. When my mate seen it on the pictures he told me how good it was before ending something along the lines with "It's definitely the best Plant of... since the original" but to be fair, that's not saying so much.

You saw it for £2? Damn. I'd get back into HMV a.s.a.p and get it if I was you, regardless of the queue (provided they still have it on offer of course!).

@Professor Bear; I heard of Ra One when it came out but didn't get the chance to watch it. It did make a bit of a stir because it was supposedly Bollywood's first superhero film (it's not, there've been quite a few superhero flicks in the past, the 80's one especially were quite fun. They even had an Indian version of Superman with the wire/rope work visible on screen and I doubt Warner would've been too pleased as they made it without permission!). But judging by your review, I think I might track a copy down!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Definitely Not Mister Pops

If someone had recommended a Bollywood movie to me a few years ago, I probably would've just ignored them. But in the past decade or so, Bollywood has made some excellent action movies. Films like Dhoom 1&2 and Enthiran the Robot. The song and dance numbers aren't always unbearable, sometimes they're actually quite impressive and clever. Having said that, one thing that does bug me about the Bollywood movies I've seen, is the way they introduce characters with several quick cuts, in slow motion, with a wind machine, so it looks like a feckin' Laboratoire Garnier commercial.

Haven't heard of this Ra One, so I might give it a go.
You may quote me on that.

Mabs

You should also check out some of the bollywood horror films, Mister Pops. There was one on Channel 4 a while ago called 'Bhoot'. And it was pretty fucking scary!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Charlie boy

Salt
One of the greatest silly films I have ever stumbled upon by chance.
CIA operative Evelyn Salt (Angelina Jolie) is accused of being a Russian sleeper agent. She's willing to be questioned about it until she finds out her husband has disappeared, so she turns a fire extinguisher into a one-shot-grenade-launcher-of-sorts to get by the special forces squad and escape the building to go looking for him. Every second or third scene following this is a car chase or a martial arts fight to loud electric guitars. In one scene set in a church in New York, a CIA operative says how many special agents etc are there and says "If Salt is going to try anything here now, it'll have to be pretty amazing..." Cue shot of Salt running through the underground with steam coming from all the pipes around her as she takes down armed professionals with ease. At one point I actually thought "I hope this film is supposed to be pretty silly..." only for the next big scene to be Salt, handcuffed in the back of a police car. [spoiler]She's already pushed the policeman to either side of her out of the moving vehicle and tasered the driver. If she wants the car to accelerate, she tasers him again so his leg shoots out and presses down on the pedal. This is while she's driving the vehicle by pressing the policeman's body against the steering wheel.[/spoiler] You later have Salt running about the White House dressed as a male solider.
I read not too long ago- by chance- Salt was intended to be a franchise. After seeing this, I have no idea why it isn't. I'd happily watch a Salt sequel (once it makes it to Film4 or whatever).

Professor Bear

Salt was originally written as a Tom Cruise vehicle, which is why it has the main character being roughed up and chased around a lot by The Man.  Cruise pulled out cough because he thought it was a bit too much like a Tom Cruise vehicle, so they literally just swapped the gender of the main character so they could cast Jolie because she was available a name draw.

The Asylum's Sherlock Holmes, a mockbuster cash-in on the Guy Richie movie.
The plot starts off in the usual manner as Holmes and Watson investigate a straightforward Kraken attack, but a Tyrannosaurus Rex killing spree in the East End leads them to the door of Spring-Heeled Jack and events culminate with Sherlock flying a steampunk helicopter into battle over London against a fire-breathing robot dragon being piloted by his evil brother who is now a steam-powered cyborg with the strength of ten men, whilst outside Buckingham Palace, Watson engages in fisticuffs with a sexy robot suicide bomber on a mission to kill the queen.
It's about 20 minutes too long and generally falls into that category of film "not as good as the title/premise sounds" of which the Asylum seems determined to corner the market, its main failings being padded-out sequences like the cliff-hanging and the running-around-the-park bits, a weak central performance from the actor who plays Holmes and duff FX, otherwise it's just not very good in that way Asylum films usually aren't, which is a shame as in taking the route of seeming to meld multiple Arthur Conan Doyle universes together, it could have been a genuinely fresh take on the characters.  As it is, it's missable, though I did like the occasional take on the material such as Holmes' unspoken respect for LeStrade that's usually missing from adaptations, and "who would remember a detective called Robert Holmes?" is just the right kind of throwaway retconning.