Main Menu

prog 2377: Come fry with me!

Started by The Monarch, 06 April, 2024, 12:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

its been a while since we had a generic tharg being tharg cover....seems almost nostalgic. its cliff robinson so you know its good.

Dredd, indigo prime and proteus vex continue on.

full tilt boogie ends book 2 with a tagline that the next book may well be its last. it will be replaced next prog by brink book six so thats exciting

Aquilla returns it feels like an age since we last saw it luckily the nerve centre has a story so far blurb so that was kinda helpful

all in all pretty good prog all round

Le Fink

Tharg vs Thrill Suckers on the cover. Tharg looks strangely happy!

Dredd it's man v beast and Dredd is really feeling his age in this one. I love the art, lots of energy and comic gore. Guera's interpretation of the uniform fine by me. The snowy and underwater scenes are great. A full eagled Judge on the first page looks very similar to Moon which confused me at first.

Full Tilt Boogie sets up the final series. Enjoyed this one more than the first series - looking forward to the finale. This transferred well from Rege*bzzzt*

Aquila returns with a famous character... oh he was a major part of Aquila's backstory? Good grief I need to go back and re-read. Anyway the story starts lively then we have some setup to get us underway. All good. Art superb.

Indigo Prime things are coming to a head as a family connection is revealed. It's been a fun ride. Nice crashy ship splash page.

Proteus Vex is just bloody brilliant isn't it? We've hardly glimpsed the main characters but who cares with the great world building and side-stories and characters. "Balanced treaties and considered negotiation" lol.

Good prog and Brink on the way? Can't wait.

broodblik

Cover by Cliff Robinson and Dylan Teague:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

I always like Cliff Robinson's work, but I don't like Tharg covers, because what is a potential new reader going to make of that? Who would be enticed to pick that up and give it a chance?

A solid Dredd episode, and this artist is really good, I'd happily see more from him.

Glad to see Aquila back. Patrick Goddard is one of my all time favourites. I've forgotten who the witch is though, might have to re-read book one.

I've enjoyed FTB, but it doesn't feel like 11 episodes! Not an awful lot really happened, but it was fun anyway.

I agree with Fink about Proteus Vex. I also liked Blessed's reaction on seeing the spaceship.

Leaving IP for tomorrow.

There's also a Star Scan by Nick Dyer.

Max Headroom

Is this the final story-arc of 'Aquila'? If so, would there potentially be enough material for a second Ultimate Collection edition?

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richard on 06 April, 2024, 06:58:19 PMI always like Cliff Robinson's work, but I don't like Tharg covers, because what is a potential new reader going to make of that? Who would be enticed to pick that up and give it a chance?

I don't think you've asked an unfair question, but I'm wondering if you feel like it's always been unappealing? (Like, Tharg's been doing this sort of thing forever - sometimes with internal stories, sometimes without. His presence on the cover didn't stop me from buying the prog back in the day, so I wonder why it would now?*)

I suppose there's also the counter that it might entice older Squaxx back into the fold by providing some nostalgia. (Not Bish-OP, natch, because he's got a real downer on about Tharg and probably grinds his teeth whenever he sees him.)

*To be fair, it also wasn't a Tharg cover that got me into the prog. The first cover I saw was...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

I'm not saying it would put off existing readers, only people who haven't picked up the prog before. Would someone start with this one? Or prog 722, for that matter?

Funt Solo

Ah, I understand now. Not to talk for the Bish, but I suppose that must have been part of his thinking when he tried to excise the Betelgeusian back in the day. For my part, I've always liked that Tooth has a mad alien editor. Being used to him, I have no idea if he's an attraction for new readers.

The Tharg stories were never really a high point - although the occasional appearance in specials can be a lot of fun - like the time Harry Angel became Zombo Prime and Tharg threatened to kill us if we didn't move onto the next page.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Nicely realised nostalgia cover. I've no idea if Tharg holds any widespread appeal, but I can't imagine that many characters do, frankly. And I don't really want every 2000 AD cover to be Dredd angrily going GRRR at the reader.

Speaking of, Dredd is probably not someone any judge should agree to go on a mission with, judging by the current fiasco. I'm enjoying this story well enough, though. Then Full Tilt Boogie ends well, but with that ominous strap. Returning for a series finale? I hope that means it just wraps up this arc, rather than the whole thing.

Aquila bursts out of the gate with its bloody fury, while Indigo Prime dodders a bit, even if that a full-page ship image is rather lovely. Then another twist of sorts in Proteus Vex, which remains compelling.

In all a very good Prog, and that looks set to continue next week, given that FTB is being swapped out for Brink.

Oh, and the strap on that star scan: let's hope so. But in a manner where Maitland's own cunning and foresight is the source and reason behind the downfall of those who killed her, rather than Dredd's fists.

Barrington Boots

I always have time for a classic Tharg cover (apart from that one with the bongos)

I thought this was a good Prog. Vex is the highlight by some way, but that isn't because the other strips suck. Really enjoying this series of IP and great to see Aquila back: it's looking as terrific as ever.

I also hope that the next series of FTB won't be the last - it feels like it's just getting going, really. What happened to the big floaty head guy in ther heroes ship? We haven't seen him at all this time around, did he get the boot in the last series?
Dredd is action packed and brilliantly executed but still lacks any engagement for me. I expect this will change as the story unfolds a bit. Also I hope this bear chases them for the entire series like an ursine tyrant from RE2.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Heh. That'd be amusing. Eight episodes in and Dredd's getting REALLY annoyed at his inability to shake a giant bear. And Moon's sincerely wishing she'd been a massive show-off so Dredd would have picked someone else. But then: shock twist! By the end, Dredd runs into a bunch of super-secret East-Meggers, planning to invade, but the bear tears through them all. To which the only response from Dredd is to make the bear an honorary judge.

(Why, yes, I have been leafing through 1970s and 1980s Dredd and 2000 AD specials. Why do you ask? :D )

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 April, 2024, 11:03:51 AMthe only response from Dredd is to make the bear an honorary judge.

Dredd: "Bearanismo."
Logan: "Bearanismo?"
Dredd: "My judgement."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I like that cover and also appreciate the Tharg covers. Actually thought it was Boo Cook at first glance.

I'd like to see a similar, religion-themed cover with the caption 'Come fry ...AAGGGHH', but that's why Tharg is Tharg and I'm not.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Late prog review as I read this a couple of days ago. Key things that stood out to me are:

Dredd - its just so okay. Its fine but at the moment just isn't doing anything that we've not seen a hundred time before.

I loved Full Tilt Boogie week to week, but now its ended I kinda think, oh is that all. It'll be interesting how it feels on re-read to see if it holds together. Looking forward to this one coming back.

Fun to have Aquila back - as I recall this will be a last horrah?

Indigo Prime and Proteus Vex remain wonderful AND we get Brink back - result.

Good Prog.