Main Menu

Shaking off two decades' worth of thrillsuckers

Started by Alien Goodness, 12 December, 2011, 10:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alien Goodness

From 1977 I religiously read 2000AD every week and have many warm memories of thrill-power coursing through my circuits. Then around 1991 I was exposed to a nasty infection of thrillsuckers and stopped reading 2000AD regularly. I slumped into a two decade thrill-power coma, only picking up an occasional Prog or Meg once every couple of years or so. Then in 2011 a dormant circuit fired back into life, succeeding in getting me to buy a few issues in a row. It was Inspector Harry Absalom who got me hooked on Tharg's thrill-power again and I took out a digital subscription. Now every Wednesday I login to Clickwheel and download my weekly dose of thrill-power. I love reading 2000AD digitally on my massive monitor as I can zoom in onto the amazing artwork produced by Tharg's droids. Coming across Peter Wells blog on 2000AD covers has also helped me get back into 2000AD.

Emperor

Quote from: Alien Goodness on 12 December, 2011, 10:55:08 PMThen around 1991 I was exposed to a nasty infection of thrillsuckers and stopped reading 2000AD regularly.

The early 90s saw a lot of Squaxx fall by the roadside (I was very close to joining them), it is great to see some of you finding your way back to the Home of Thrills.

Quote from: Alien Goodness on 12 December, 2011, 10:55:08 PMComing across Peter Wells blog on 2000AD covers has also helped me get back into 2000AD.

A notch on the bedpost for Mr Wells there.*

We should keep a track of such things.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Minkyboy

Welcome back Alien.
Absalom is a bit good isn't it?
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard and have fun.

Enjoy catching up. There's 20 years of goodness out there.

Spaceghost

Welcome! Stay a while. Stay...FOREVER! HA HA HA HAAAAAAA!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Alien Goodness

Quote from: Minkyboy on 12 December, 2011, 11:15:47 PM
Welcome back Alien.
Absalom is a bit good isn't it?

Absalom represents everything I loved about 2000AD and its British POV. I don't think Marvel or DC would publish anything like this. I can't wait to see that cranky old b*st*rd return.

TordelBack

Welcome back, Alien Goodness!

Quote from: Alien Goodness on 13 December, 2011, 01:47:37 PMI don't think Marvel or DC would publish anything like this.

Apart from much of the Vertigo line.

Not suggesting that Absalom isn't a quintessentially britcomic/2000AD strip, with Rennie's particular stamp of underplayed nastiness, but I do think the US publishers are equally wise to the appeal of some Lahndahn occultomasonic trenchcoat hardman action.  As long as it's a UK creator at the helm.

Psidude

welcome you have some mega thrill power coming your way have fun :D

Alien Goodness

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 December, 2011, 02:00:02 PM
Welcome back, Alien Goodness!

Quote from: Alien Goodness on 13 December, 2011, 01:47:37 PMI don't think Marvel or DC would publish anything like this.

Apart from much of the Vertigo line.

Not suggesting that Absalom isn't a quintessentially britcomic/2000AD strip, with Rennie's particular stamp of underplayed nastiness, but I do think the US publishers are equally wise to the appeal of some Lahndahn occultomasonic trenchcoat hardman action.  As long as it's a UK creator at the helm.

Now that you've highlighted it, I can see some parallels between Absalom & Constantine.

betel_uk

I hope you haven't been on Titan for 20 years... having your mouth sown up makes munching on mince pies tricky!  :lol:

Welcome!!

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

ICONIC_TM

Greetings All

Got Lost On Earth-120185 Mars I Think, For About 15 Not Sure?

Glad To Be Back Also.