Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

No, I meant in the sense it was a film whose primary audience was children.

Hawkmumbler

Professor Bear

Batman (1989) - good God, this is absolutely dreadful.  Seriously, quantifiably, point-to-this-bit-and-think-for-a-second terrible to the point I don't know where to start.
Batman has a tool on the front of his bat-plane for catching an exact number of poisonous balloons, which comes in handy when he has to catch that exact number of poisonous balloons near the end, yet this isn't even the ludicrous part - the ludicrous part is that you don't even question why an urban vigilante needs a gunship with military-grade weapons for his war on muggers.  I mean, he has an armored car armed with machine guns and explosives - an actual god-damn tank with a giant penis bisecting the hood - so why not a gunship?
Complete shit.

JamesC

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 18 July, 2013, 05:59:52 PM
Batman (1989) - good God, this is absolutely dreadful.  Seriously, quantifiably, point-to-this-bit-and-think-for-a-second terrible to the point I don't know where to start.
Batman has a tool on the front of his bat-plane for catching an exact number of poisonous balloons, which comes in handy when he has to catch that exact number of poisonous balloons near the end, yet this isn't even the ludicrous part - the ludicrous part is that you don't even question why an urban vigilante needs a gunship with military-grade weapons for his war on muggers.  I mean, he has an armored car armed with machine guns and explosives - an actual god-damn tank with a giant penis bisecting the hood - so why not a gunship?
Complete shit.

I never liked this version of Batman and could never understand why people did like it. I queued up for ages outside the Empire in Great Yarmouth the weekend it came out. I was really excited as I'd been collecting London Edition's Batman Monthly for a while and was really into the character. My first major cinematic disappointment. I really fucking hate the crappy Jack Nicholson cheap gangster version of The Joker too.
I do quite like the Bat vehicle designs but agree they are silly.

ISTR liking the comic adaptation better - it had some nice art and somehow seemed to be paced better.

I don't think I've ever really enjoyed a Tim Burton film to be honest. Planet Of The Apes was okay in a silly B Movie kind of way. Mostly because it had some nice designs and I find Mark Wahlberg and Tim Roth pretty watchable in anything.

Professor Bear

PotA is pulpy fun, but I'm a bit baffled as to Burton's enduring appeal as almost everything he's made has been remarkably terrible.  An hour into Dark Shadows was the first time in my life I've ever wanted to throttle an entire cast with my own two hands.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

My least favourite Tim Burton film is that one with Johnny Depp in it. He plays this pale weirdo with a funny voice. I can't remember its name though.
You may quote me on that.

JamesC

Quote from: Mister Pops on 18 July, 2013, 06:42:05 PM
My least favourite Tim Burton film is that one with Johnny Depp in it. He plays this pale weirdo with a funny voice. I can't remember its name though.

Is that the one with Helena Bonham Carter?

Professor Bear

Yeah, I think he means that one with Helena Bonham Carter in it where every shot looks like it takes place in an elaborate but visibly fake stage set.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: JamesC on 18 July, 2013, 06:43:37 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 18 July, 2013, 06:42:05 PM

Is that the one with Helena Bonham Carter?

That's the one. I hear his next movie will have Johnny Depp starring as Tim Burton, in Tim Burton's Tim Burton.
You may quote me on that.

sheldipez

Tim Burton once made a movie called Beetlejuice. It was good. The end.

I've no idea why people like Michael Bay geta so much shit yet Burton gets away unscathed knocking dross out.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: sheldipez on 18 July, 2013, 07:07:56 PM
Tim Burton once made a movie called Beetlejuice. It was good. The end.

I've no idea why people like Michael Bay geta so much shit yet Burton gets away unscathed knocking dross out.

His risible Alice in Wonderland made $billion, that's why...

But he also made Big Fish - it's good.

JamesC

Quote from: sheldipez on 18 July, 2013, 07:07:56 PM
Tim Burton once made a rubbish unfunny comedy called Beetlejuice. It was rubbish and unfunny but at least it didn't star Johnny Depp. The end.

FTFY!

JamesC

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!