Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 March, 2012, 11:15:52 PM
CLASH OF THE TITANS (1981)

What's the remake like?

It's like watching your parents having sex. You know this kind of thing goes on, but it's something you really don't need to see.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 March, 2012, 11:18:36 PM

What's the remake like?

It's like watching your parents having sex. You know this kind of thing goes on, but it's something you really don't need to see.

You're really selling this, aren't you.

judgefloyd

The Clash of the Titans remake is nowhere near as bad as seeing my parents have sex (more to the point, nowhere near as bad as thinking about that) but it's pretty uninspiring.  Worthington could be a great action actor but he needs a better movie  than this.

Professor Bear

I thought the Clash remake was fine, but lacked the charm of the original and arguably didn't do itself any favours with that scene where they're picking their weapons and they all at the clockwork owl from the original and are all like "what is that fucking thing?  It's totally stupid and we will now laugh at it."  That seemed an unwise stance to take, even leaving aside that the owl appears without any kind of context.  There is also rather too much of stuff coming towards the viewer - I know all that was necessary for the 3d gimmick in the cinema, but if you're watching at home it gets old really quick.

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 March, 2012, 11:18:36 PM

What's the remake like?

It was Granny Pants..... 

Id add that everyone else in the film looks like they need a good wash and look, well sort of Ancient Greek.  Worthington wanders about with crew cut clean and a bit american.  He just looks like he swanned out of Avatar into this film, without a break in filming.  In fact almost like they just changed the backdrop.  He looks like a squaddie in ancient greece and acts as wooden as one as well!
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

GordyM

I suspect they just took some Avatar footage of Worthington and overlaid a different background on the green screen.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

radiator

Finished watching series 2 of Community, and now I'm re-watching series 1. Just a monumentally good show, and one that actually improves on second viewing. Some of the jokes and scenarios are so inspired that I'm genuinely staggered by their cleverness. I can't believe they did an entire episode in stop motion animation!

Roger Godpleton

Stop Britta'ing the movie thread with TV reviews.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

HOO-HAA

Just finished watching indie horror/ thriller, BURNING BRIGHT.

Great wee flick.

Think Laymon-style final girl slasher with our heroine trapped in a remote farmhouse. Only instead of a Jasonesque boogeyman stalking her, you've got a big fuck off tiger. And instead of our heroine's disposable sidekick(s), you've got her twelve year old autistic brother.

I really enjoyed it. Very tense movie with some great acting.

Definitely recommended.

Hoagy

Quote from: radiator on 29 March, 2012, 10:56:19 PM
Finished watching series 2 of Community, and now I'm re-watching series 1. Just a monumentally good show, and one that actually improves on second viewing. Some of the jokes and scenarios are so inspired that I'm genuinely staggered by their cleverness. I can't believe they did an entire episode in stop motion animation!

My favourite part of each episode of Comm S1 are the post script bits unattached to any of the plots. Chevy really finds his stride in it too.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Beeks

I just watched

'We Need To Talk About Kevin'

Real Dark and thought provoking..great film..uncomfortable watch though

My Mrs has read the book but said it was a fair adaption
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Adrian Bamforth

Have just watched The Hunger Games, and agree with the comment that it had absolutely nothing to say at all...

[spoiler]Not only that, but even a message as simple as 'don't make kids fight each other to the death' is undermined by making half the kids suddenly evil and inhuman, like experienced serial killers, just to make it easier for us to watch them die.

In addition, they also have to be seen to be as stupid as Bond villains as they are picked off: "let's sleep under this tree and wait for her to come down" - she didn't even need the nest of genetically engineered killer wasps conveniently placed on the next branch (she didn't seem to notice it for several hours), presumably introduced again to make her less morally tainted as the 'bad' kids, who use blades, and somehow more heroic to us for using such an imaginitive device (hey doesn't that make us as bad as those watching the show?)

The overriding problem is that the film makes no success of conveying why any such future society, who probably spend half their day just getting dressed, and who have access to technology to make anything real via computer - "hey, I've made some wolves" / "Great! Let's put them into the game!" (question: why not use real wolves?) - would embrace such a needless tournament, which doesn't even seem to make good TV; the matter seems to be dealt with purely by putting a few Roman statues about the place. This trip into the future said nothing about anything about society, entertainment or government today, and no adults, apart from the distraught family, show any humanity, however misguided; we are expected to care for the main character simply because she has been placed in an environment of engineered peril.

[/spoiler]

Onlyverysmall

I finally got my hands on "Made", the Jon Favreau/Vince Vaughn followup to the excellent "Swingers", and watched it today.
   I found it a very interesting and engrossing film, but while Vaughn was loveable in Swingers, he comes across as wilfully annoying in this. That aside, it is definately worth watching, but if this will sway anyone, the goodwill for the actors from having seen Swingers does help to give the viewer a more forgiving attitude towards scenes that don't work.
   There were problems in hearing it properly, but that's probably just me, I've had that with many films.

Reading that back, it reads like a D grade gcse essay, sorry.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 01 April, 2012, 11:03:30 PM
Have just watched The Hunger Games, and agree with the comment that it had absolutely nothing to say at all...

The funny thing is, if you look at it as a remake of Battle Royale - which the lawyers say it isn't - then Hunger Games actually works a lot better than as an adaptation of a shallow and unoriginal novel.

Outland.  I'll go to bat for Peter Hyams as being a terribly underrated director - I'll even lend my voice to the minority opinion that 2010 is more enjoyable than 2001 - but there's a real confusion to some of the visual geography of the battle outside the mining station at the end of this.  Still a good film, mind, but horribly dated in so many ways, even if only in how stilted the body of text used in electronic communications seems to us in the age of emails and text messaging, though possibly if you were a big enough nerd you could pretend it was some kind of space-age telegram or something, as essentially the film is a western in a sci-fi setting.  Could everyone in space really just smoke away like that, though?  I don't mean so much for the amount of oxygen burned up as much as the amount of harmful chemicals this would introduce to a contained atmosphere.  Eh.  Still a good flick.

Colin YNWA

Alien - It's still got it.