Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 07 July, 2012, 08:43:46 PM
David Lloyd said he liked the V movie.

Jordan is unaccountably quite fond of Harvey.

TordelBack

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 07 July, 2012, 08:43:46 PM
David Lloyd said he liked the V movie.

Hey, if you bought me a house, I'd say I liked you.

TordelBack

It'd want to have a swimming pool, mind.

JOE SOAP

Will Blessington Lakes do?

SmallBlueThing

POLTERGEIST II: THE OTHER SIDE

Twenty-six years since i saw it last, still the only thing of note, really, is Julian Beck's turn as the Rev. Henry Kane/Caine, which is just as menacing, horrific and downright terrifying as it had been in my mind this last quarter century. Everything else is mostly a load of toss- tequila monster aside- and lacking in any threat whatsoever. That said, the new audience liked it, though my seven year old was disappointed it wasnt as scary as the first one. The threat of Poltergeist III now looms large, which i might have to schedule for when im out.

SBT

DeFuzzed

I found Cowboys and Aliens massively disappointing. It had Bond and Indy and cowboys and aliens, so many good things, how could it suck, and yet it did.

Shooter, 2007. I'm always surprised Mark Wahlberg gets acting gigs, but he sucked much less than usual here. Still sucked, but less. Danny Glover didn't have the gravitas to pull his part off. Wide-eyed nurse accomplice thing needed to be less wide-eyed. Rhona Mitra, hot but way too highstrung and whispering vehemently and looking around guiltily is not covert (covert peeps, take note). Only good thing was Michael Pena.  But! - it was enough of a dumb action movie that I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

Professor Bear

Wolfhound, a medieval fantasy-ish romp which seems to be Eastern European of some sort - not sure which part, but there's an unmistakeable whiff of communism off this thing.  Not so much in the story, though, which is an episodic and slightly christian fable of one man's celibate quest for rewengay against the man who killed his faddah, and the Conan similarities don't end there but unlike the last Conan outing, this isn't entirely shit.
It somehow works really well even though Conan tried the same kind of stuff and failed (hairy bloke defending a princess needed to bring angry gods back to the world kind of thing), with some of the production work being far superior to the later Conan remake even though that came years later and wasn't made in third world countries.  I also really liked how they do the angry fog with dry ice rather than just throw CGI at the screen.  If you don't mind Conan with a beard and running about forests with a lame bat sidekick - who against all probability is actually quite awesome - then you might get a real kick out of this, but be warned it's 135 minutes long.

Fisticuffs

Saw Apocalypto again last night, have seen it before but the girlfriend hadn't. I know it didn't get the best reviews and there are a few unexplained points in the movie, but for some reason I really enjoy it. The second half of the film is by far the most enjoyable, and I even manage to make myself forget that Mel Gibson made it long enough to enjoy it. :D

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 09 July, 2012, 04:59:24 PM
Saw Apocalypto again last night, have seen it before but the girlfriend hadn't. I know it didn't get the best reviews and there are a few unexplained points in the movie, but for some reason I really enjoy it. The second half of the film is by far the most enjoyable, and I even manage to make myself forget that Mel Gibson made it long enough to enjoy it. :D

Apocalypto is the business (despite it not being shot on film, if it had, that film would have looked just breathtaking), say what you want about the Gibbo (and many people have), but the man is either mad, a genius, or a mad genius, 'cos no-one make movies like he does, and I firmly believe him to be one of the very best directors in the world today, I so hope he puts his recent troubles behind him and gets stuck in to making his long-mooted Viking epic, Bezerker, that would be simply AWESOME...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

judgefloyd

what did you like about Apocalypto, Fisticuffs? I'd like to see it.  I have no trouble separating Gibson's repellent personality (and actual anti-semitism) from his work.  The last thing he did that I liked was that crime-revenge flick - can't remember the title, but it was excellent. 

Beaky Smoochies

Fisticuffs indeed :lol:, love ya mate!  I liked Apocalypto because it was a window into a world long gone, because it was a relentlessly entertaining action movie (which is what it was designed to be), and because it was completely batpoop demented, period... you'll know what I mean when you see it, wired to the moon, it is...

Mel certainly has dropped some clangers in the last few years, and I won't defend what he (supposedly) said in a highly drunken state in 2006, but anti-semitic?  The producer and director of his last film, How I Spent My Summer Vacation, are both Jewish, his manager is Jewish, and many in the film industry (most of whom are likely Jewish, they pretty much own California) have stuck up for Gibson during his recent troubles, and I don't know what's in his heart, but to put it bluntly, I don't believe a word that Joe Eszterhas has said about Gibson recently, he's just pi**ed that Warner Bros and Gibson rejected his allegedly dire script for the Maccabees movie.  That being said, he's done himself no favors by utterly flipping out with Esztehas and that gold-digging floozy he was with for about five minutes, and being caught on tape doing so, it looks bad even if there was a justifiable reason for it, and unfortunately, perception is everything in Hollyweird.  I hope he gets some anger management help, finds his faith again, and for the love of God, quits the booze...

I think that film you're thinking of was Payback, watch the director's cut, it's a whole different film...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

TordelBack

Apocalypto is tremendous, one of the most magnificently over-the-top, and yet simplest, action movies ever made.  The way it conveys how overwhelmed the forest people are by the City by overwhelming the viewer to almost the same degree is remarkable, and the decision to use the Yuctatec Maya language was spot-on in enforcing this strangeness and dislocation.  Even the terribly predictable ending is entirely forgiveable because it's kind of right there in the title and throughout.  Great stuff. 

What a pity that I've completely forgotten who made it, hopefully it wasn't some insane misogynistic bigot 'cos that would be a shame. 

Spaceghost

We are at war with Eurasia. We have always been at war with Eurasia...
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

TordelBack

Thoughtcrime!  Someone needs a trip to Miniluv.