Main Menu

Future Shock Submissions - Response Times

Started by BrandonBarrows, 15 December, 2012, 08:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonBarrows

Hi guys,

Just wondering what other folks' submission response times have been like.

In 2011, I sent in three submissions and heard back anywhere from three weeks (very surprising) to three months (about what I'd expect) but the one I've sent this year is going on close to ten months, I believe, with no response. I haven't sent more because I was under the impression I shouldn't until I hear back.

Now, I'm wondering if I should keep waiting and hope it just hasn't made its way out of the slush pile or assume it's rejected and they either didn't have time to respond or a response was lost somewhere over the Atlantic.

Any thoughts?

The Enigmatic Dr X

The longest time I've suffered between submission and rejection is 19 months. Tharg's a busy man.

Lock up your spoons!

CrazyFoxMachine

I know someone who's been waiting for more than two years. As above, that Tharg has a hell of a pile to shift through!

Danbell

One of mine took six weeks for a response, another took six months!

BrandonBarrows

Well, it's good to know it's not just mine that have seemingly-random response times.

JTurner

Definitely a mix of workload and editorial priorities. I havn't subbed anything for years, but it was very random when I did.

Heath C Ackley

I haven't submitted anything in a while but will probably send something in soon. Things have been a lot busier for Toothy this year what with the film, the anniversary, IDW and what have you. All we can do is be patient and in the meantime, keep our eyes and ears open for opportunities elsewhere.

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

HdE

I've resolved to take a nother crack at the Future Shocks next year. My last attempt at one of those went to Paragon instead (under the title of 'Oil And Water'). I just figured I have so little time to write anything, I wanted to get a script out there rather than risk languishing for a year before getting a rejection letter.

Maybe that sounds very cynical and bitter, but I don't mean any discouragement or disrespect by it.

I have to say, when I was writing that piece under the auspices of submitting to Future Shocks, I learned a great deal about how to prepare something for submission. It's a useful experience, and if you haven't tried it yet, it's certainly worthwhile.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Starkers

I'm glad to hear that it's not just me  :) I think I've sent six or seven submissions in over the last 2/3 years and the response time has varied greatly. With some it's been close to a year for the response, whereas others it's just been a matter of weeks.

In hindsight I had noticed that the ones rejected quickly were, in fairness, not as strong as the ones that seemed to be held onto longer...but this might be me trying to impose some logic on a process that's random and soley related to workload at any given time.

Mr Walter the Wobot

Gweetings all!

I've sent two future shock submissions in the past 3 or 4 months, but throughout 2013 I intend to send as many as I can. I've no idea when or if tharg will reply but, for me, the important thing is to just keep them flowing. hopefully, they'll at least see how keen I am! :)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Mr Walter the Wobot on 19 February, 2013, 09:45:01 PM
Gweetings all!

I've sent two future shock submissions in the past 3 or 4 months, but throughout 2013 I intend to send as many as I can. I've no idea when or if tharg will reply but, for me, the important thing is to just keep them flowing. hopefully, they'll at least see how keen I am! :)

Be ready for a Rigellian Hotshot. Tharg is known not to like multiple submissions.
Lock up your spoons!

HdE

And, just a cautionary note I'll add to that...

'Keen' doesn't really count for a lot in comics, alas. Heck, I know of one guy who has blotted his copybook with more editors, artists and publishers than you could possibly imagine... to the extent that the mere mention of his name cause eyes to roll, mouths to froth, and sometimes drives people to hide under curtains and tables.

But, oh my, was he keen! Wash he EVER keen!

In all seriousness, though - best of luck, Walter! And everybody else.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Professor Bear

If you must send multiple submissions, do so under different names.

I got the impression that the slush pile is a big mess of paper that gets seen "whenever", and I suppose someone editing six comics a month probably has plenty of other things to keep him busy around the office before he goes and makes some unpaid work for himself.  Most companies don't even operate a slush pile anymore, they want you to make the effort to get your work drawn up and then wave that shit under their nose, so give FutureQuake a shout, get something drawn up there and then use that as a 'folio piece.  Don't wait about for it to maybe happen, make it happen.  Get some experience, get some stuff out there.

Bolt-01

Judo

Oh god like a week which is worryingly fast but ha i still stand by my story (Someones gotta lol).  Been too busy writing for fun to get anything else fired off but may come round to it again at some point as I do love a bit of sci-fi horror.  I think its better to spend time on projects you enjoy or with friends than random submissions to a company but still good luck to all that try.  Would love to see more new upcoming writers in the tooth ranks x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.