Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerrin

Ohhh, I see. Great colouring job mate.

I should have spotted the sig in the corner. Doh.

Darren Stephens

Big Tony Moore fan. Great colours, Chilipenguin!  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

mygrimmbrother

This thread keeps on delivering slice after slice of fried gold.Here are some recent commissions - characters from Lost. Hope you can tell who they are:

Definitely Not Mister Pops

"Great Ganesh!!"

Cheers Emperor

Here's something else I did once upon a time:

And chillpenguin, that's awesome, keep the lightning
You may quote me on that.

flip-r mk2

A lot of arsome art there peeps ,keep up the good work all.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

chilipenguin

Very nice, Grimm. I particularly like the Hurley piece.

Pops: I've tried to draw Spidey doing the web thwip right at the reader and failed miserably. Yours looks good.

I think I'm pretty much done with this now. Tweaked some of the lighting and added a color hold to the beam. First time I've added a hold to anything and I'm not happy with it. There is still some black in there that I can't seem to get rid of. Anyone have any decent tutorials on using holds in Photoshop?

The Enigmatic Dr X

This thread makes me feel more inadequate than normal. I can't draw for toffee.

I should really stop looking.
Lock up your spoons!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 21 September, 2010, 12:24:38 AM
This thread makes me feel more inadequate than normal. I can't draw for toffee.

I should really stop looking.

I know what you mean, but I persevere anyway, hopefully I'll get some toffee soon (even though I prefer fudge)
You may quote me on that.

staticgirl

chilipenguin

As best I can tell, it's  when you colour the black lineart itself. So in this case, I've coloured the ray gun's beam a kind of greeny-yellow and coloured the black lines containing it to match.

It's usually done to make the foreground elements pop. So if you had a city scene with a epic battle in the foreground, you might want to blend the buildings in the backgrounds a bit to bring out the characters a bit more.

Saying all that, I'm probably wrong or missing some important piece of info in that regard.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: chilipenguin on 21 September, 2010, 12:09:58 AM
Anyone have any decent tutorials on using holds in Photoshop?

Create a new Normal Layer called Holds. Load the lineart as a selection (CTRL or CMD-click the layer thumbnail for your lineart layer, or activate the channel if you're using a channel to protect the lineart). Put it to the Holds layer at the top of the stack. Pick your hold colour and paint over the bits of the lineart you want to change.

(If you're not getting a clean selection of your lineart, then it's probably anti-aliased. For colouring you do NOT want soft edges to your linework. Photoshop has conditioned people to think that jagged edges on linework is bad, but being able to see the jaggies when you zoom in to 600% is immaterial to how the art will print.)

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

chilipenguin

Is there nothing you don't know Jim?  :D

That's pretty much what I did and you're right, I can't see the jaggies in a web version but there is a block of black in the line hold that I can't get rid of for some reason.

staticgirl

Thanks for the info both of you - must try that sometime.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: chilipenguin on 21 September, 2010, 01:55:32 PM
Is there nothing you don't know Jim? 

Colouring is on my list once I get done with inking. I started to grapple with colouring first, because the nuts and bolts of its mechanics mesh very well with my background in print production, but I found trying to grasp two disciplines at once meant that I was effectively doing neither, so I stuck colouring on the back-burner while I had a bash at raising my inking game.

Although I don't care for the finished style their technique seems to create, the Hi Fi Digitial Color book is totally worth it, if only for the sections on prepping and flatting.

As I've mentioned before, the gold standard for colouring advice on the web is gutterzombie where you'll find the likes of Dave McCaig, Laura Martin (recently described by Todd Klein as the best colourist in comics) and John Rauch, plus many, many other pro colourists. Putting work up for crit there is a bit nerve-wracking but always worth it.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

chilipenguin

Cheers Jim. I've signed up to gutterzombie but haven't posted anything there yet. I don't understand half of what people are saying so that's a bad sign from the start. Need to man up and go for it I guess.