Main Menu

Rejection

Started by Starkers, 20 October, 2015, 11:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starkers

My latest attempt at a Future Shock hasn't passed muster, yet curiously I'm quite pleased about this, for two reasons.

Firstly because I got the rejection within a month, I'm pretty sure my last one took between 12 and 18 months to come back, so Tharg's new policy of submission windows looks like a great idea (and hopefully means less work for all those put upon droids wading through the slush pile)

And secondly, well because I came up with another idea I actually think works much better just after I'd posted my submission and hopefully I can get that one in before the subs window closes again. Never give up, never surrender!  :lol:

Richmond Clements

That's exactly the right attitude!
It's not a rejection, it's another chance to submit.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 October, 2015, 12:08:35 PM

^ This ^

Keep at it and think about honing your skills in the small press.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CrazyFoxMachine

Thirded!

Chin up, keep rolling on :D The small press have got your back ;)

W. R. Logan

Or try submitting somewhere else.
As Alan Grant once said (paraphrasing slightly) if you're a writer you write for anyone, if you submit just to 2000AD you're a very keen fan.

Hawkmumbler

Keep on trucking, Starkers!

scottinnitus

Like others said - small press.

I've never submitted to 2000ad, but I've only had 1 rejection from small press. Everything else is getting out there slowly.

Keep writing!

Starkers

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 October, 2015, 12:18:18 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 October, 2015, 12:08:35 PM

^ This ^

Keep at it and think about honing your skills in the small press.

I do wonder how many good writers just give up because they can't handle rejections, and how many mediocre ones have basically eventually made it through sheer dogged persistence!  :)

I noticed the other week that the novel which won the Man Booker prize had been rejected 75 times or something daft like that!

I definitely need to look into the small press.

IndigoPrime

Rowling was rejected numerous times. That alone should be enough for people to persevere.

Starkers

^ Stephen King as well.

I recall an interview with James Herbert many years ago. After a publisher snapped up The Rats they asked what else he had and were surprised he didn't have a drawer full of rejected manuscripts!