Main Menu

PJ Holden's Dark Secret

Started by Frank, 05 August, 2014, 11:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

You'll never guess what his favourite Dredd story is. I'm with him regarding Cry of the Werewolf, but City of the Damned? Really?

http://www.irishcomicnews.com/2014/08/interview-pj-holden-on-drawing-judge-dredd/

maryanddavid

I'm with him  that City of the Damned is great, I have said it before, Time travel, Zombie Dredd, Vampire Judges, mutant Judge Child, and one of the best Dredd lines ever (on his Bionic eyes) 'My one regret is that I didn't have the operation done years ago' and yes I did dig the prog out ;-)

shaolin_monkey

I bloody love City of the Damned!

JayzusB.Christ

Me too!  It's one of the first mega-epics I can remember properly. Sorry, sauchie, your opinion differs from that of the majority and thus you are wrong.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jon

Is this a new club? Where do I sign?

I too love City of the Damned!

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Trout

It's great, despite John and Alan getting bored halfway through.

The "eyeless in hell" sequence is amazing.

Bat King

The Hell Street Blues... what's not to like???
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

pauljholden

YOU'RE ALL WRONG.

Except for those that agree with me.

-pj

Fungus

Read the post earlier, wonky thing for me was the idea that "THE Dredd was" ... Dillon.
PJ is a greater artist than any of us will ever be, but, y'know, Bolland, McMahon. O'Neill? How long do we have?

The first Dredd that blew me away was "Alone In A Crowd", prime Dillon. Remember it like yesterday. I wasn't in the fold for Judge Death, unfortunately. But the point stands, once you've seen Bolland, etc. there is no going back  :)

Note: I enjoy these differences; someone hates/loves the series you always loved/hated? Makes you think...

Proteus4

I read City of the Damned when i was about 12 and i absolutely loved it.  For me the horror aspect of it, with vampires and a zombie Dredd!!, was brilliant.  I also really loved when they reprinted the episode that got lost of steve dillons artwork - going back to compare the two versions was something i did quite a few times.  I also recently did that with the original progs of 149-151 Judge Death and the recent colour reprint - its amazing how much editing they did on that!

Dave :)
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Proteus4 on 06 August, 2014, 05:43:06 AM
I read City of the Damned when i was about 12 and i absolutely loved it.  For me the horror aspect of it, with vampires and a zombie Dredd!!, was brilliant.  I also really loved when they reprinted the episode that got lost of steve dillons artwork - going back to compare the two versions was something i did quite a few times.  I also recently did that with the original progs of 149-151 Judge Death and the recent colour reprint - its amazing how much editing they did on that!

Dave :)

Yeah, I remember that missing page!  Dredd being pursued by zombie Dredd down hallways and through ruins - lots of long shadows and all that.  Brilliant stuff! 

Yep, it is Dillon that did it for me too.  He's my hands-down favourite Dredd artist of all time, and in no small measure because of City of the Damned.

That said, Gibson's Dredd crawling blind on his hands and knees through the fires of hell is a stand-out moment as well. 

TordelBack

Sauchie is stirring up the sediment again and forcing us in to waters freshly thick with on-topic murk!  Good man!

Quote from: PJH:...the little classics like City of the Damned and the Cry of the Werewolf are a couple of my all time favs...

Happy to acknowledge its many faults, but CotD was the first Dredd epic I read 'live', and I too have a great fondness for it: although it is chock-full of fabulous sequences, they don't really hang together (see also: The Judge Child).  I would find it hard to say that it's my absolute favourite, but I certainly agree with PJ that 'the little classics' are often where it's at.

All this reminds me that 'Dragon's Den', the excellent Rennie-Robinson-Holden Tour of Duty collaboration alluded to in that interview, remains shamefully un-reprinted (along with Ewing's two superb and roughly contemporary Christmas tales): a positively Zragian disgrace! 

The Enigmatic Dr X

City of the Damned is a "damned" fine romp that has everything a growing boy needs.

I think that Dillon's finest hour is Trapper Hag. I remember being really impressed by his cover for that story. Can't remember the number - mid 400s likely.
Lock up your spoons!

ming

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 06 August, 2014, 10:05:02 AM
I think that Dillon's finest hour is Trapper Hag. I remember being really impressed by his cover for that story. Can't remember the number - mid 400s likely.

Prog 307

Original on sale here...
http://artdroids.co.uk/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=4571&ArtistId=649&Details=0&From=Room